12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2014 3:26 PM by bsbwlibrary

Auto-filling Logon ID in Windows 7 Signup Client

bsbwlibrary Wayfarer

Hello all,

We recently replaced all our Windows XP machines with new PCs running Win7, and have found that the Logon ID field is no longer populated automatically. The documentation in Pharos Administrator says that if you include the Logon ID variable (%1) in the "Computer Reserved" prompt, the Logon ID field should be filled when the user goes to log on, which was the case under XP but is no longer happening under Win7. We're a public library and most of our patrons are logging in using their long (13 or 14 digit) library barcode numbers, so naturally people are now complaining that they have to type these in at each login.

Is there any way to get this feature back, perhaps via a registry key or even using scripts somehow? If we can't get the Signup Client to automatically fill the Logon ID field then we'll probably have to install barcode scanners at every public PC, something we'd like to avoid.

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Auto-filling Logon ID in Windows 7 Signup Client
          Steven English Guide

Paul,

I recall seeing a similar issue a few years back, but it was in reverse (logon IDs populating even though the customer did not want them too).  My recollection is that the pre-population of the log in box was deemed a security risk and eventually removed, but Pharos would have to confirm.  I see the same behavior as you on an 8.4 system with a Win7 client in that the logon ID is not pre-populated even when using the %1 placeholder as advertised in the documentation.

Regards,

Steven 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              bsbwlibrary Wayfarer

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of - IMO Pharos should have left that decision up to the individual sys admins, I'm sure we aren't the only ones who depended on that feature and therefore didn't consider it a security risk. I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to make that feature available as an option in Pharos Administrator or the Signup Client registry keys, rather than ripping it out altogether.

Can we request that this be added back into Signup as a configurable option? Would like to hear from Pharos staff on this issue.

brad Pioneer

Must admit - I'm intrigued. How is your system set up, such that you use an auto-populated ID for signin? Do (did?) you use guest logins or something?

I know that, in our environment, we use authentication against our Library Management System, so there's no way the ID could be auto-populated, as the system wouldn't know who's logging in... the guest thing is the only way I can think of it working... as I said... I'm intrigued Mind giving a quick run-down on how you guys are using this, please?

Steven English Guide

Brad,

Regardless of the point of authentication (LMS or internal Pharos db), enabling queued or scheduled reservations means that the SignUp computer will have a reservation for a specific user.  Populating the ID field on the workstation only makes sense when passwords are used, but when they are, it saves the user from having to type in their library card number since they only have to enter their PIN/password.  This would not work for patrons that just walk up to a workstation and logon, but it will work for those that create their reservation via the Pharos Station or Nerve Center if it is enabled (though they would likely need to type their number in there unless the Nerve Center is made available from within the library with a barcode scanner attached).  If using a script to connect to an LMS for authentication, the account will be created in Pharos when they logon for the creation of the reservation - thus Pharos is able to know in advance who they are.

Regards,

Steven

brad Pioneer

Ahhh that totally makes sense! Didn't think about reservations! Thanks for that, Steven

It's not something which has come up here, because we have HP "POS" keyboards on our public PCs, which include both a touchpad on one end of the keyboard, and (most importantly for this particular discussion) swipe readers, so that our patrons can put their 14-digit ID into the user ID field with a swipe of their card.

bsbwlibrary Wayfarer

Brad, as Steven mentioned, we use queued reservations at our Library - in most cases, patrons sign themselves on using a Pharos Station that we have set up for creating reservations and releasing print jobs. Unless the computers are full, they are directed to their assigned computer, and this is how the computer receives their login information. Those without valid Library cards are manually entered into the Pharos database by a librarian and then given a reservation through the Nerve Center, so all sign-ins are ultimately the result of a queued reservation.

Under XP, the patron would click the login button, agree to our use policy, and then only have to key in their PIN or password as the Logon ID field would already have their barcode filled in. Since the Win7 upgrade, this no longer happens, and some of our less-than-savvy patrons are understandably upset at having to type their ~14 digit barcodes manually.

bsbwlibrary Wayfarer

Anyone on Pharos staff have a solution for this?

Wayfarer

As Steven mention, the pre-population of the log in box was deemed a security risk, so we decided to remove it.  I agree with Paul; we should have had this as an administrator configurable option to decide whether to utilize or not, however, this is not the current case.  My apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

I will add a backlog item with this request; however, I can’t promise any availability dates at this time.

bsbwlibrary Wayfarer

Thanks for following up, Hany - we ordered a handful of barcode scanners today (only needed a few as we still have a bunch left from before we started using SignUp). These should hold us over until this feature is re-added.

Steve Mosing Newbie

We would also support bringing this option back

Steven English Guide

For anyone that missed it or happens upon this thread in the future, updates were made to 8.4 and 9.0 to support auto-populate on Windows systems newer than XP (along with override capabilities via client side reg keys).

http://community.pharos.com/docs/DOC-1632

Uniprint 9.0 SignUp Client Revision 24

Uniprint 8.4 SignUp Client Revision 126

This update addresses the following issue:

When a session is assigned to a client machine, the SignUp Client will now populate the username of the assigned reservation user into the Logon ID field during log on, so that the user need only enter their password.

Autopopulate is the default behavior.

To override the auto-populate function (so that the user is required to enter both Logon ID and Password) add a new registry entry in HKLM\Software\Pharos\SignUp Client or on 64-bit machines: HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Pharos\SignUp Client

New DWORD registry entry: AutoFillLogonID. If this entry is created and set to 0 the Logon ID will not be populated. If the entry is not present or is set to something other than 0 the username will be populated.

On Windows XP this behavior is not configurable. On XP, Express Logons will always populate the username, and regular logons will not.

Autopopulate of Logon ID will only happen when both Logon ID and Password questions are asked on the SignUp Client.

1 of 1 people found this helpful