14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2015 2:46 PM by Kaisha Prochaska

Pharos remote Uniprint 9.0 not working on Windows 8.1

Kaisha Prochaska Adventurer

We recently upgraded to Uniprint 9.0 and I have applied all the hot fixes, but I am still having issues getting Pharos Remote to work properly on a Windows 8.1 pc.  It will open but  if a user has permissions to see the queued jobs, in remote they can not see the jobs or any part of the Job Mgmt.  However same account logs into Pharos Remote on a Windows 7 pc and everything is fine. Just wondered if anyone else had seen this issue and possibly had a fix.  Thanks.

• Re: Pharos remote Uniprint 9.0 not working on Windows 8.1
          Steven English Guide

Kaisha,

Off the top of my head, it sounds like this may be a firewall issue as odd as that sounds. Can you confirm whether the values match from the Windows 8 and Windows 7 machines as directed below?

1. Login to Windows
          2. Launch Pharos Remote
          3. Confirm things are working/broken (depending on your OS)
          4. Record the value in this reg key:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Pharos\Remote\Last Logon Server

If the values are different, try swapping them to see if the problem follows the machine with the "bad" print server.  You will need to change the reg key, then relaunch Pharos Remote (close it if it is open) in order to see if it "fixed" the problem.  If you do swap them please label for me which one was originally on the Windows 8 machine so I know it is the "bad" one.  If this does make things work, then we need to address the root issue indicated in the opening sentence.

Regards,

Steven

They do match and they are both showing the correct server information.  I did try turning off the local firewall and that hasn't changed the issue.  I have also tried running remote in compatibility mode and that's not working either.  Thanks.

Steven English Guide

Bummer.  I have seen systems that connect to different print servers, and the different print servers are blocked by firewall from talking to each other which prevented jobs on other servers from listing properly. More questions...

1. Do you have more than one print server?
                2. Presuming the machines are 64-bit, what value is in the following key (if they are 32-bit, skip the Wow6432Node portion)?
                  1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Pharos\Database Server\Host Address
                3. Does that value match the one on the working Win 7 machine?

Did you make sure that the hotfix (Rev 69) was not Blocked Files Information before you unzipped and executed/installed it?  Have you tried uninstalling Pharos Remote, rebooting, and then reinstalling it? Did you install it using a DNS name for the database, or an IP address?  Have you tried installing the Pharos Administrator to see if the issue is specific to the Pharos Remote?

Regards,

Steven

brad Pioneer

We're on an older version, so my help is likely going to be very limited - I actually have a question for you regarding the environment - is Pharos Remote still a client in 9? If so, I see that you mention you've logged into Remote as Admin - but (if it's a client, rather than web-based - otherwise my entire post is pretty much redundant), have you tried RUNNING it as Admin, in case it's a UAC-based issue?

Yes remote is still a client in 9.0.  When I say logged in as admin, I mean a user with Admin permissions.  I have tried running it as admin and in compatibility mode and neither work.

Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Kaisha,

Pharos Remote needs to connect to various endpoints on the Uniprint server.

1. The Pharos Database Service or Database Proxy Service if present on port 2355

2. The License Service on port 2352

3. The Print Service on port 2353

4. The Signup Service on port 2351 (If you are using Signup)

When you telnet from the client to the server on each of those ports you should see a very similar response as in the image below.  The important part is the top left corner where it says "PSCOM" then below that the word "AUTHENTICATE".

When you install Pharos Remote it also installs the Pharos LogSetter utility.  I would recommend turning this on and gathering a log file from the system and open a Support incident with us at Pharos Support to continue to troubleshoot with that log file.  The LogSetter should be "run as administrator" by right-clicking on it and selecting that option from at the bottom of the screen as Windows 8.1 provides.  A picture of the tool is below.  Simply check the box for log to file and click apply.

Reproduce the problem, capture the log and send this with an email to support@pharos.com along with the description you mentioned at the top of the post.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you would like me to create a support incident in our system for you.

Regards,

Jeff Geller

Pharos Support

1 of 1 people found this helpful

So thanks to Jeff, I have the answer.  Seems that even though I could resolve the server name and ip using nslookup, it was a DNS issue.  I entered the NetBIOS name in the hosts file with the IP and Pharos Remote works fine on our Windows 8.1 pc's.  Seems weird this is only an issue on Win 8.1 and not our Win 7 pc's, but that's the fix.  Hope it helps anyone else having issues.

Jeff Geller Guide

To loop back on this one more time, this was a defect found in that Pharos Remote was being provided the License Server name from the registry of the Principal Server.  When the registry key on the Principal server "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Pharos\License Server" contains the NetBIOS name this is what is passed back to the Pharos Remote application.

To correct the behavior so Pharos Remote uses the FQDN of the server you can follow the steps below.

Note: The steps do require a restart of the Pharos Database Service and most often service restarts need to happen off hours.

1. On the server hosting the Pharos License Service open the registry and navigate to the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Pharos\License Server".

2. Change the 'Host Address' value from the NetBIOS name to the FQDN of the server.

3. Restart the Pharos Database Service, this in turn will restart many other Pharos Services.

4. Remove any HOSTS file entries you may have added on the client machine.

5. Re-launch Pharos Remote.

Regards,

Pharos Support

Jeff Geller

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          Rachel Deaton Navigator

Thanks for looping us in on the answer, Kaisha! I am glad everything is resolved. Let me know if there is anything that I can do for you