9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2015 2:05 PM by Gerald Rezes

iMFPs and direct print

Gerald Rezes Tracker

I am not sure who to ask this of Pharos or Konica-Minolta.   We have Konica-Minolta copiers configure with Off-The-Glass to be control copying and printing via Pharos.  We these copiers were just printers controlled by a separate release station, we could configure staff computers to print directly to the copier.  Now when we do this, the print jobs get sent and disappear into the ether.   They never make it to the copier to be printed.  Do I have to configure something on the iMFP or Pharos to allow direct printing?  Can I restrict direct printing to a known group?

Thanks

• Re: iMFPs and direct print
          Timothy Grzeczka Pioneer

Are the direct queues still pointed to the same devices? Did you do anything on the devices' settings to restrict print job submission by IP address?

Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Gerald,

There is a setting in the KM Driver that is used to restrict jobs when a user is not authenticated.

Can you try this.  On the client workstation open the printer properties dialog window and navigate to the Configure TAB > Device Option > locate User Authentication and set this to off. Then OK your way out of the properties dialog and try to print again.

Thanks,

Jeff Geller

Pharos Support

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Gerald Rezes Tracker

No sure what the issue might be but I do not think it has to do with Pharos or KM.  I just wanted to make sure that it was still possible and that the iMFP did not prevent direct printing. 

On another machine, I was able to print directly to the copier using KM drivers and a direct TCP/IP port.  I am not using Pharos's direct queue settings.  So the original computer has an issue printing to the copier.  I changed the copier's ACL and the computer is permitted. 

Mark Decker Scout

One other thing to check. Once the Pharos for KM iMFP software has been pushed to the device, ANY client printing to the device with a PCL driver will need to set the EMF Spool setting as described in the documentation for the KM iMFP. Even if it is not printing through Pharos.

Gerald Rezes Tracker

Mark,  Can you point me to the KM iMFP documentation?  The Konica-Minolta techs installed the software and didn't share any documentation. 

Scott Olswold Guide

Gerald,

All of our product documentation can be found at Available Documentation.

Also, to be clear: The "EMF Spool" option in the Konica-Minolta drivers' Properties page does NOT need to be enabled for Uniprint Suite 8.3 or better (or, for you corporate folks: Blueprint Enterprise 4.2 and better) unless your workstation is Windows XP (or worse).

The setting works much like the "Enable advanced printing features" (Windows XP) or "Render on client" (Windows Vista and newer) setting, causing either spooling of EMF (Enhanced Metafile; advanced printing enabled/client render disabled) or RAW (PCL, PostScript, etc.). In Uniprint 8.2 and lower, this setting needed to be checked because spooling RAW twice (once to the shared queue, once to the device queue) mangled the security function to the device. Since Uniprint 8.3 and Blueprint (any version really) only spool once to the server, it isn't mangled at all. A downside to spooling EMF via the Konica-Minolta driver setting is that it has a high potential of wreaking havoc with font/character mapping. The result of this havoc is that you can m ss lette s in y ur doc ment, mak ng r adab l ty suffer (and, in the case of Uniprint: refunds occur; in either software product, it causes waste, which is not very environmentally-friendly).

Peace,

Scott

Scott Olswold Guide

All,

It is good form to mention, too, that it is possible to support a "mixed mode" function on the Konica-Minolta MFDs. By default, a BizHub driver will be configured for automatic configuration. In a non-managed print environment, this makes sense, because installed printer drivers create queues that have a 1:1 relationship with a device. However, managed print systems require changes to those systems. Once Pharos iMFP for Konica-Minolta has been pushed to a device, you have to do the following to the installed queues:

1. Go to the driver's Properties page and select the Configuration tab.
                            2. In the "Device Option" panel, you'll see that "User Authentication" is set to "ON (Enhanced Server)" because the automatic configuration detected the "PharosAuth" application on the device.

3. Click the "Obtain Settings..." button.
                            4. Clear the checkbox for the "Auto" option. Click "OK" to set the change.

5. Back in the "Device Option" frame, select "User Authentication" and change it's setting to "Disable". Click the "Apply" button to set the change and then "OK" to dismiss the Properties page.

All users connected to the queue(s) via RPC (remote procedure call; how out-of-the-box printer sharing works) will update automatically. This applies to Blueprint Secure Release Here queues as well. If you make this change to a queue used in a Uniprint package, you would need to rebuild the package and either rely on the Updater module to update your clients, or remove the previous queues and install the new package.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                        Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Gerald,

Were you successful in getting the users to print directly to the copier?

You mentioned print directly but was this using a Uniprint print queue or local print queue on the clients direct to the device?

Thanks,

Jeff Geller