6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2014 3:53 AM by Ian Belton

informed print - targeting

Ian Belton Scout

We are running uniprint 8.4.

People are discussing using informed print here where I work, and their thoughts are to actually aim questions/statements at certain target audiences.  From what I have read, I'm not actually sure that can be achieved.  Is that right?

If you can spare any other thoughts on informed print that would be great.

Thanks

IanB

• Re: informed print - targeting
          Steven English Guide

Ian,

This can be accomplished through scripts and would usually be aimed at specific queues, though it could be targeted in a much more specific way if desired.  If you describe your needs a bit more, I could try to give advice that is more tailored to your scenario.

Regards,

Steven

Ian Belton Scout

Hi Steven.

Thanks for your reply.

Our setup is fairly simple - we have 2 queues (colour and mono) and everyone on campus prints to those.  We have lots 500+ MFP/MFD type devices which can service both queues - which are released by the user after they authenticate whilst stood in front of the device.

Thoughts were to target all our research students on campus.

Its how we identify the research students users in the database that I think will be the stumbling block....

Suggestions gladly received!

Thanks

IanB

Steven English Guide

Ian,

So the informed print (as opposed to cost confirmation) is really just going to notify them of the expected cost of the job.  It can easily be customized in a script, but as you said, the key part would be identifying the research students programmatically.  If they can be imported into a specific user group that would make it easy, though I am curious as to why informed print campus wide would be undesirable as it provides positive feedback to the user experience and assures them that the job has made it to the server.

The informed print option can be enabled via checkbox in the Uniprint Global Settings.  From a functionality perspective there is no need for concern because the job still processes even if the delivery of the notification fails due to firewalls, VPN, or anything else that blocks its (zealous antivirus, anyone?).  The same cannot be said of cost confirmation, but my understanding is that you are simply talking about informed print.

Regards,

Steven

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      Ian Belton Scout

The users we have imported into our database are all in groups, staff, rpg and tpg.

I've read a bit more in the manual.  'Cost acceptance' is just part of the 'Informed print' options from what I have read.  Informed print tells you the pages in your print job and their cost (that text can be customised).  Cost acceptance can then also be turned on and then the user informed and can choose to accept or decline the cost of the print job before it is sent to the print server.  Again, that text can be customised.  Those settings there are all global.

Uniprint does look at have scripting capabilities, which is perhaps what is being discussed/explored.  Would the scripting allow something along the lines of: If the user is in group rpg, then use 'informed print'?

Regards

IanB

Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Ian,

The answer is yes.

Uniprint has a scripting engine that allows for customization to the "Nofity" function.  Notify being the component of the Informed Print feature that provides feedback to users providing that the client machine has the Popup client installed on it.  The Popup client is required to have this feature.

The Event that we would use is called the "JobInformation" event on the Print Server.  The current free script on our CD (located on the CD in the folder ..\Uniprint 9.0.8467 GR\Uniprint 9.0.8467 GR\MainCD\tools\plugins\scripts\JobInformation - Notify Users of Job Cost.txt ) can be customized and seeing as the JobInformation Event has a value for UserGroup this would be fairly easy to do.

Something like the below section could be added to the script from the CD to help notify only if the user is in a specific group.  The below snippet could be further modified to suit your needs however if you need further assistance in having a script modified or adjusted outside of the provided snippet please contact your Account Manager who can arrange a Work Order as scripting is a billable item.

new sGroupToNotify = "your_group";

if (PlugIn.UserGroup <> sGroupToNofity)

{

IO.PrintLine("[DEBUG JobInformation] -> User " + PlugIn.UserName + " is Not in the group " + sGroupToNotify + " that uses Notify - exit script");

PlugIn.Result = true;

exit;

}

Cheers,

Jeff Geller

Pharos Support