9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2015 11:38 AM by jatwater

Hosting device scout

Bill Kasper Guide

This might be a stoopid question, but since I'm more of an end-user than an IT guy (knowing just enough to be dangerous), is there a need to have a stand-alone server for a device scout?  Or can, like the Uniprint scout, I run it on one of my Pharos servers?  I have 3, a principal server/print server, a print server, and a MobilePrint server.

I'd really like not to have to pay for another Windows Server VM.

• Re: Hosting device scout
          Paul LaFollette Guide

I think it's a valid question, and I'd like to know.  I also think it's curious how the documentation repeatedly states the device beacon can coexist with other .NET items and other SNMP operations but carefully avoids naming anything.  Lists a wide variety of systems it can be on (including popular Workstation OS versions) then simply states a Server OS is suggested.

The documentation states Uniprint Scout and Beacon Print Scout cannot coexist on the same system (and Beacon Print Scout cannot be on any Uniprint server) ... but no mention is made if Device Scout can coexist with the Uniprint Scout, or if Device Scout can be on a Uniprint Server.

bsullivan@pharos.com Navigator

There is no need to have a stand alone server for a Device Scout, any windows server with access to the network will suffice and it does not need to be dedicated to this activity.  We have had device scouts discover 10K+ devices from a non-dedicated server without any resource issues.

Cheers

Bill

Paul LaFollette Guide

At what point does it become advantageous to have more than one device scout?

For example:  I have one device scout on a system that can read into nearly all (if not all) subnets in our network.  It found 420 printers (I *think* that might be ALL of the networked printers).  We have perhaps 20,000 users.  

Should the one device scout be plenty for my system?

Would I benefit from more than one device scout?

Since we are a growing institution, at what point would I need to increase number of device scouts?

Thanks,

- Paul L.

Tracker

Hi Paul,

Couple reasons I can think of:

- not all your subnets are accessible from one central location for SNMP scanning

- there is significant latency reaching remote subnets (SNMP is UDP-based, and it will suffer over congested network links)

- Device scout tasks are conflicting with one another because they can't finish in time for the next task to start.

Regarding the last item, you would probably have to be in the 5,000+ device range before task contention becomes an issue. But even then, it will depend on the network, the devices being discovered, and the fragmentation of your network ranges (ie, how much blank space the scout has to iterate through to find a real device).

--Jesse

Bill Kasper Guide

Bill, in your correct answer I don't see an answer to "Or can, like the Uniprint scout, I run it on one of my Pharos servers?"?  That is, given we don't have access to any other servers, will there be any issues running the device scout on the same machine as the Uniprint scout?  Or if I run the Uniprint Scout on our principal/print server, is there any conflict in running the device scout on my secondary print server?  Or even the MobilePrint server?

I am trying to avoid conflicts between scouting and Uniprint, etc.

Thanks.

Bill

John Siegel Guide

Hi Bill,

Since all our devices are on the network, I'm running the device scout on a windows 7 workstation!  All I needed it for was to add our printing devices.

~John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            Bill Kasper Guide

John, do you think I can run it on a VirtualBox instance of Win7 from a Mac?

John Siegel Guide

Hi Bill,

I don't know why not, as long as you use the correct scout app. I'm running Win 7 on a dual boot machine built on a MAC box. I have a list of the IP's for all our devices. They all use static IP's. I simply saved them as a .csv file and imported the list into the discovery app. It capture the devices and then all I had to do was upload to the server. I still have a problem with it not importing the location of the device, so I add the friendly name column, and edit each device to match our system name. Once that's done I have everything set up. We don't have any off network devices that we support, so I can skip loading the device scout on any workstations.

~John

Tracker

Bill, any of those scenarios are fine for the device scout, provided those servers have sufficient horsepower to run a second application (typically not an issue for a recently-provisioned server).

--Jesse