5 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2014 6:34 PM by Steven English

Setting duration based on user groups

Ian Graham Newbie

Hello,

Is is possible to set the minimum and maximum reservation duration based on user groups in Uniprint 8.4? At the moment it looks like the only way to control this based on the computer type category.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Ian

• Re: Setting duration based on user groups
          Timothy Grzeczka Pioneer

Yes you can set Maximum Reservations per Day and Maximum Use Time per Day on user groups:

1. Goto Users -> Groups in Pharos Admin.

2. In the group you wish to modify, set the items I listed above; Max Use Time is in minutes.

This overrides the Maximum Normal Reservation Duration in SignUp -> Computer Types. While we don't use reservations on our campus, we do use this to limit our library guests to 240 minutes or 4 hours. The standard maximum in the Computer Type for our Library is 480 minutes or 8 hours. Students, faculty and staff get the choice to extend if they are there that long; guests do not.

I'm happy to answer any other SignUp questions I can.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Steven English Guide

Ian, 

To the best of my knowledge, there is not any way to do this - even with a script (though Pharos could confirm the part about the script).  The option Timothy suggested is potentially a workaround, but that will only work if the user's number of maximum daily minutes is less than the minimum reservation duration of any computer type.  If you give library-card-holding users 180 minutes per day and guests only 120 minutes per day, then want to allow the card holding patrons a 60 minute reservation while limiting guests to 30 minute reservations, you are mostly out of luck.  The only way I could think of to massage the situation would be to force reservations through the Nerve Center, and venture into unsupported territory by customizing the Nerve Center.

Regards,

Steven

Ian Graham Newbie

Thank you both!

Steve, what do you mean by customizing the Never Center? Making changes within IIS?

Daniel Johns Tracker

I can confirm that Steve is right about scripts not being able to affect maximum reservation durations.

Customizing the Nerve Center would consist of editing the code within the .asp files that are installed on the web server.  In theory this could be made to impose a tighter limit on reservation duration than that which is determined from settings configured in Administrator, but you don't want to go there unless it really is the only way to accomplish what you want.  Finding where to change things and making the right changes could be tricky; the changes would need to be manually re-applied whenever you upgrade the system; and, depending on how complicated a system of maximum durations you want, the information about maximum durations available to the Nerve Center may not be enough for your purposes anyway.  Also, if you have Queued Reservations then "to force reservations through the Nerve Center" is easier said than done: the only type of Reservations that ordinary users (as opposed to privileged users who have permission to use the more administrative features of Nerve Center and make or delete Reservations for anybody) can make at the Nerve Center is Scheduled.

Steven English Guide

Ian,

I think Daniel covered everything I would have said and then some.  Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will do what I can to help.  Thanks!

Regards,

Steven