3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2014 2:02 PM by Chris Axtell

Automatic User import without overwriting Administrator and Proctor roles

Gerald Rezes Tracker

I am starting to user the userload command line function.  I want to import users from our university's badge system into Pharos with the Role User.  But, I already have some library staff member in the database set with higher privileged role such like Proctor and Administrator.  If I import all the users from the automatically generated file, the library staff members lose their high privileged roles. 

Is there a way to do an update without overwriting these roles?  The only way I can think is to run the userload twice.  Once removing all the Role declarations from the import file and just performing an update on existing users.  Then to run the import again with the Role declarations set to User and only performing an insert of new records. 

• Re: Automatic User import without overwriting Administrator and Proctor roles
          Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Gerald,

What version of Uniprint are you currently using?

In Uniprint 8.3 and greater (from what my testing proves) if you leave the <access level> column blank, the users Access Level will not be updated.   This is the same when using the userload.exe from the command line or using the Batch Load Users from within the Pharos Administrator.

Note: What you cannot do is insert new Users that do not have an Access Level in the import file.

So if you have a set of Users already in the system with Access Levels you can remove that column from their record in the import file and the User record in the database will not have an adjusted Access Level.

Thanks,

Jeff

Gerald Rezes Tracker

Jeff, I am testing this on Uniprint v9.0.   I am going to have to devise a combination of update, insert and delete to sync up the data.  I was hoping there was an ignore option for userload.exe similar to the group ignore. 

Thanks for you input.

Chris Axtell Navigator

One suggestion to try is a separation of roles and identities. Our user accounts (non-priviliged) are batch loaded from our AD system on a nightly bases using our standardized usernames. All of our privileged accounts (Pharos Protors/Admins) use a different username (which uses a different standard than the AD format) from their daily account with these privileges assigned. This way a individual that posses elevated privileges within Pharos has a one identity for when they are the "customer" of the service, and another one when they are "administrating" the service.

Think of the use case in an Active Directory environment where the Domain/Enterprise Administrator has two accounts. Their daily account and their DA/EA accounts are not the same in the ideal use case scenario.