5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 1:14 PM by John Siegel

Fault-finding for Omega setup?

brad Pioneer

Hi guys,

I'm new to setting up/configuration Omega terminals, as this has been done for us by our support agent in the past, however I'm currently setting up a test environment for the purpose of testing the new Xerox machines we'll be moving to shortly.

I've obtained a copy of the Install and Config file for the PS200. It's up and running, for the most part, but I'm having issues with getting it to learn the pulses from the copier. Our Xerox support tech is coming around tomorrow to look at it with me, in case it's an issue with the interface cable (which he's just had to replace, as it was supplied with the wrong version the first time around), and I'm posting this in the hopes that someone's watching and has come across this before and can give some pointers on the process to go through for establishing the cause of the issue.

The symptoms as I'm seeing them at this point in time, is going through the learning process on the Omega, and failing on the first of the tests with an error saying that it's unable to determine the difference in pulses received from the machine between B&W 1 copy, and Colour 3 copies, or similar. Initially, I thought it was just duplex/simplex which was the issue, but I took it right back to only having A3/A4 and B&W/Colour, and still had issues with the learning.

Is there something else I should be doing, or something I can have our printer tech look at for this??

Cheers,

Brad.

• Re: Fault-finding for Omega setup?
          John Stewart Guide

The good news is that the enable on the copier appears to be working.  So the FDI connection is at least operating at some level.  Good place to start.

Depending on the model of Xerox device you have the configuration of the FDI is different.  Typically a Xerox Analyst won't have much exposure to the hardware related installation and configuration.  Sometimes a technician is better prepared to work at this level on the device.  It can be tricky.

When copier learner mode fails it should provide you with a graph that looks like the output of an oscilloscope.  These are the pulses that the PS200 is seeing from the FDI.  There should be a change in the line level corresponding to a specific attribute that you are trying to track.  So color should show something different on one of the attribute lines.  If the attribute lines do not move then we’re not seeing a change from the Xerox FDI side.

If there is nothing coming out it means that the FDI is not configure correctly or that the attribute in question is not available on the specific Xerox model.  Your Xerox folks should be able to help figure out which one it is.

John Siegel Guide

Hi Brad,

We use Omega's with our Xerox MFP's. I've been working with the Pharos software since version 5.4. The Omega learning feature will consistently fail when there are insufficient pulses to distinguish between attributes, i.e. paper sizes, etc. I am the Xerox onsite support person for the Pharos system at CU Boulder. We have noticed going forward that most of the newer FDI's don't send out much of a variety of pulses. The latest experience involved the Xerox Workcentre 7835. It sends out 2 pulses, one for B&W, one for Color.

John Stewart is correct, the analysts will not have a working knowledge of how the Pharos system interacts with the FDI. The tech can help in setting up the FDI and assuring it is running but there is no way to "add" pulses. There is a tool you can connect to the Pharos cable to measure the pulses.

What models are you working with? Have you considered using iMFP certified devices. Since iMFP is designed to work with the Pharos system, it provides sufficient pulses to break out most attributes. The licensing and hardware is also less expensive, and you use a card reader with the LCD on the device to interact directly with the MFP's. This solves space issues (no dedicated space needed for a print release station), and mounting problems, as in where do we stick the Omega and still meet ADA requirements. The only caveat is that you need to have MFP's that are iMFP certified. There is a list of Xerox compatible devices available on the Pharos website.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

Regards,

John

brad Pioneer

Hi John and John (can't even call one of you JohnS to distinguish! ) - thanks for the responses, and my apologies for not having replied sooner myself - been right in the thick of things these last few months, on a number of various projects/major tasks.

Unfortunately, the choice of machines was out of our hands - this was a corporate-wide contract, with Libraries only being a part of it. They got what they got. Fortunately - it turned out that wasn't too much of an issue. With regard to the cost effectiveness of the hardware - we already had Omega 200's for all but 3 of our printers, so the cost side of the argument was a bit of a moot point (thankfully).

As it turned out, the issue we were experiencing was due to an incorrect interface cable being used - it was a "standard" one, instead of an "advanced" one, so the pulses it would carry were very limited.

We're running ApeosPort-V C3373 machines, for the most part, with a smattering of ApeosPort-IV 3070's, and they seem to be doing the job quite nicely, thus far (last library getting rolled out on Monday).

Cheers,

Brad.

John Siegel Guide

...............And let's not forget the fun of being in the middle when the hardware manufacturers want to blame the software and the software manufacturers want to blame the hardware!