3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2015 9:50 AM by tcampbell@pharos.com

Device discovery question

David DeWolfe Newbie

Hello;

We, the University of Alaska - Fairbanks, are new to Beacon and are in the process of evaluating it. We have, via the Beacon web portal, created a Scout and obtained a registration code. We then downloaded the software and installed it on a Windows system. I have successfully used the Windows Device Scout Discovery application to discover devices and upload them to the Beacon server where we can view them and their toner levels etc. My question is regarding device discovery as it relates to the web portal. If I select my device scout in the portal and click on "Configure" I can configure IP addresses and address ranges to scan and when to perform the scans etc. This would seem to imply that the scans would be originating from a Pharos server somewhere. Is that the case? I have read through the posts on this forum and I have seen references to using the Windows app when you want to perform manual, on-demand device discovery but I am unclear as to how the automated discovery takes place and where the scans are initiated. If anything is initiated on the Pharos side we'd obviously need to know where the traffic was coming from and on what port so that we could allow it through firewalls etc.

Can someone clarify this process for me and/or point me at the applicable documentation?

Thanks.

David.

djdewolfe@alaska.edu

• Re: Device discovery question
          Jeff Geller Guide

Hi David,

Thank you for your questions.

All the scanning is done by the Device Scout that you have installed internal to your network.  So no scanning is coming in from the outside internet to your network, this is why we install it internal to your environment.

On the Discovery item, the Device Scout has a manual discovery process which allow you to configure a set of IP Address ranges to scan.  When you open the Device Scout Discovery tool you will see a set of ranges (image below), these come from the configuration settings you made in the Beacon web site.

When I add IP Address ranges to the settings for the Scout in Beacon those settings will be given to the Device Scout you installed the next time it periodically "checks in" to Beacon in the cloud.  This is how those configuration settings make their way down to the machine running the Device Scout.

If you change the configuration of the Device Scout in Beacon and would like to see those settings populate quickly to the Device Scout you installed internal to your environment, you will have to make the change in Beacon first then on the client machine running the Device Scout open the Device Scout Configuration tool and use the File menu > Restart Device Scout Service (image below).  This will cause the Scout to "check-in" and it will obtain the scan change settings you made in Beacon.

Let me know if that helps.

Regards,

Jeff Geller

Pharos Technical Support

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              David DeWolfe Newbie

Jeff;

Thanks very much for the information. I do experience the behavior you detail with regard to changing the Device Scout in Beacon and restarting the Device Scout Service on our internal Windows system. After doing so I see the devices appear in Beacon. However, to date I have not experienced the behavior by which when I add IP addresses or ranges to the Beacon configuration they are automatically added to the Device Scout on our internal machine. I have tested the server configuration via the Device Scout Configuration utility and the test is successful. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

David

tcampbell@pharos.com Tracker

Hi David,

The Device Scout will pick up the new IP ranges that were configured within the Beacon web portal upon its next check in.  You can speed up this process by launching the Device Scout Configuration application, selecting the Tasks tab, then clicking the Refresh Tasks button.  If you then open the Device Scout Discovery application, you should see the new IP ranges, as specified within the Beacon web portal.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tim.

1 of 1 people found this helpful