5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2015 7:25 PM by Richard Post

Logging - When, How, and Why ?

Richard Post Guide

I often get the question, "Should I be logging my Pharos servers ?"

Basically, you should not be logging unless you are actively troubleshooting some sort of issue.

Logging to files adds I/O workload to your servers and will negatively affect performance.

It also fills up disk space, especially if you forget to turn it off.

What if I am actively troubleshooting an issue ?  What is the best practice ?

For an issue that is reproducible, use the "Log to DebugView" setting and use the Microsoft SysInternals DebugView tool

Run the dbgview.exe as an Administrator

Select to Capture all event types (as picture shows)

Get ready to perform the steps that create the error response

Clear the logs in DebugView (CTRL-X)

Perform the steps to create the error response

Click on the magnifying glass to stop capture (CTRL-E)

Use the Filter/Highlight (CTRL-L) to find what you are looking for (separated by semi-colons for multiple)

Here is what I use (and it will follow from use to use)

If the error state is not manually reproducible or it is intermittent in nature, then use the Log to File method.

The Pharos LogSetter will turn on all Uniprint logging on the server it is installed on.  If you have multiple servers, you will need to turn it on for all of them.

Additionally, MobilePrint logs are turned on by changing the config file and restarting the MobilePrint services.

** These are just my thoughts and experiences and do not necessarily reflect the views of Pharos as a whole :-)  **