brad

Recommendation on process for creating Test environment?

Discussion created by brad on Apr 2, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 2, 2014 by brad

Hi guys,

I'm in the early stages of planning creation of a Test Pharos environment (assuming I can convince the powers-that-be to "give" me a server to use) - we've managed to hobble along without one up to this point in time, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to justify NOT having a Test environment, when dealing with a public-facing system in a Local Government arena.

At present, our Prod system consists of 2 VM servers - one for the application, the other with the database, CMSIP server, license server, etc. We are currently running Uniprint 8.2.6005. My understanding is, the two-server configuration was chosen for performance/capacity reasons.

At this point in time, utilising some assumptions I've made at this point in time (am doing some reading to try and prove/disprove these assumptions), I am expecting/hoping to be able to configure the system onto a single VM box.

My expectation is that there would only be a relatively small number of clients connecting to the Test system (primarily because our clients are at multiple off-site locations, locked down quite severely, and also "secured" using DeepFreeze - and therefore difficult to point to an alternative server) at a time, and likely only one, possibly 2 printers.

Unfortunately, this pretty much (I think) stops us from using a clone of the current server as the basis for the new one, as the config is completely different. Bummer.

So, I'm thinking that, from a testing perspective, we'd be best off replicating our Production system as close as possible on test - aside from the obvious difference of location of services/database - so thatwe can also then go through the upgrade process on the box to see how it works out. Obviously not a perfect test, because having the database on a separate box could cause issues during the upgrade, but I don't think I could justify the expense of a second server just for that reason.

With regard to our current database in Prod - what would be the best way of getting this into the Test environment? Create the new setup with a blank database to get the structure etc. configured, and then import a backup from Prod over the top of it?

Anything else I should consider? Any recommendations/suggestions, etc appreciated

Cheers,

Brad.

Outcomes