5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2015 2:16 PM by Paul LaFollette

Missing data

Yadin Flammer Navigator

Seeing a lot of issues with missing data for devices.

Under Fleet -> Toner, 12 of the 88 listed devices have no date of last supply read and all supply levels say Not available.  These are a mix of makes and models with no apparent reason why they failed to report.

Under Fleet -> Status, there are NO statuses at all, and every device in the last read column has an alert icon that when moused over says the scout is reporting erroneous date values.  Huh?

Under Fleet -> Meter, there are a LOT of devices that list Not Available for the Print Count.  This should (as seems to be the case) be the total of the mono and color (if available) life counts, but for some reason fails to calculate/ report on a lot of printers, both color and B&W.

• Re: Missing data
          Yadin Flammer Navigator

Interesting... I just found in the Device Scout Discovery -> Options there is an on/off switch for Collect Status which is set OFF.  This option is NOT in the configuration on the server, unlike all the other options.  My assumption would be that these options are a two way communication between server and scout, and all options should be in both places as changing in either will change in the other.  However, it seems this is not why the status info is missing as I turned it on and ran another scan and there is still no status info.

Also, Host Name is missing from the server as a viewable column under Fleet -> Inventory.  You can see it collect the host name on the scout, but then that's not viewable on the server, which is an issue.  I see it IS available under Status though, so a check of what columns are available in which tabs may be prudent overall.

Tracker

Yadin, good catch on the hostname column, we need to true that up amongst all the fleet manager tabs. I'll get a fix in the works for that.

Regarding device scout settings, there's a one-way relationship between server-side and discovery utility settings. When you first open the discovery utility, it will update its settings from the server (Beacon-side) configuration. However any changes you make within the Discovery utility are NOT transferred back up to the cloud, they will only exist for as long as the Discovery utility is open.

This is intentional, since the discovery utility can be used for testing out different scans or combinations of settings that you might not be ready to commit back to your permanent configuration. There may be a need to manually transfer settings up to Beacon, much the same way you can manually upload the discovery utility's findings to Beacon. What do you think?

--Jesse

Paul LaFollette Guide

I think the ability to upload new network ranges (and settings) would be good.   After the initial scans, I can see users wanting to update that list of ranges and to adjust settings, plus networks will change over time.

(my two cents)

Thanks,

- Paul L.

Yadin Flammer Navigator

Now that you lay out the intent, that makes sense and is useful.  I think however that the ability to have settings uploaded as an option would be very beneficial, or at least a nice convenience.  As is, once I tested a working set of settings I'd then have to go back to the console and re-input them and hope I didn't make a typo in an IP range or something.  A button in the scout to commit local settings to the console settings for that scout would be great, especially since the impression is that the communication is one way from client to cloud in all other ways (data upload and such).

$0.02 

Paul LaFollette Guide

Yadin,

I don't know what your fleet is like, but I see on mine Under Fleet -> Meter, nearly all of the units that show Not Available for the Print Count are models that would be called "Consumer Grade" printers (lower end, non-Enterprise level) or very very old models.  Most of my fleet are HP brand and the HP LaserJet 4000 (very, very old model) and HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401dn (a "consumer grade" model) are among those shows as "Not Available" for the Print Count, even though a "Life Count" is shown.

The units I have that are "Enterprise Grade" show (almost without exception) numbers in both the Life Count and Print Count columns.

I'm assuming the ability to get data for all the fields will vary with the "grade" of the printer.  The lower the grade, the less data, probably.  Which is too bad.  We all struggle to keep costs low and many of the lower cost printers can literally run circles around the workhorse printers of just 10 to 15 years ago.  Just depends on what gives you the best ROI in the end.