6 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2014 11:27 PM by brad

Has anyone had any Sharing violations when installing popup on windows 8

Mike Dorris Tracker

I've never seen this before, just wanted to see if anyone experienced this as well:

[2014/04/08 09:42:43 P1AC8 T1EEC Controller] CFileRetriever::ThreadProc] A CException was caught: "Encountered a sharing violation while accessing drv_HP Universal Printing PCL 6_for_x64.exe."

[2014/04/08 09:42:43 P1AC8 T1EEC Controller] <- CFileRetriever::ThreadProc

[2014/04/08 09:42:43 P1AC8 TF5C Controller] [CStepDownloadingModules::DoRunIndex] Caught exception. Deleting file (if exists) "drv_HP Universal Printing PCL 6_for_x64.exe"

[2014/04/08 09:42:43 P1AC8 TF5C Controller] -> CFileRetriever::WaitForThreadToDie

[2014/04/08 09:42:43 P1AC8 TF5C Controller] <- CFileRetriever::WaitForThreadToDie

[2014/04/08 09:42:43 P1AC8 TF5C Controller] [CRunInstructions::DoStep] A PSException was caught: "Encountered a sharing violation while accessing drv_HP Universal Printing PCL 6_for_x64.exe."

• Re: Has anyone had any Sharing violations when installing popup on windows 8
          brad Pioneer

My experience with Windows 8 is that it's a violation in and of itself... have you considered upgrading to Windows 7?

On a more serious note - I've not come across that error, though... about the only thing I can do, is perhaps ask some questions (I apologise in advance - I'm not suggesting you've not already thought of some/most of these already yourself - but I'd rather ask, and have you say "Yes, I've done it all" so that a) it's answered here so other folks don't need to ask that and b) there's a chance it'll prompt you to check something else), which may help narrow things down a little:

• Is it on multiple Win8 machines?
          • Are they "secured" machines, or a vanilla install? If they're "secured", do you have the opportunity of trying your install on a vanilla machine, to see if it's a Win8 problem, or a problem with your SOE?
          • Have you confirmed that your install media/download is ok?
          • Is the install being done as an administrator, and does that administrator have full rights to the location of the driver file it's complaining about?

Good luck!

brad Pioneer

Hey Mike Dorris - did you get this sorted? Interested to know how you got on...

Jim Gilliver Pioneer

I know this is pretty late to the party (so probably not very useful), but a sharing violation implies that something was holding the file open and didn't allow the Delete operation.  A reasonably common guess for that would be a virus/malware scanner or possibly some over-eager file indexer, so if you have something like that running, try disabling it to see if the problem goes away.

Otherwise, one of the best ways to be track this down (as long as it's easily reproducible) is to use Procmon from Sysinternals.  The operations you'd be interested in would be CreateFile (to open the file), and CloseFile.  You can set the filter to include only these operations, as well as restrict it to a path containing the driver module name (i.e. drv_HP Universal Printing PCL 6_for_x64.exe).  The filters to add should read something like:

Path   ends with   drv_HP Universal Printing PCL 6_for_x64.exe    then   Include

Operation   is   CreateFile    then   Include

Operation   is   CloseFile    then    Include

Apply the filter selection and then reproduce the problem.  The Details column for every CreateFile row will have text similar to this when you hover over it:

Desired Access: Read Data/List Directory, Synchronize

Disposition: Open

Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File

Attributes: n/a

ShareMode: Read, Delete

AllocationSize: n/a

OpenResult: Opened

Desired Access lists what the process is asking to be able to do with the file, and ShareMode lists what other processes will be allowed to do (assuming the CreateFile is successful).  In this case, you should see a CreateFile attempt by the package with a result of SHARING VIOLATION (the first step in deleting the file is to attempt to open it with Desired Access including Delete).  From there, work backwards to find a CreateFile that doesn't have a matching CloseFile (before the failure), and doesn't include Delete in the ShareMode section.  That process is almost certainly the culprit.

Mike Dorris Tracker

I rebooted and it resolved itself.  I assume something was holding on to the file. Thank you for all the suggestions guys.