33 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 5:18 PM by Jeff Geller

Using multiple email accounts in Pharos Mobileprint 2.0

John Siegel Guide

Anyone allowing users to associate multiple email accounts with their user account? Any challenges, or restrictions, i.e., doesn't work and play well with GMail, Hotmail. etc.?

We use a passive registration process. Users swipe their cards at a Print Release Station (PRS) and the script queries the LDAP and populates the user account in the Pharos DB.Our challenge is that users can alter their default email account listed in the LDAP, meaning if it doesn't match what is in the Pharos DB when they registered, they get  a bounce back asking them to register. Allowing for multiple email account association with a single account user would help mitigate the problem.

Can the additional email accounts be added manually?

~John

• Re: Using multiple email accounts in Pharos Mobileprint 2.0
          Jean-Luc Grandchamp Adventurer

I'd like to know the same thing . . . .

jean luc

Rachel Deaton Navigator

Thanks for the note, John. I look forward to hearing from other customers on this as well.

255 characters is the limit. Not good . . .

They have to fix that. people have long e-mail addresses, the limit CANNOT BE 255 CHARACTERS !!!

jean luc

upenn

Katherine Baynton Ranger

Multiple email addresses can be added against a single Uniprint user account for MobilePrint 2.0 with Uniprint 9.0.  This can either be done manually through the Administrator UI (comma separated list), or automatically when a user submits an email from a new address.

This second process is slightly different from earlier versions, and is as follows: user submits from an unrecognized email address, they receive back a registration email which links them to the Print Center logon.  If they follow this link and log on, the new email address will be associated with the Uniprint account with which they logged on, and their submitted email job will then complete processing and be available for printing.

Willis Dair Tracker

We have not turned off email registration and people with personal email addresses can register their email addresses.  We populate our Pharos database with the batchloader.  Each student, faculty and staff who has a campus ID card gets a Pharos account in the database.   Every morning we get updated campus ID card information.  Each morning we run automated batchload jobs to insert first and then update.  Their default campus email address is put into their Pharos account in the initial insert batchload.  Their campus email address will never change.  However, if they want to use their personal email, they can send a print job from that email account to MobilePrint and they will get the registration email.  The majority of students have not come back on campus yet, but with the limited testing with multiple addresses, it seems to work well.

Our campus email is Google Apps for Education, so we use Gmail as our underlying email transport.  We have tested emails from gmail and yahoo, and they work very well.

Multiple addresses can be manually inserted or edited with Pharos Administrator.  In the Email field, separate the email addresses with a comma.  No spaces.  As mentioned, each person can have as many email addresses associated with their Pharos account as they want as long as it can fit into 255 characters.

Willis Dair

Santa Clara University

John Siegel Guide

Hi Willis,

The email response process creates a problem for those of us who do not use email registration. Our system captures the user data at the omega the first time they swipe their card. It then populates the Pharos admin account via a script that queries the LDAP. CU OIT security is vehemently opposed to any request via email that ask users to logon. They spend a great deal of time educating users not to respond to these types of email because of scams\phishing. The obvious work around would be some type of portal hosted on the CU OIT website, but that would require customization and spending money.

Another possibility would be to use dedicated omegas in the card office that would allow users to logon and update their email accounts.

Importing files would be a possible solution, but unfortunately there is no centralized server that could push out the data. Housing IT and OIT have separate server systems that don't work and play well with others. We have a user population of over 25,000, so manually updating is not practical.

Regards,

John

Willis Dair Tracker

Hmm... Yeah, I see your predicament.  If you are only allowed one email account to submit to MobilePrint and it is always the one in LDAP, you could scrape the email addresses from LDAP each day and batchload updates of the email addresses...

Each day, I'm actually running a check against the card office ID card numbers and student/employee ID numbers to make sure we have the right account name for the person.  I have found that the information that is sent to me is sometimes incorrect.  I run LDAP verifications for each student/employer ID before I do a batchload.  I'm taking about 3.5 ro 4 minutes to check 12,000 accounts in LDAP.  I had to spend about 2 weeks developing the program to do the LDAP call, do the verification or update and write a batchload compatible file.  I piggy back this once-a-day process on our Pharos database server.

