1 Reply Latest reply on May 5, 2015 11:01 AM by Timothy Grzeczka

Migrating to new server - regarding printer drivers

George Esler Newbie

In the near future I will be migrating/upgrading our uniprint installation from 8.3 on a 32-bit Server 2003 server to uniprint 9.0 on a 64-bit Server 2012 R2 server.

I've been looking through documentation regarding the actual printers and getting the drivers installed on the new server and the proper order to do everything. So far, the new server is a blank slate with little more than the OS and SQL installed. I am looking for guidance on the printer migration, that is, getting all the necessary queues and drivers set up on the new server.

I was going to do something like this, in this order:

- Install print management role in Windows on new server

- Make note of drivers that we need installed on the new server and manually include them if not already present

- Install Pharos principal services/database on new server

- Manually upgrade and migrate old database to new server per Pharos documentation

- Install remaining Pharos server components on new server

- Open Pharos Administrator, use "Restore Windows object" command for each print device to recreate all the windows print objects

- Finish installing/upgrading/tweaking other components as needed (since I'm mainly looking for guidance on the printers I am just using this one line to lump everything else together)

QUESTIONS:

1. Are there any steps I missed above, or perhaps listed out of order?

2. Is there any particular advantage or disadvantage to the automated print migration tool versus the manual process I outlined above?

3. Does it matter how I install the print server role? I understand Pharos includes something on the installer CD, for this role, is it okay that I installed the role through Windows before installing Pharos?

4. Do I need 32-bit and 64-bit drivers on new server? The way I see it, the clients are not printing directly to the printers, so I shouldn't need to worry about the 32-bit drivers, correct?

5. Are there any other considerations I should take into account?

• Re: Migrating to new server - regarding printer drivers
          Timothy Grzeczka Pioneer

1. Your steps look fine based on the workflow I did in the Spring to do a very similar migration. My server is a mix of Pharos and non-Pharos queues so I had to work with the Windows Print Migration tools.

2. I used the Print Migration Tool since I had a mix of Pharos and non-Pharos queues. If you have all Pharos queues there nothing wrong with your workflow.

3. We installed the Printer Role directly from Windows and then let the Pharos installer do what it wanted when we installed.

4. You'll need 64-bit drivers for the server for sure since it's the server OS. If you have any clients installing or using packages or queues that are 32-bit (yes, we still have plenty here) then you need the 32-bit drivers as well.

5. I used and followed the Pharos migration directions and they were spot on and a huge help for planning the project. One of the easiest server migrations I've done.