AnsweredAssumed Answered

Show Print Usage by Printer's assigned Building

Question asked by Paul LaFollette on Apr 7, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 by Cal Curtice

In the Print data, wouldn't it be better to have Beacon list the "Buildings" according to the printer's assigned "Building" instead of the Building (AD "Office") assigned to the user's AD record?  The AD user's "Office" is useful data when you're looking at a specific printer, but not so useful when you're trying to get data for a whole Building.

An Example.  All these "Buildings" are actually different offices within the same Building.

PrintScout_BuildingView.jpg

These "Buildings" are actually the "Office" field from the AD records for the users.  Depending on the organization, the "Office field in AD is going to be filled in a variety of ways and may not be consistent at all, rendering the current list by "Buildings" almost completely useless.   The data only because useful when the Print Admin advances to Device and selects a specific printer.

In the image above, the letters "KIM" in the Building name indicate offices in our "Kimball" building.  I can get Print usage/analytics for those individual offices or persons, but not for the whole "Kimball" building.  In Fleet Manager I can assign/set printers to be a specific Building, but that assignment isn't used in the Print data.

It's good that Beacon pulls AD information.   However, that information in the AD may not be all that useful to the print administrator at a whole "Building" or "Area" view. (in my opinion)

Also, most Print Admins using Beacon would also be Print Admins that are using Pharos, correct?   Would the AD User info for the Students be populated with the "Office" field?  Not ours.  This means I have a HUGE total in the "Unknown" building.   What good is that?  If the data was shown by the printer's assigned "Building", then it could be useful data.

PrintScout_BuildingView2.jpg

Maybe I'm not understanding the data correctly?

Thanks,

- Paul L.

Outcomes