4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2015 2:08 PM by cwilson@pharos.com

age of devices

Bill Kasper Guide

we know the service start date of all our devices (and we only bring in new devices).  is there any way to substitute actual start dates into the fleet effective age, so we actually have a real piece of information, rather than something calculated on a dubious basis?  i say dubious because there's nothing to say in the equation "Total Life Count Meter / Target Monthly Volume (months)" that "target monthly volume (months)" is accurate.  in fact, i doubt it was ever intended to be used as a way of calculating age, since there's very little chance of a device pegging its target month after month...

• Re: age of devices
          Guide

Hi Bill, we pull the device introduction date from third party market research data. Your idea to override it with the actual date of purchase is a good one. I will create an idea for that and link it here. Thanks!

Guide

I created an idea for the override ability: Ability to override device introduction date 

Bill Kasper Guide

thanks, carrie.

i imagine the device effective age as is currently calculated is to get an idea of how hard a machine has been used.  the problem for me is that % utilization is what i'd use to figure that out.

it's the target volume that's the problem here.  for example, if i have a device i've been using for 5 months since it was introduced (new) into my fleet, and it has a total meter of 1000 clicks, that makes the actual average volume/month 200 clicks, giving it an effective age of 1000/200, or 5 months (which is, obviously, correct).  but if the manufacturer's target is 100 copies/month, it would give me an effective age of 1000/100, or 10 months.  while that's useful, i suppose, to show me when i've reached an effective age of 60 months (for leases of that length), i'd rather know what my fleet's actual age is by calendar date because then i can use it as a planning tool.  i can also compare a device's actual age against its % utilization for other purposes.

bill