14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2014 6:13 AM by andrew

Uniprint 9.0 + Win7/Win8 + Remote = :-(

andrew Tracker

Unpirint 9.0 +WinXP + Remote = :-D

I would love to know if anyone has found a method, preferably easily implemented, to allow Pharos Remote to work on Win7/8 like it did in WinXP, which is to say, as a member of the ordinary local "Users" group, seamless launch and request for Pharos ID to log on and do "Pharosy things".

So far, the ONLY solution I have found is bump my users up to members of the local Administrators group so they can OK the UAC prompts.

Disable UAC, you say? Done that. As per http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7

Works great if you are an admin: no prompt, seamless launch, prompt for Pharos ID/Logon to do "Pharosy things".

If you NOT an admin, though, UAC still prompts for an admin to allow the program to run.

I also tried configuring Remote, with UAC "disabled", on Win 2012 RemoteApp server. Still prompts for UAC, and then crashes, though it works peachy if launched locally (as an admin).

Also, I fear, moving to Win7/8 for the Pharos Station and/or Reports may cause me similar difficulties. Am I the only person experiencing the prompt for UAC even if it's "turned off"?

I feel like I must be missing the giant "on/off switch". Does everyone in the entirety of the universe except me allow all their users local administrator access? Surely that is not THE answer to this...

Thank you for your time.

• Re: Uniprint 9.0 + Win7/Win8 + Remote = :-(
          Kiseob(Mike) Son Scout

For Pharos Stations, we are using on Windows 8.1 Embedded with regular user account, but no issues yet so far.

For Pharos Remote, we are using on Windows 7 with UAC disabled by GPO.

Regular User without elevate the UAC works fine. (We didn't have to add users into local admin group)

But we only tried with Pharos 8.1

Pharos 9.0 Testing is coming soon in our evironment.

We never tried Pharos Report, so I can't say anything about it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Jim Gilliver Pioneer

Hi Andrew,

After looking into this a little, it appears someone* has gotten the manifest on the launcher tool wrong.  We should be able to correct this and send you an updated launcher that will correct the problem in the next few days.

I can give you the instructions to run Remote or Administrator manually as a regular user if it turns out it will take longer.

Regards,

Jim

* OK, fine, the culprit was me.  Sorry about that.

Scott Olswold Guide

Jim,

The "how to" would be nice :-)

-Scott

Jim Gilliver Pioneer

I wanted to avoid too many people jumping into too much work (e.g. updating several remote installs with a workaround) if we were going to release a fix soon.  But since you asked so nicely... the key is just to run MMC with the right environment variable set:

set COMPLUS_Version=v4.0.30319

mmc RemoteConsole.msc

You can create a shortcut to a batch file that runs these two commands.  This is what AdminLauncher.exe does, except it doesn't display an ugly cmd window like a batch file will.  The only trouble is that AdminLauncher was set to require administrator rights on the mistaken assumption that this was what mmc.exe needed.  Note that with the batch file or the forthcoming fix, administrative accounts will still receive a UAC prompt, but regular users will not.

I would also caution against setting this variable in the global environment, as it might cause other apps to use the wrong .Net version and break.

andrew Tracker

Awesome!  So there IS a giant on/off switch I am not seeing!

Thank you for the insight.  Thank you for the workaround. Thank you for the ownership; all is forgiven. 

I am planning to wait patiently for the release...

So, how's that coming along?   :-D

Once again, thank you Jim, Scott, and Pharos Community forums!

John Siegel Guide

Hi Andrew,

We don't use Pharos for funding, that's done externally via CBORD. The University controls the money, which is a good thing

In order to process a refund CU policy requires that the original transaction be verified. That's why they need access to Pharos Admin.

Regards,

John

• Re: Re: Uniprint 9.0 + Win7/Win8 + Remote = :-(
                        Steven English Guide

John,

I think what Andrew is getting at is this: What is being used in the Pharos Administrator that is not accessible in the Pharos Remote?  Although stripped down permissions and/or custom access roles could come into play, transactions and user account info should be accessible via Pharos Remote.  Not that my trust could not be earned, but I would be scared to death to turn the Pharos Admin over to a group of not-techies that large.

Regards,

Steven

John Siegel Guide

Hi Steven,

It's been the same accountant for the last twelve years, so no worries on access. We have never used Pharos Remote, although I'm not sure why.

~John