3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2015 11:54 AM by John Siegel

What do you see as the cutting edge of technology for your users??

Mark Robertson Ranger

We had a visit from the Director of ARL today at our library.   Many of the questions from the staff and faculty were various forms of the same question ...

"What have you seen at other libraries that would be good for us to do?" 

My question was..."what technologies and services are you seeing that I should consider providing for our students?"

So I thought it would be a good question to ask here.....

In our Libraries, I have MFDs, a plotter, self-service faxing, flatbed scanning and video information boards. 

My question to the community is:  What do you see coming along that would provide an added value to our customers?  New technology that will be a benefit to our students?  What to you offer your students/customers that we all should be providing!

I am looking forward to the users conference to get a pulse of what others are doing but I thought I would get a jump of the subject. 

So what are your thoughts?  Where is the cutting edge of the "new technology" wave?

thanks for your input and feedback!

Mark

• Re: What do you see as the cutting edge of technology for your users??
          John Siegel Guide

Hi Mark,

For us it's all about mobility. Mobileprint is one of the more popular services. Although it's not good for everything, for example CAD drawings or items that require specific drivers\print commands, it works well in most scenarios. As labs have been phased out, students don't always have access to a workstation, so BYOD printing has become more common.

The use of MFD's has considerably reduced the number of flat bed scanners. 30 percent of our managed fleet are mutifunction devices.

To facilitate redundancy, we have common ques and hold the jobs for 24 hours. There is a single queue per model, so once a job is sent, the customer can print it anywhere on campus that has the matching model device. We have a website with a map of printer locations that allows users to identify where to go and which model to use. Check out the link.

Student Printing and Scanning - Printer & Scanner Locations | Office of Information Technology

Regards,

John

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              Mark Robertson Ranger

Thanks John.  This is exactly the type of exchange I am looking for here!

If I have an understanding of what others are using and doing, I may find something that will help my help my patrons.

I, too, think that mobile print is the next phase of the patron experience.  We have had the email mobile printing solution but the students are looking for a smoother process.

I added a flatbed, ScannX device at the start of this school year because the MFD process was a little messy.  The students have fallen in love with this scanner.  It is fast and gives a number of options for delivery destinations.  We also use this machine as our public fax, which is a big hit with our staff!  They don't have to fax items for our patrons now. 

My queues hold items for 3 days to allow our students to send a job on Friday and be able to pick it up on the way to class Monday morning.

Thanks for the link!  I will check it out!

John Siegel Guide

Hi Mark,

The problem the librarians ran into with scanners at our location was the printing after the fact. Items were easy to scan in, but navigating through the printing process on the workstation once the image was scanned ended up being more challenging for our patrons\students than using the MFD's, since the MFD"s are stand alone devices designed to print. We also support scan-to-email from the MFD's, which was not an option on the flat beds. The fact that you can scan and print at the MFD without using\waiting to use a workstation helps streamline the process.

Regards,

John