23 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 5:42 PM by Bill Kasper

8.3.2 Popups/OSX Mavericks/Older Ricoh Devices (01 series MPC)

Bill Kasper Guide

Just to say, we're having lots of fun with the latest Apple/Ricoh print driver update (v.2.5).  We run Pharos Uniprint 8.2, and are using the 8.3.2 popup install process for Macs.

It seems to depend on the version of the OS when it's installed (automatically, for most people); it appears to overwrite the Filters folder in Library/Printers/Ricoh.  In the old Filters folder there's a file called jobLogFilterC that is required for the packages to work correctly.  If the new driver overwrites the Filters folder, that filter goes away, and the popups cease to function.  That means they don't even deploy, the printer application launched by the print process errors out and gives you a message saying you need to install software.

It's a drag, but at least it's repairable.  With a couple thousand deployments, though it will keep coming up again and again.  To that end, is there any way to use the pkg/custom folder, and the postinstall.sh file to automatically install a copy of jobLogFilterC at the time of the deploy?  Then it doesn't matter if it's there or not, it will be after the package is installed.  I'd hope one of the tech gurus at Pharos (John? Jeff?) can tell me there's a line of code I can add to the postinstall.sh to place the file in the specified location...

Best,

Bill

Bill Kasper

Program Manager

UCSC Copier Program

• Re: 8.3.2 Popups/OSX Mavericks/Older Ricoh Devices (01 series MPC)
          Jim Gilliver Pioneer

Hi Bill,

You can absolutely copy that filter binary into your Custom folder and put it in place via the script.  The command you want would just be:

/bin/cp jobLogFilterC /Library/Printers/Ricoh/path/to/jobLogFilterC

When the postinstall script runs, the current working directory is set to the Custom folder, so that would work if the filter was just copied straight into the Custom folder.  If you put it in a subfolder, add that folder to the first parameter (e.g. /bin/cp RicohFilter/jobLogFilterC ...).

I should mention that the filter is not a requirement of the package itself - it's most likely specified in the PPD copied into your package.  If the driver package has been updated and no longer includes that file, the provided PPDs have probably been changed too.  Updating the PPD in the package may resolve the issue, but if you are seeing different behaviour on different OS versions, then just putting the old filter back might work better for you.

Bill Kasper Guide

Thanks, Jim.  Rather than try to get the joblogFilterC into the correct folder automatically, I'm reworking our process with the new drivers.

To that end, the new drivers have names like "Ricoh MP C4503", with spaces and all.  Yet the call in the postinstall.sh seems to need it to read "Ricoh_MP_C4503".  Do I need to change the name of the driver installed by the Ricoh install process to have the underscores, or will the postinstall.sh script interpret them as the same filename?

Best,

Bill Kasper

Program Manager
            UCSC Copier Program

Jim Gilliver Pioneer

You can keep the spaces if you prefer, just enclose the whole name in quotes.

lpadmin -p new_printer -P "Ricoh MP C4503" -v ...

Bill Kasper Guide

Jim, that seems to work fine for the postinstall.sh, but not the installfiles.txt (the line being: /etc/cups/ppd/"Ricoh MP C4503").  I end up with no driver in my Resources file, and when I print it sits in the spool printer on my desktop after taking my login id.  Never gets off the desktop, never gets to the server (doesn't show in the Queued jobs).  Thoughts?

Thanks.

Bill

Jim Gilliver Pioneer

Hi Bill,

This sounds a bit odd.  Spaces should be ok in InstallFiles.txt, but you should not be copying the PPD to /etc/cups/ppd yourself.  The files in that location are created along with printers by CUPS, and so should be created by the lpadmin command.  Also, the names of files in that folder correspond to the raw device name, and can't contain spaces.  You can have spaces in the display name for a printer, but not the CUPS device name.  Can you paste the contents of your PostInstall script?

If you are only using InstallFiles.txt to copy PPDs to /etc, I would recommend just deleting it.  It was intended as an easy way for people to get files onto their clients, without needing to deal with something as complicated as a shell script.  Unfortunately, it turned out to be too limited for most cases, so the PostInstall script was added as an alternative way to achieve just about anything.  This is more complex than an ideal solution though, and something I hope to address soon.

Bill Kasper Guide

Hey, Jim.

