11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2015 3:49 PM by Jim Fritz

Missing devices

Yadin Flammer Navigator

I'm not sure what to make of all this.  The device scout said it found 97 devices and reported them to the server.  The server however only shows 88 devices.  Where did the others go?  I see where there are several missing, so this is rather curious.

• Re: Missing devices
          Tracker

Hi Yadin,

The device scout discovery tool will filter certain classes of devices when uploading to Beacon. Among the types of devices that would be filtered are barcode printers, label printers, and plotters.Any chance the 97 devices found by the device scout discovery tool includes such devices?

Also, would you want to see such devices in Beacon, assuming they report status/meter/toner levels?

Thanks!

Jesse

Yadin Flammer Navigator

Well that depends what you mean by plotters.  People use that term for our Designjets, and in that case what you are saying would explain why some of those (but not all) are missing.  We absolutely want to see those, they are extremely important for us.  This would then relate to one of my other posts, the fact that Beacon right now is only designed for laser printers apparently, because it only talks about toner.  We have Designjet 3200 printers that have 12 inks and need to see all those levels.  I can do a deeper inspection to figure out exactly which devices are not showing up if that will help.

Tracker

Yadin,

That's good to know about the wide-format devices you're interested in tracking, and you're correct that the Fleet Management grids are currently designed for cut-sheet devices. I'll pass this along to our product management team for review, if you do a deeper inspection and find other classes of devices you'd be interested in tracking, please let me know!

--Jesse

Yadin Flammer Navigator

It looks like designjets are the issue, that's 10 devices missing.  z3200ps, z3100ps, z6100ps, z6200ps models to be exact.  We just retired the 5500ps units.  Interestingly the t7100 does show up, apparently Beacon thinks it's a color laser.  It has the fewest inks, but it has light and dark gray along with CMYK inks so no idea what it's doing with the other info, or it's ignoring it.  The other printers have 8 or 12 inks of varying colors.

Jim Fritz Wayfarer

I agree that Plotters, label printers etc, should be seen and listed somewhere for viewing and management, but excluded from all regular Dashboard metrics.

John Siegel Guide

Hi Yadin,

Great info!  Just out of curiosity, are any of the devices running off a front end like Fiery? Any ported through an interface? The omegas allow you to combine a printer and omega as one static IP, then allow porting through to the printer.

Regards,

John

Yadin Flammer Navigator

Nope, we had total fail with external RIPs in the past so every device we get does internal RIP and is PS ready for cross platform use.  The exception is digital photo who can't use Uniprint because they need software that handles meta files with the spool file for high end color management.

Tracker

Hi John, just a quick comment on the Fiery front-ends- we do suppress most Fiery devices during the Device Scout's discovery. We have found that most of the time we can read data directly from the underlying printer (if connected directly to the network) and reading from the Fiery would result in double-counting meters. This would not work if the underlying printer is connected to the Fiery by a crossover cable.

Is that consistent with your typical Fiery deployment?

--Jesse