4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2014 4:03 PM by Steven English

Configuring SignUp to Work with Clean Slate

Roberts Laforge Wayfarer

The library where I work is testing out Fortres Clean Slate 7 and have run into an issue.  There is some documentation available in relation to Deep Freeze, but none specifically mentioning Clean Slate.   What's happening is Signup is not keeping track of time logged in and who is logged in correctly.  For example I will log in as User A, log out, then log in as administrator and restart.  When the computer boots up, SignUp says it is reserved for User A even though I'd logged out already.  And while I am logged in as administrator, the clock will keep ticking.  So I'll log in as User A for 1 minute, log out, then log in as administrator for 5 minutes, log out, and log back in as User A and find 6 minutes have been counted against time.  Upon restart 4 or 5 of them will be added back onto my time allotment

We are currently running Uniprint 8.4 with SignUp Vx3.  The computer runs Windows 7 64-bit and is a Dell Optiplex 780. We used to have SteadyState and used a separate partition for SignUp.  Clean Slate allows one to set exceptions for programs and make certain directories writeable.  I've done that for C:\Program Files(x86)\Pharos and C:\Program Files(x86)\PharosSystems, but that hasn't helped.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Re: Configuring SignUp to Work with Clean Slate
          Steven English Guide

Michael,

By default, SignUp will store its files in the (install path)\Pharos\Bin directory.  If CleanSlate is not also excluding the subdirectories then that may be your problem right there (exclude C:\Program Files (x86)\Pharos\Bin).  I have encountered situations with various security software solutions that do not exactly function as described.  Please see the following recommendation for verifying that the system is configured as expected.

1. Check the registry to see where Pharos has been configured to store the SUClientXxxxxxxxxx.bin files.  This can be done by looking in the following path on a 64-bit system HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Pharos\SignUp Client\ConfigFileDir.
          2. Ensure that the path entered in the reg key above is excluded from protection in your security software.
          3. While the machine is protected/frozen/secured, create a file in that directory, save it, and then reboot.
          4. Check to see if the file you created is still there.

If the file is MIA, then your security software is likely not behaving as advertised, and is likely not keeping the SUClientXxxxxxxx.bin files either.  You might consider creating a thaw space/persistent storage drive and then reconfiguring the reg key to point to that drive letter instead(most of the security solutions have support for enabling this feature as a virtual drive - at least on the Windows machines).  The SYSTEM account is the one that will need to have permissions to that path, it can be hidden and/or restricted to others so that it is not abused.

Let me know if everything above checks out as correct and you are still having issues.

Regards,

Steven

Steven English Guide

Here is a reeeeally old tech note on configuring things.  Even though you are on Vx3, the section on Vx2 is still valid and will cover the specifics of manual configuration that I referenced previously.  The examples noted there are for a 32-bit system, so please adjust paths accordingly (adding \Wow6432Node in the registry and (x86) to the program files directory).

Regards,

Steven

Roberts Laforge Wayfarer

Turns out I was overriding the exemptions.   In the wizard for setting exemptions there are two tabs, one for all security groups and one for specific ones.  I set the exclusions under the all groups tab and then told Clean Slate to override the baseline security which caused the program to default to the second tab where there were no exemptions.  You might have to be looking at the program for that to make sense.  I included the direct path to the \Bin (as well as he \temp) folders under the Pharos Directory just in case, but it seems to be working now.  Thank you for your help.

Steven English Guide

Glad to hear it.  The easiest test is to log in as a patron, then restart the machine or simulate a power loss by unplugging it.  Log off works differently, so it has to be either power loss (the power button may work as well) or a restart command.  If the system boots back up and announces that it is reserved for you, it appears that all is behaving normally.

Regards,

Steven