9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2014 11:53 AM by Rachel Deaton

Can a Chromebook be configured for UniPrint?

Peter DiDomenico Wayfarer

Chromebooks are starting to show up on my campus as a part of the BYOD.  My IT Client Services Department is evaluating the machines in order to determine the level of support that can be afford to them.  I know very little about them, but I do understand that they have limitations when compared to a standard laptop.

Would someone please confirm for me that there is no way that a Chromebook can be configured to print into the Pharos Uniprint system?  If I understand right, the Chromebook cannot map to local network printers and all printing is limited to cloud-based print resources.  If I am offbase, any technical comments would be greatly appreciated.

Peter DiDomenico

Quinnipiac University

• Re: Can a Chromebook be configured for UniPrint?
          Scott Olswold Guide

Peter,

The way Google Cloud Print (GCP) services work, it makes it hard to integrate with Uniprint. The Google Chrome browser, installed on a server, allows you to share out printers to GCP, but you have to create a Google Group and add users (Google users) to this group, and then share it out. But if you want accurate cost recovery/allocation, this model breaks Uniprint, and since we don't have a Chrome-compatible Popup, there's no way to modify user attribute information.

Regards,

Scott Olswold

Pharos Systems Technical Support

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Peter DiDomenico Wayfarer

Scott:

Thank you very much.  I will pass this information on to my Client Services group.

Peter DiDomenico

Manager of Infrastructure & Communications Services

Mailstop:  NH-IST

Quinnipiac University

275 Mount Carmel Avenue

Hamden, CT  06518-1908

Phone:  (203) 582-5380

Fax:  (203) 582-3451

Office Location:  North Haven Campus

John Siegel Guide

Thanks Scott,

Good to know, we anticipate seeing more of the Chromebooks as well!

Paul LaFollette Guide

Thanks Scott,

Like John, we anticipate seeing more and more Chromebooks, and have already seen quite a few, so much so our Student Help Desk has it well posted what services are not available for Chromebooks on our campus, thus trying to discourage the Students from using the Chromebooks (dirty rotten shame).

Willis Dair Tracker

I'm going to say yes and no for the Chromebook.  I just asked someone to borrow a Chromebook to mess around with.

Basically, a Chromebook is a Chrome web browser.  And for all intents and purposes, it is a portal into Google Drive.  Typically, you would want to print a Google Document or possibly an Office Document that you saved on your Google Drive.

If you are running only Uniprint, then no, you cannot install a popup client so you cannot print to Uniprint.

However, if you have MobilePrint supplementing Uniprint you do have limited printing with a Chromebook.  Most Office or Google Documents can be downloaded to the local computer (Chromebook) in a PDF format.  For a Google Drive document, if you can click and open it, click on the printer icon.  In the Google Cloud Print dialog, change the destination to "Save as PDF" and click on Save.  The Chrome browser also has a Print to PDF function built into the browser.  Depending on the web page, you may or may not be able to capture a web page to a PDF file.  You could then submit the resulting PDF file to Uniprint by email through MobilePrint.  If you have Uniprint 9.0, you can also upload the PDF file through the Print Center.  This is about the only support that we supply to the students with Chromebooks.

Willis Dair

Santa Clara University

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      Scott Olswold Guide

Willis,

You get the "use all your tools to get the job done" award! If I could, I'd give you a 5 on the points beyond the liking and marking as correct.

I'd completely "blindered" the MobilePrint option (which is odd, since this week I've been working on all the ways one can innocently break MobilePrint 2.0 and Print Center; haven't found an innocent way yet: you have to be completely negligent or willfully malicious), so you are completely correct: Anyone with MobilePrint 1.3.x and 2.0 can use the web portal to upload and specify documents to print.

Have a fantastic Friday!

Scott

Pharos Systems Technical Support

John Siegel Guide

Great idea! I also failed to consider Mobileprint, and I just finished updating to 2.0 

~John

Willis Dair Tracker

Guys,

I've been using Uniprint since 6.3 and my mindset has always been popup client and LPR to print. Up until June 2014, we have been using Uniprint 8.1. I've never used MobilePrint before.    I did beta testing on 9.0 and was introduced to MobilePrint and Print Center.  MobilePrint and Print Center have really opened up huge possibilities for printing.  I am really excited to introduce the new Uniprint to the students when they come back to campus Fall quarter.  It'll blow their minds.  I've had to change my printing paradigm. Gotta think outside the box!! Thanks, Pharos.

Willis Dair

Santa Clara University