Well, multiple emails seems to work pretty well in Pharos, but I think you kind of have your hands tied....  Good Luck on your research-

Willis

Thank you everybody. I appreciate the help, but I don't think Pharos has ever gotten it. Especially on the campus of University of Pennsylvania. They have no idea how we work. Similar to John Siegel situation, we don't have centralized server that pushes out data nor real time access. We are in the process of reviewing mobile printing on campus as a whole and this is a detriment to us. I've been defending Pharos for too long, when other third party systems can do the job such as PaperCut. I'm tired and I'm looking for other solutions.

Again, I thank everybody for their help. I will try some of the solutions stated above to work around this issue for now, but going forward as a University we might have to change vendors.

jean luc

upenn

Hi Jean-Luc,

I am naturally disappointed that you have reached a point of frustration resulting in this post, and like you, I deeply appreciate our community’s willingness to contribute to the understanding of the potential solutions for your situation.

When you purchase an enterprise technology solution, you expect great software, professional services and support. When you choose a Pharos mindful print solution, you also get our unwavering commitment to making print the way it should be at Penn. For 22 years, we have been challenging our customers to share an open mindset and a willingness to discover the best solutions — together.

The community and their responses to this thread are evidence of this caring spirit alive and working among employees, partners and customers alike. Pharos embraces the opinions expressed in this forum, knowing that open dialog will solve difficult issues most quickly.

Our New Zealand co-founder, Paul Reddy will be contacting you shortly to be sure that we understand how print IT works at Penn. Paul is ideally suited to explore solutions with you given his background in both Uniprint and MobilePrint, including the soon-to-be-released mobile app.

I hope you will take advantage of our offer on behalf of Penn as well as for the other institutions in our community that will undoubtedly benefit from the resulting solutions.  We appreciate your support of Pharos and are confident that we can resolve the challenges you are facing and continue to earn your business.

Respectfully yours,

Dale

Wayfarer

Hi Jean-Luc,

I would like to let you know that we are discussing a possible work-around to address the situation you have, so you will hear from us shortly. 

Changing the limit of the email length seems to be small task, but I would like to share with you and all the folks on the thread more about the scope and the impacted components.  I had a discussion with the development team on removing the email length limitation and providing this as a patch.  In order to accomplish this, changes are required for many user-related stored procedures and multiple Uniprint components.  At minimum, code changes are required for the Uniprint Administrator, EDI, Batch Loader, Cost Center importer, Pharos API, several Uniprint libraries, the automated test cases, etc.  With this being the case, releasing a patch is not recommended, therefore, I added a backlog item for this task to be considered in future releases.

I am looking forward to hear your feedback on the possible work-around.

Best Regards,

Hany

Richard Post Guide

Jean-Luc : I have successfully tested allowing users to create their own account via the Guest Account Creation process and associating their email address with the account.  With Omega PS200s or iMFPs, users can then use Card Registration to attach their Card ID to the new account.   Basically users can create their own accounts and self manage their Card IDs and even multiple email addresses.   Please allow us to demonstrate this workflow to you sometime as I am confident that it will address the issue that you have described.

There is still a limitation in the email address field of 255 characters.   Assuming the average email address is 16 characters, the system will accommodate 15 unique emails (16 digit email plus comma =17 * 15 = 255).  Though it is not unlimited, this has been adequate from what we have been hearing in the marketplace, and certainly against some of the competition which may only allow one or two addresses.

Steven English Guide

John,

The short answer to your question is yes, they can be added manually, but as you indicated it is not practical for a user base as large as yours.  This is the challenge that most institutions face, but disallowing the email registration process is definitely a wall that pins you in as that is currently how Pharos alleviates the need to sync accounts ahead of time.  Of course, the upload feature requires no registration of email addresses, but despite being more convenient a lot of the time, it is not always the best method for every situation.

Regards,

Steven

John Siegel Guide

I'm confused about how to have users add additional email accounts via print center. We do not use the email registration process, but even when I add a new user via My print Center I never receive the option of adding an email address.

When I try to add email accounts manually, separated by a comma, a comma and a space, or just a space, it isn't working. I still get a bounce back telling me the added email needs to be registered. Am I missing something? Anyone else having this same issue?

