6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2016 4:36 PM by Michael Corry

PharosStationInstaller.exe V9 silent installation not working.

Thomas Farrell Wayfarer

I’m attempting to write a script to perform a silent installation for PharosStationInstaller.exe (9.0.8467.27) over the current version of Pharos Station version 8.1.5293.63.  We are using the following DOS batch file command: (  PharosStationInstaller.exe /s /d"PharosDataBaseServer"  ).  When you run this command to silently install and upgrade Pharos Station to version 9 you get a popup that says “Install – This system must be restarted to complete the installation. “ Is there any other switches or process that make this truly silent without a reboot?   Our computers run Windows 7 Professional 32 bit

• Re: PharosStationInstaller.exe V9 silent installation not working.
          John Siegel Guide

Hi Thomas,

A Pharos Service just needs to be restarted, that's the reason for the reboot. I'm not sure which service; we used to run PC Pharos ,but have since switched to Omega's. Note: if you stop, start, or restart a service, any dependent services are also affected.

Regards,

John

Thomas Farrell Wayfarer

John,

I understand the Pharos Service need to be restarted which will eventually be done when the computer is rebooted which we control.  Using the following silent installation switches (  PharosStationInstaller.exe /s /d"PharosDatabaseServer"  ) is suppose to be silent which the popup interrupts the silent installation script.  Do you know how to script a silent install with a DOS batch, vbs, or powershell file to so a perform a silent installation and account for the popup that stops the script from finishing?

Thanks, Tom

John Siegel Guide

You could try to break out the msi in PharosStationInstaller.exe and edit it, but without the certificate you probably can't rewrap it.

You could try running the installer using system account permissions. Theoretically using the system account should allow it to install, ignore the popup, and restart the service, but you'll want to test it thoroughly before trying it in production.

Regards,

John

J Szabo Newbie

In my experience, it's not possible to install pstation silently.  And I am using Altirs client service as the System user.  I could ignore the dialog boxes, but how would I know when the install is done?  You have to use an autoit script to either mouseclick "cancel" on the "This system must be restarted" dialog, or click "OK" on the "ID Card Keyboard System Setup" dialog.  Also the registry entries for the database and license servers have to be put in with a script.

I believe if you delete or rename the old pharos folder before installing, you can avoid the restart dialog.  But I don't normally do it.  Also there's a pair of registry entries to avoid the "ID Card" dialog (under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Pharos\Station\Pharos - ID Card Keyboard").

Michael Corry Newbie

Did anyone ever find a way to do this? We have a ridiculous amount of release stations, and they are very spread out. We are upgrading to v9 and very much need to be able to do this via powershell remoting or psexec.

PharosStationInstaller.exe /s /d"pharosDB"

Doesn't seem to work.