Yeah, it's a bit of a "too much" process for us to really enjoy it

Here's the postinstall.sh:

lpadmin -p CP_MusicPharosDirect -v popup://128.114.128.1/s071_DQ_Ricoh -E -P "RICOH MP C4503"

lpadmin -p CP_Ricoh_Secure_Printing -v popup://128.114.128.2/Ricoh_Secure_Printing -E -P "RICOH MP C4503"

Here's the InstallFiles.txt, which we have been using to bring along the specific driver for the direct printer (and assuming it's the same driver for the secure printing, which is usually the case; we deal with cross-driver references in the print file on the rare occasions they occur):

/etc/cups/ppd/"Ricoh MP C4503"

I did finally get it to work.  As you surmised, the Ricoh drivers were updated, and seem no longer to need the joblogFilterC (I HOPE!).  So I used the Ricoh_PS_Printers_Vol2_EXP_LIO_2.2.0.0.dmg (for 01 and 02 Ricoh MPCs) and Ricoh_PS_Printers_Vol3_EXP_LIO_2.2.0.0.dmg (for Ricoh 03 MPCs) to install the latest drivers into the HD/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources folder, then ran the RicohPrinterDriversv2.5 (even if their SW Update had run it).  Then I installed the driver package with the above files (AND, belt and suspenders, the RICOH MP C4503 ppd in the Custom folder); it works, now.

Seems like one heck of a lot of work and enough potential variance to cause endless problems.  Any streamlining you can suggest would be most welcome.  Thank you for your help on this!

Bill

Jim Gilliver Pioneer

Hi Bill,

Usually a DMG file contains an install package to run.  If you copy this .pkg file to your Custom folder, you can usually install the drivers silently.  For example:

/usr/sbin/installer -target / -pkg Ricoh_PS_Printers_Vol2_EXP_LIO_Driver.pkg

It's unclear from your description whether you've already done this, or require the user to do it.  If it's the latter then you might be happier doing this in the script instead

Also, if you don't like the underscores appearing in the printer name, you can add a -D parameter to the lpadmin command to set the user-facing name, e.g. -D "Ricoh Secure Printing"

Bill Kasper Guide

Jim, we overlapped.  I'll try this in the morning, putting the .pkgs from the Vol2, Vol3, and 2.5 update into the Custom folder.  And see if it works

Bill

Bill Kasper Guide

Jim, regarding silent installation of the latest drivers, we've wanted that for years.  I never understood it could be done once the postinstall.sh was deployed.

Here's what's in my postinstall.sh, and it works:

lpadmin -x CP_MusicPharosDirect

lpadmin -x CP_Ricoh_Secure_Printing

lpadmin -p CP_MusicPharosDirect -v popup://128.114.128.1/s071_DQ_Ricoh -E -P "RICOH MP C4503" -o printer-is-shared=false

lpadmin -p CP_Ricoh_Secure_Printing -v popup://128.114.128.2/Ricoh_Secure_Printing -E -P "RICOH MP C4503" -o printer-is-shared=false

/usr/sbin/installer -target / -pkg Ricoh_PS_Printers_Vol2_EXP_LIO_Driver.pkg

/usr/sbin/installer -target / -pkg Ricoh_PS_Printers_Vol3_EXP_LIO_Driver.pkg

/usr/sbin/installer -target / -pkg RicohPrinterDriversv2.5.pkg

All the drivers from the two volumes of PS printers load properly, and I assume whatever the Ricohv2.5 does also applies.  The printers both work, and it's a single admin password to get it all done.  I've been looking to do this for three years; I think I stopped asking prior to the custom folder being developed.

THANK YOU.

Now, if I can just figure out (hint, ) how to make the lpadmin set up the printer so it has the correct options automatically, I'll be golden.

Bill

Scott Olswold Guide

Bill,

You can preconfigure the printers. I've attached a little "how to" by using a sample install and configuration. You will still need to install your core driver set to include all of the various plug-ins and other doodads that make MacOS printer installations a lot like their Windows brethren these days (sigh), but you'll also do this:

1. Pop that "TheCoolNameOfYourCustomPPD.ppd" file in your Custom folder.

2. When defining the lpadmin command line, use:

lpadmin -p CP_MusicPharosDirect -v popup://128.114.128.1/s071_DQ_Ricoh -E -P "TheCoolNameOfYourCustomPPD.ppd" -o printer-is-shared=false

I hope that this helps!

-Scott

Jim Gilliver Pioneer

That sounds suspiciously like advice to use InstallFiles.txt again, which I would still recommend against - especially copying stuff to /etc/cups.  What you should do is follow the instructions in the attachment to configure the printer the way you want, then copy the files for the configured queues from /etc/cups/ppd (on the configured machine) into the Custom folder, and use those as the source PPD argument.

For example, if you set up the printer CP_MusicPharosDirect, there will be a file called /etc/cups/ppd/CP_MusicPharosDirect.  Copy that into your Custom folder, and use -P CP_MusicPharosDirect with lpadmin.