Regards,

John

Steven English Guide

John,

The user interface for manually adding, viewing, or removing email addresses did not make the transition over to print center, so you will not find an equivalent to the dropdown in MP 1.3.2 (and MP 1.3.1 iirc).  On the automatic registration portion, I just tested it and it works as expected without spaces in between (stevene@tracsystems.com,steven@tracsystems.com,stephen@tracsystems.com).  I manually add a comma to the end of the list along with my email address and sent another email.  The auto register process worked as expected.   The error in the images you posted after I started typing this indicate that there is a problem with the general registration process which would likely affect accounts from properly registering at all.  The only thing I see in the email addresses that may be an issue is case-sensitivity, but in my testing MP did not appear to care about case.  I think your issue lies in the last image, along with removing the spaces between email addresses.

Regards,

Steven

John Siegel Guide

Hi Steven,

By automatic registration process I assume you mean via email? If so, we don't have that option. When we asked about users adding email accounts we were led to believe that there was a method available for individual users to log on and register additional emails. So what I hearing from you is that it is not possible to have individuals log on via web interface and add accounts  and that the only way to add additional email accounts is manually, or via some sort of file import. Allowing users to have multiple associated email accounts was the major reason that CU insisted we update to Pharos 9.0 and Mobileprint 2.0. I wonder if it could be facilitated via a couple of dedicated Omegas.

~John

Steven English Guide

John,

The manual email registration is facilitated by a user (student) emailing pre-configured email addresses in the MobilePrint web admin.  The user then receives a special link which results in the email address to which the link was sent being added to the database upon a successful logon.  My understanding from your posts is that this is the part that is frowned upon by the security team as it is a link that asks students to login at the page they are directed to.

The term "automatic registration" is really more of a carryover from 1.3.2 and earlier when the MP user db was separate, and when the email address was not recognized by MP it would look into the Uniprint db and add the email address and logon ID to the MP registered users db (IdCache.db).  In MP 2.0, I don't suppose it is actually registering anything, but it is finding the email address in the Uniprint db - even if you have never used the system before and - and automatically assigning the job owner as the Pharos logon ID associated with  the email address.

What Katherine communicated is correct and lines up with my testing and expectations.  As stated, the workflow appears to be malfunctioning.  Whether a service is not started, or the cryptographic keys between the MP server and the print server are off, or something entirely different, I do not think your problem is with the emails listed in the email field of the database.  If you do not ensure that the email addresses are stored comma separated without spaces, then you will likely encounter an issue there once everything else is resolved, but in the meantime the process is breaking down upstream or downstream of the email lookup. 

You could look in the MP web admin under Template Customization and see if an error message matches the text of the error in the email you received, or just contact Pharos Support and they will get it straightened out soon enough.

Regards,

Steven

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                            John Siegel Guide

Hi Steven,

Thanks as always for the input.  I think it's the script that I implemented with Decker during our upgrade to 9.0 that may be causing the problem with adding any additional emails. I'm guessing the script is seeing anything in the email field in the Pharos DB as one long email, by ignoring the separator, in this case a comma. That would explain why adding john.siegel@comcast.net breaks both accounts. If I add a second account, both accounts get a register your email bounce back from the system. If I manually edit the account, changing john.siegel@colorado.edu to john.siegel@comcast.net it works as expected.

The crux of the problem is the university's insistence (usually at the behest of the OIT Security Group) in customizing the product to work differently than it was designed and then complaining when said customization breaks a desired functionality. Just when you though it couldn't get more exciting, CU decides that they are going to move faculty and staff over to Office 365 and leave the student body on the old exchange system. The only way to support both is to add the Office 365 email account as a second email in the Pharos DB, since they are already in the system with their @colorado.edu exchange accounts. Once we figure out why adding an additional account breaks things, the bigger challenge will be figuring out a way to automate or facilitate users adding additional email accounts., hence our disappointment in not being able to do so with My Print Center.

I'll need follow to up with Decker and probably Rich Post to see what our options are.

Regards,

John

University of Colorado at "Area 51"

Boulder, Colorado, USA