Hi guys, as per the subject line, I'm starting to look at our options for moving from 8.2 to 9, and just what's going to be involved - so to that end, I'm reaching out to those of you that have already made the jump (and/or those that have helped others do so) for feedback, suggestions, opinions, etc.
To start with, our environment consists of:
- Pharos SignUp 8.2.6005.202
- Uniprint + OffTheGlass
- 2 Windows 2008 R2 servers (one hosting the db, the other hosting the services/tools)
- A heavily customised login script for creating Guest logins etc. - a large portion of which I suspect will be made redundant by the upgrade
- 20-ish "Branches", 400-odd signup clients at various geographical locations, and 21 printers spread across those locations
- Omega PS-200 terminals attached to each of the printers (iMFP not available for our models of Xerox, last I checked, at least)
Due to the complexity of our environment, and the fact that it's a customer-facing service to rate-payers who tend to be rather vocal if their service is disrupted, I have strongly recommended having a Test environment commissioned to assist with the upgrade, among other things.
So... I have a couple of questions for you, the Community, around the whole process:
- Would we be better off doing an in-place upgrade (tested first on our shiny new Test environment), an install-upgrade (replicate our current Prod environment in Test, then perform the upgrade on it), or a build and migrate (build the new servers with the new version, and migrate the production environment to the new servers, turning the old Prod servers into the new Test environment once the migration is done)?
- Is there anything we should be aware of that is either not available in the newer version which is in ours, or different enough that we would need to strongly consider using it or not? I've seen mention of login fields no longer being able to auto-fill, for example - not that we do that, but it's functionality that changed from one version to another which was relied on by a site.
- Is there something else I should be considering which I doesn't appear to have done? As unbelievable as it may seem, I have occasionally missed/not thought of things when trying to plan stuff like this, and it's come round to take a chunk out from behind. A little assistance with protecting my derriere would be appreciated