9 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2015 3:28 PM by Jeff Herald

Print Migration from old to new server

Ralph Miller Scout

I am working on moving from Uniprint 8.4 and Windows Server 2008 R2 to a new server running Uniprint 9.0 and Server 2012 R2. It is suggested that I can use the MS Print Migration Wizard to move my printers from the old server to the new, but MS does not make any mention of Server 2012 R2 being a supported OS. Has anyone else here successfully used this tool in this situation?

Also, anyone else successfully used the Uniprint tools DatabaseMigrationTool.exe and NameSyncTool.exe in a similar upgrade as I am planning? Looking for any advice or "gotchas" to watch out for in this move. My old server is running SQL 2008 and I "hope" to use SQL 2014 on the new machine but can use SQL 2012 if necessary. Thanks in advance!

• Re: Print Migration from old to new server
          Jeff Herald Guide

In preparation to respond, I tested the Printer Migration tool to migrate printers and settings from a Server 2008 R2 to a Server 2012 R2 system.  I followed Microsoft's recommendation to run the export from the higher server (2012 R2).  By that, I mean I ran the tool on the 2012 R2 server against the 2008 R2 server across the network, to pull the settings from there.  The export was fairly quick, but the import took quite a while (maybe an hour).  Not sure why it took so long, but it did work. My test VMs get a lot of abuse, so that may have had something to do with it.  With that said, I have read many accounts on the Internet which indicate that sometimes drivers do not transfer well, so your mileage may vary.

I can also tell you that Uniprint 9.0 is not supported on SQL server 2014, so please use SQL server 2012 (or 2008).  We expect the next version of Uniprint to function on 2014.  There are some old functions that have been removed from SQL 2014, so we need to make changes in the database structure to ensure 100% compliance with 2014.

As for the Uniprint tools (DatabaseMigrationTool.exe and NameSyncTool.exe), I have no comments to provide.  I have no reason to think they won't work for you, as documented.  Good luck with your migration, and remember to have a backout plan to be on the safe side.  That's always good advice.

-Jeff Herald - Pharos Systems

Technical Product Manager for Uniprint

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              Ralph Miller Scout

Jeff, Thanks for the info. How soon do you see the next version of Uniprint coming out? If it is relatively soon, say a month or so, I may delay building the new server. If not that soon, I'll need to track down a copy of SQL 2012 here at work.

George Esler Newbie

I hope it's okay to jump into this discussion.

Regarding the migration of printers, I guess I may have misunderstood something. I was under the impression that no migration of printers was necessary since versions 8.3 and above of Uniprint no longer use printer objects. I thought it was enough to pre-install the drivers on the new server, and that the normal Pharos installation and subsequent database migration would create the necessary printer queues in Pharos on the new server. Can someone elaborate on this and/or point me to some documentation? I have downloaded the 9.0 planning guide, upgrade guide, etc., and will be double-checking them again as well to see if this is covered in depth in them.

Jeff Herald Guide

It's not true that Uniprint versions 8.3 and above do not use Windows Printer Objects.  A Windows queue is still used (and created by Uniprint) for inbound print jobs.  What changed between 8.2 and 8.3 is that the inbound Windows queue no longer holds the print job (also the queue is not paused) and that the outbound Windows print queues are no longer needed.  The moment that a job is received into the inbound Windows queue, it is picked up and processed by the Pharos Secure Release service.  That makes Uniprint less reliant on the Windows Printing System.

As for migration paths, there are many options. One is to do as the original poster said and use the Windows Migration tool to move the queues and drivers.  Another is to use the Pharos Server Migration Tools, as you suggested.  Both are possible choices and the best path is up to the person doing the migration.

George Esler Newbie

So if I pre-install the necessary drivers (if not already present), do a "clean" install of Uniprint 9.0 on the new server, and successfully migrate the database per the Pharos documentation (I was planning on doing it the manual way using the provided queries to upgrade the database), then I should expect to see the necessary queues on the Windows side?

Also, when you say "inbound Windows queue" are you referring to the queues in the printer folder on the server that are named after the queues found in Pharos Administrator under "Output Management" / "Queues" (as opposed to the queues named after the individual printers that were also used pre-8.3)?

Jeff Herald Guide

Unless someone corrects me, I believe after you migrate the database using the tool, you will have to go into the Pharos Administrator, under the Output Management/Queues context, and use the Restore Windows Printer Object action on the right side to recreate the queue in Windows.  You'll need to have the drivers installed first.

"Also, when you say "inbound Windows queue" are you referring to the queues in the printer folder on the server that are named after the queues found in Pharos Administrator under "Output Management" / "Queues" (as opposed to the queues named after the individual printers that were also used pre-8.3)?"

Yes, that is what I mean.

Ralph Miller Scout

Jeff, Wondering if I could pick your brain for one more thing. I am trying to run the database migration tool and it starts and runs but then stops. A copy of the log is below. I can't find any documentation for this error. What do I need to do to make this toll run? Thanks.

Processing commandline parameters...

Old Server Details:

Server Name: UPJ-PHAROS-01

UserID : pitt\rmmiller

Password : ********

SqlServerAuthentication : True

WindowsAuthentication : False

UpdateRemotePharosServers : False

DisplayHelp : False

New Server Details:

UserID : pharos1

Password : ********

Database Path :

SqlServerAuthentication : True

WindowsAuthentication : False

UpdateRemotePharosServers : False

DisplayHelp : False

Checking for files...

Checked files.

Operation started.

Fetching Pharos database name and user name from UPJ-PHAROS-01 registry...

Fetched Pharos database name and user name from UPJ-PHAROS-01 registry...

Fetching Pharos database name and user name from UPJ-PHAROS-01A registry...

Fetched Pharos database name and user name from UPJ-PHAROS-01A registry...

Fetching Pharos database version from UPJ-PHAROS-01 registry...

Fetched Pharos database version from UPJ-PHAROS-01 registry. Pharos DB version is 7987.

Fetching Pharos database version from UPJ-PHAROS-01A registry...

Fetched Pharos database version from UPJ-PHAROS-01A registry. Pharos DB version is 8467.

Performing validations...

Performed validations.

Fetching Sql Server Instance from UPJ-PHAROS-01 registry...

Fetched Sql Server Instance from UPJ-PHAROS-01 registry. Sql Server Instance is : UPJ-PHAROS-01

Fetching Sql Server Instance from UPJ-PHAROS-01A registry...

Fetched Sql Server Instance from UPJ-PHAROS-01A registry. Sql Server Instance is : UPJ-PHAROS-01A

Connecting to UPJ-PHAROS-01...

Failed to connect to Pharos database on UPJ-PHAROS-01. Failed to get Pharos database file path.

Jeff Herald Guide

The error indicates that the tool could not connect to the remote SQL database.  Either it is because the Windows account/password it is attempting to log in with is not correct, or that account does not have access to the database, or perhaps it doesn't have access remotely.  It is probably best to open a support ticket to get further assistance.  I'm not sure this is the proper forum for getting detailed technical support.  We have a fine team of support engineers who can help you get to the root of the problem.

-Jeff

Jeff Herald Guide

At this time, the next version of Uniprint is expected to be in General Release form by the end of June.  Delays due to beta testing are always possible.  More information about the next version will be released soon.