Bill Kasper Guide

Scott, thanks.  I'm going to go with Jim on this one.  What I'd *really* like is a way to set the things we want to set in the RICOH MP C4503 (or whatever), so I can customize the latest Ricoh drivers consistently, and apply those few custom drivers to our printers without doing anything fancier than that.  For now we'll just keep doing it by hand.

Thanks to you both, and especially to Jim, we're finally doing what I have wanted to do for so long with the single installer for all processes.

Best,

Bill

Jim Gilliver Pioneer

Hi Bill,

Glad to hear you're happy with the results so far

I am just wondering about the part you're doing manually - I don't think that's necessary if you follow our combined advice above.

As I mentioned, the PPD is copied to /etc/cups/ppd when the printer is created, and this file contains device settings as well as other information.  When you make changes to the printer (settings or printing defaults), they are often saved to this file as well.  So if you set up a printer manually once, and then copy the modified PPD into your package and use that in place of the original one, the newly installed printer should have most or all of the options already configured for you.

In some cases, there may be options that are not saved in the PPD file, but this is rare.  Those cases can often be covered by additional commands in your script (e.g. using lpoptions).  I would definitely recommend giving this a try over configuring things manually.  If you do run into something that is not handled properly, please post the details here and I will check it out.

Scott Olswold Guide

I edited my previous response to remove the install.txt stuff and make it simpler. Bill may not be using, but somebody else will tread through here and I want to make sure we're leading them in the right way.

Bill Kasper Guide

Jim,

I just tried to install a basic secure printer using just the postinstall.sh above, line 2, and changing to the RICOH Aficio MP C2051 (as it's named) rather than the RICOH MP C4503 (ours is a 2051 in the office).  No InstallFiles.txt, no driver in the Custom folder.  As part of this experimental process I'd already installed the Vol2, Vol3, and 2.5 dmg's named above.

It ran, told me it'd been installed completely...but did not create the CP_Ricoh_Secure_Printing printer in my Printers & Scanners system preference window (I am running OSX 10.9.5).

I then added back the InstallFiles.txt, reading as this:

/etc/cups/ppd/"RICOH Aficio MP C2051"

and it did the same thing:  ran, "installed completely", no printer created.

I then added back the "RICOH Aficio MP C2051" driver to the Custom folder, and ran the installer.  No printer.

I then reset the printer system, ran the last one again, and it worked.  Printer created, print job sent through the spooler to the hold queue (visible in the Queued Jobs pane in Pharos Admin).  I am sure I could have released it, but didn't try.

So it does seem to need the InstallFiles.txt, and the driver, both in the Custom folder with the postinstall.sh script to generate the printer in the Printers & Scanners system preference pane.  That's fine, if I can get it to replicate so we can establish a process.  It's just a lot of damn steps to get a viable printer on a Mavericks Mac.

I'm gonna go watch the World Series, eat chili, and drink beer.

Bill

Jim Gilliver Pioneer
                                                  I then added back the "RICOH Aficio MP C2051" driver to the Custom folder, and ran the installer.

This comment makes me wonder - did you not have this file in the Custom folder before?  If not, then the lpadmin command would not work, because it would not be able to find the PPD.

I feel like I should clarify a bit - this file is a PPD, which is just a text file describing the printer, available options, and any additional filters needed to process the job.  It's not a 'driver' as such, it's more like a configuration file.  For some printers, this file can be all you need because they only require what's on a standard system.  For others, you need custom filters to massage the job into the format the printer expects (like jobLogFilterC).

lpadmin creates the printer object, which creates a copy of the supplied PPD as /etc/cups/ppd/<printername>.  If you specify a PPD file that doesn't exist, lpadmin will fail, but there are also ways to run the command and create a bogus printer that doesn't work (like leaving off the -P flag completely).  This printer might be known to CUPS (i.e. it appears in /etc/cups/printers.conf), but not show in the Printers & Scanners preferences.  I suspect you may have accidentally put your machine in a state like this, and resetting the print system cleared out the bogus configuration.  Using InstallFiles the way you describe is definitely not necessary, though also not harmful... I think you are just creating an unused file, because the name doesn't match the printer's name.

It is also possible to make sure a printer with a given name does not exist before attempting to create it:

lpadmin -x CP_MusicPharosDirect

This name should be the system name (no spaces) used with -p in the create command.  You could do this before your other lpadmin commands to ensure there is no existing printer of that name.

If you are still having trouble tomorrow, the support team have a good bit of experience setting up custom packages - I'm sure they will be happy to help.  I am happy to help here too, of course, but they will be available in your timezone