20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 6:47 PM by Jeff Herald

MobilePrint 2 App for Android?

Kurt Albrecht Tracker

Is the app available for Android yet?  Or did I miss it?

We have our orientation sessions for next year beginning soon, and we would like to have it available as soon as practicable.

Kurt

• Re: MobilePrint 2 App for Android?
          John Siegel Guide

I'd second that. I've mentioned before that for the sake of appearing neutral, CU won't support using the IOS app,  unless\until  Android users have the same options.

~John

Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Kurt,

It is not available yet.

Thanks,

Pharos Support

Jeff Geller

Kurt Albrecht Tracker

Also:  Since Windows is fast becoming a "Mobile" OS, Is there anything in the works for a Windows APP?  or is that just known as a shortcut in a browser?  (Heaven forbid that I use 2 touchs/clicks instead of 1.)

Kurt

Jeff Herald Guide

Hi all, sorry for the delayed response.  As you an imagine, there is a lot going on here at Pharos this time of year.  I want to let everyone know what we are doing on this subject.  We are working on a new "small screen friendly" web interface for the Pharos Print Center.  This will allow the full functionality of the Print Center on any Android, Windows mobile, or other device via the browser.  I will post some screen shots as soon as I can.  We anticipate the release of this updated web interface in August.  This will allow all non-iOS devices to use the Print Center without the complications of an app.  Apps for the various flavors of Android and Windows and other (Kindle Fire?) are difficult to produce and maintain.  We expect this to work with the web interface in a user-friendly way without the need for an app.  Early development is looking good.  It has a similar look and fell to an app.  Users will be able to log on, upload files, modify the print properties of the Mobile Print jobs and release them, if allowed from the Print Center already (settings for that are in the Pharos Admin tool).  Users will even be able to see their account balance and add funds (if offered by your site).  I hope to provide more details as we progress in development, so hang in there.  Our teams are working hard to bring good products to our customers.

-Jeff Herald

Technical Product Manager - Uniprint and Mobile Print

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    andrew Tracker

Jeff Herald wrote:

Hi all, sorry for the delayed response.  As you an imagine, there is a lot going on here at Pharos this time of year.  I want to let everyone know what we are doing on this subject.  We are working on a new "small screen friendly" web interface for the Pharos Print Center.  This will allow the full functionality of the Print Center on any Android, Windows mobile, or other device via the browser.  I will post some screen shots as soon as I can.  We anticipate the release of this updated web interface in August.  This will allow all non-iOS devices to use the Print Center without the complications of an app.  Apps for the various flavors of Android and Windows and other (Kindle Fire?) are difficult to produce and maintain.  We expect this to work with the web interface in a user-friendly way without the need for an app.  Early development is looking good.  It has a similar look and fell to an app.  Users will be able to log on, upload files, modify the print properties of the Mobile Print jobs and release them, if allowed from the Print Center already (settings for that are in the Pharos Admin tool).  Users will even be able to see their account balance and add funds (if offered by your site).  I hope to provide more details as we progress in development, so hang in there.  Our teams are working hard to bring good products to our customers.

-Jeff Herald

Let me say "Awesome!" and "excellent direction".

If I may, I would really recommend  allowing the inclusion of iOS devices be left up to the institution (i.e. whether they want to support it as a "small screen friendly" web-browsing client or as a dedicated "app" client). I understand the reasons for making the iOS app, but we like choices these days and I can see that being one we would like to make and/or change with the climate...

Jeff Herald Guide

Thank you for the feedback, Andrew.  Remember, the reason there is an iOS app is because there are limitations (imposed by Apple) on accessing the files on the phone.  iOS users could potentially use the Print Center web interface, but they would be unable to use the upload capability.  It wouldn't be possible to upload a file from an iOS device.  Other mobile devices do not have that limitation, they can browse for files on their device for upload.  As for not allowing the user to use the iOS app, the administrators can prevent that by not publishing the address to enter in the App, thereby limiting access.  I believe most administrators will prefer to allow many different paths to use this system, rather than fewer.  The main problem at this time is the discrepancy in access options between iOS devices and others.  We are working on the quickest remedy to that situation.  More to come on this topic soon.

-Jeff Herald - Pharos Systems

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                            Kurt Albrecht Tracker

I Have had my first look this week at Print Center on a couple of Android web browsers and I note the lack of function.  What is the timeline for adding the ability to upload files and view activity?

Kurt

Jeff Herald Guide

Kurt,

The timeline is that we plan to have that option available sometime in August 2015.

-Jeff Herald - Pharos Systems

Technical Product Manager - Uniprint and Mobile Print.

David Poprik Wayfarer

You DEFINITELY need an android app, not just a web page.  Or... pull the apple app so all platforms are equal please.

Given than any platforms app only has to query a web service for info I don't really understand the delay for all platforms ?  :/

andrew Tracker

Why is the android app necessary?
                                        I have zero interest in an adroid app; the web page works just fine on those devices, in my testing and to my knowledge.

I WISH iOS was better, because the app is awful. I don't blame the app, though, because if the device worked better, they could just use the intuitive web page...

David Poprik Wayfarer

With the apple app you can "Open In" to send any document from apps that support open in to Pharos directly via the installed app.

You may have zero interest but we do.  The web page doesn't really do anything useful on a mobile device currently for printing.  To quote a group of customers taking a look at it recently "Whats the point of that?"  Yes, Yes.. I know... you can tweak some document settings but most people just want to print.  You can email docs as well I know..... got that memo too.

Make them all equal or Pharos should stop saying they do mobile print. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                Katherine Baynton Ranger

It should be possible to use the 'Upload' button in the website to select any document on the (android) device to upload it.  Apple does not provide access to the file structure of the device so this option is not usable on Apple devices - hence the need for an app with Apple devices.

David Poprik Wayfarer

Its actually not possible from my android phone.  Some folks select desktop sight and they get the full site and get the upload option.  I don't when I choose desktop.  I can strip part of the jquery off the URL string and get the full site.   Perhaps 2.1 works but we haven upgraded yet.

It also isn't a replacement for full OS support and integration with an App.

Jeff Herald Guide

Please be patient, this new interface hasn't been released yet.  It is still being developed.  I would request that everyone please wait for the announcement before judging it.  Thank you.

-Jeff Herald

Pharos Systems

andrew Tracker

On our test site, we removed android from the mobile devices list, so they no longer get the mobile page at all.  They only see the full page,  and it works quit well, though with beaucoup scrolling on regular sized Galaxy s4 and 5. This leads me to be very supportive of the direction indicated by Pharos, and critical of Apple's peekaboo games which force their users into silly apps to get done what simple Web pages should accomplish. Yay Pharos! Keep up the good work!

YMMV

Kurt Albrecht Tracker

Just had my first look at the Apple app on an iPad:  neither uploading nor history are available.   Wasn't that supposed to be the point of the app?

I echo Andrews kudos to Pharos

Kurt

bsullivan@pharos.com Navigator

Kurt,

You use the "Open In" option within other apps or select attachments in emails and the "Open In" Pharos print to upload content. iOS does not allow an "upload" button for content on the device.History is not yet available in the Pharos Print app yet. but we do plan on expanding the features of the app. Also we have new PPC mobile web pages coming very soon which will show activity to the user on an iOS device.

Regards

Bill

David Poprik Wayfarer

Here is a question for Pharos.  Will the new mobile pages require update to 2.1 Mobile Print or will they work with 2.0 ?