4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2015 1:05 PM by Rachel Deaton

Setting up direct printing

Sarah Benkendorf Wayfarer

We're trying to set up 2 printers for direct printing on our campus.  When we set it up with the default settings, we find that the jobs spool for awhile and then disappear, never to reach the printer.  We've discovered that by turning off print pooling and setting the port to the printer's hostname, we're able to print without an issue.  Every time we run change control, however, these settings revert back, back to enabled printer pooling and the secure release ports.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Is there a way to permanently apply these changes?  We just need these two printers set up, so we can print directly from the computers to the printers.  And it's certainly not an efficient use of our time to have to reapply these settings manually every time we run change control.

• Re: Setting up direct printing
          brad Pioneer

Hi Sarah, I suspect I may not be too much help to you, due to the differences in our versions - we're still on 8.2.6. However, you'd not had any response yet, so figured I'd post here with how ours is set up, on the off chance it gives you an idea of something that might be different in yours...

We have a number of printers spread across all of our libraries, all of which are configured for release printing from our public access PCs. However, our library staff want to be able to print invoices for the patrons, and our Pharos machines are on a separate network to our staff PCs - and printers. Therefore they need to print to the public PCs - so I have set up a separate "Admin" queue for each of the printers as a Direct, rather than Held, queue. We also have an "Admin - Free" job cost method set up, so that there is no charging involved, and the print job just comes straight out of the printer as if you'd done a direct IP-based print to it.

As for your print jobs disappearing - I did notice in our system when I went looking for info on this for you, that one of our Queues, in the "Overview" section, had an alert showing on it - when I hovered over it, the message said "The Windows Printer for this Queue is not in a paused state. Print jobs submitted to this Queue will be lost" - so that could possibly be an explanation as for how/why your jobs are disappearing?

I have nothing for you on the reverting of the settings on Change Control, other than to suggest that instead of changing the settings, you consider re-creating it with the settings you want? Otherwise, I'd be logging a call with Pharos about that side of things - it may be pointing to some possible database-side issues with triggers, possibly?

Cheers,

Brad.

Rachel Deaton Navigator

Thanks Sarah and Brad!

Sarah, did you or anyone on your team attempt to reach out to Pharos Support on this? It believe this is something that they will be able to help with. You can reach them at support@pharos.com or 877-848-0397.

Let me know if there is any other way that I can help.

Thanks!

Rachel

Sarah Benkendorf Wayfarer

Hi --

Thanks for your responses!  I did end up reaching out to Support who suggested that I do something similar to what you suggested, @Brad.  Setting up a separate print group and queue for the printers I wanted to set up for direct printing.  When I did that, however, not only was I unable to print to the direct printing printers but no one was able to print to any of the printers in our environment. 

I'm not sure why this happened, but if I had to guess, I'd say that setting up the direct printing queue and print group in the way I did caused all of the ports used by the Secure Release printers to switch from Secure Release ports to Direct Printing ports.  I ended up having to reverse the changes I made and restart the server so users would be able to print again.  I'm hesitant to try doing that again based on the catastrophic results my first attempt caused.

At the advice of the Pharos support tech I spoke to, I'm going to take these two printers out of Pharos/Uniprint completely and set them up as shared printers in Windows.  We don't need to track their usage in any way, so this solution works for us.

Rachel Deaton Navigator

Thanks for the follow up info, Sarah. I am so sorry that you had catastrophic results at first! I know that this is never fun and I appreciate your patience. It sounds like you have come up with a workaround and I am glad to hear that. Let me know if there is anything else that I can be of assistance with.

Have a great day!

Rachel