2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2015 6:16 PM by Gerald Rezes

Userload Import Enhancement

Gerald Rezes Tracker

I've been using userload to import students from our badge department. The import works, but it acts as an all-or-nothing overwrite.  I receive a file from my badge department of current students.  I also have a group of generic vending cards in my Pharos DB.  The badge department doesn't know anything about the vending cards so if I try to import the badge import file they give me, it overwrites and removes badges from Pharos DB that are not in the import like the vending cards.  What I suggest is that the import file could be limited to a particular User Group so that my vending accounts or any accounts outside the desired import group are not deleted.   For example, if my students are all members of the group "public," I would like to specify that my import file only affect the "public" group and not anything other accounts in other groups. 

Thanks.

• Re: Userload Import Enhancement
          Mark Decker Scout

I am not sure that I understand your question, but if I do there might be an easy way to deal with this. If your batch process is removing users from the Pharos db that are not in the import file, you are running a synchronize as your batch process. If you just do an insert or update, it will only insert new users, or update existing users and not do anything to accounts that are in the db but not in the import file. Does this address your concern or did I miss something?

• Re: Userload Import Enhancement
              Gerald Rezes Tracker

Mark,  That is what I am doing currently but I can see that I will soon have a lot of stall records in the Pharos database.  Ideally the card office should be up-to-date on expired cards and my feed should take care of these issue.  However, I also have a group of generic vending cards that are separate from the card office.  They have no knowledge of these cards.  If I automatically sync the generated list of real cards, my vending cards are removed.  Also,  my accounts with administrator access are also removed.

I would suggest that the sync feature be allowed to be limited to a defined group within the Pharos database.  My Pharos group is called public so the userload process would be limited to syncing cards that are in the public group.  My vending cards which are in the Pharos group vending would be left untouched.  My administrator accounts would also be untouched.  That is my enhancement request.