3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 3:09 PM by Mark Elmore

Issue printing from Chrome to black/white printer

David Alexander Scout

We recently rolled out Pharos with PS200 print release stations, and we are running into an issue printing from the Chrome browser.

Chrome does not seem to have an option to specify whether a print job is color or black and white.  Chrome is passing a "color" attribute when a job gets sent to a black/white print queue, and we get an error message when trying to release the print job.

We tried playing with the settings in the Pharos server, but we couldn't come up with the right settings to get this to work.

I wanted to know if anyone else has run into this issue and if there's a solution.

Thanks,

Dave

• Re: Issue printing from Chrome to black/white printer
          Jeff Herald Guide

Dave,

There are many known problems with “Chrome and printing” which happen without a Pharos product involved.  The key phrase here is “Chrome does not seem to have an option to specify whether a print job is color or black and white”.  If you have a Uniprint configuration that does not have a dedicated B&W vs Color queue, then the driver on the client is probably a Color driver and the user decides the printing options for each print job.  If the user is not given an option to choose B&W, then it will send using the default settings on the queue on the client, apparently in color in this case. I believe a configuration or workflow change is all that is needed to resolve this problem.  The goal being that when a Chrome user chooses to print, the default settings are compatible with the queue (B&W in this case).  I’d recommend contacting Support to see what configuration options might be available to help. 

-Jeff Herald - Pharos Systems

Technical Product Manager for Uniprint and Mobile Print

Kurt Albrecht Tracker

We have found in our print shop that printing from any browser adds significantly to the risk of getting strange results.  Our much repeated advice is to download the file (when possible) and print from the device.

Mark Elmore Adventurer

David,

We had a similar issue however after some investigating we found that the problem for us was with the driver we were using for our printers. We found a replacement driver that was compatible with our setup and have since had no further issues with it. We force black and white through our black and white queues so no matter if a document has color in it or not if it goes to the black and white queue it only comes out as black and white. I hope this gives you an idea of a work around at the very least.