7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 9:21 AM by Steven English

Passing AD login credentials to popup

Samuel Tarr Wayfarer

If this has already been covered I apologize, however I wasn't able to find it when searching earlier. Is it possible to pass the AD login credentials to popup when using direct print so users don't have to type username and password in each time they print? If so is anyone doing this? I'm not really sure where to start so any infuriation would be helpful. I have direct print working now, but have to type in username/password for every print job sent to the printer. We have both Windows and OSX machines. Thanks

• Re: Passing AD login credentials to popup
          Timothy Grzeczka Pioneer

This involves the adldaplogon.exe Plug-In. When our Pharos setup was done back in 2009 (wow it was that long ago) Rich Post wrote a nice little login script for us that checks if the user exists in Pharos and then does an AD check via the adldaplogon.exe Plugin. I'm not the best programmer in the world so I can't explain all of it, but I'm sure there's someone else the community (or Rich himself) who can assist with the script itself. I do know where you put it though:

In Pharos Admin, make a new bank or use an existing one; I called ours Dominican Bank.

Under Server Configuration, I set that bank in the Print Server -> Bank and the Sign-Up Server -> Bank

Note this does not add users to the Pharos database. You have to do that via bulk load or user sync.

Samuel Tarr Wayfarer

Thanks for the info. Would it be possible for you to email/message me the contents of the script removing any of your organizations sensitive information?

Steven English Guide

Samuel,

The script is applied at the logon event of a bank, and the bank would be applied to a release station, a SignUp server, or a print server if authentication at the popup level is required.  If the script is applied to the bank assigned to the print server and the popups are configured properly, all jobs will be subject to the authentication check introduced by the script (meaning guests are affected as well).  The default owner of a print job is based on the owner of the process that is generating the print job (which means the user that logged in 99% of the time).  This happens without the need for any script or popup reconfiguration, but is contingent on each user having their own logon so that they are properly billed.

Perhaps I am not understanding how you currently process jobs, what your problem is specifically, and/or how you envision a script resolving that gap between functional and optimal.  It is not a requirement by default to have to put in an AD username and password.  Are you sure it is asking for the AD username and password as opposed to just a job password (which is included in the default popup question group)?  If you type in an incorrect password, will the job still print?  If so, the job password question could be removed entirely (or a new popup question group created for the direct queues) as it servers no purpose to put a password on a job that is immediately released (the job password option is designed for release stations that do not require full authentication (e.g. if the release station shows all jobs instead of only the jobs belonging to the user that logged in).

If it is going back to Active Directory (meaning that it does require the AD password for the job to successfully print, and that there is a logon event assigned to the bank associated with the print server), then it sounds like you just want to turn this off and let Windows assign the job owner name as per the interactive user.  Please note that assigning or modifying a print server bank will affect all queues on that print server.  In your original question you describe passing the AD credentials on to Pharos so the user name and password do not have to be typed every time.  I was assuming that you wanted them to have to type it in once to ensure that if they logged into a workstation but never printed and walked away, no one else would be able to print using their account since the username and password had never been entered at the popup level.  The last answers feature of the popups should address your original question, but it sounds like there is more to the picture than just eliminating excessive entries of credentials.  It sounds like you may just need some simple out-of-the-box reconfiguration instead of a special solution or a script.

Regards,

Steven

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      Samuel Tarr Wayfarer

I was confused thinking I needed a custom script not one of the scripts built into Pharos. After reading over your post I discovered I could also remove the username as well as the password question which caused popup to go away. Its using the logged in user name which is what we wanted. Much easier than I thought it was going to be. Thanks for your help.

Steven English Guide

Samuel,

Glad to hear it. Anytime users are in an authenticated environment (i.e. they used credentials unique to them in order to gain access to their unique Windows user profile), any print jobs sent will "belong" to the interactive user that submitted them.  Allowing the username to be specified at the popup is a means to allow them to change it to something other than the sAMAccountName of the Windows user (e.g. when users are not in an authenticated environment and more than one user uses the same Windows profile and you want to be able to sort jobs by owner at the release station).  Keep in mind, you can always just set the popup questions to none at each of the queues (Pharos Administrator > Output Management > Queues ...  highlight the queue (or queues if you multi-select), and in the lower center pane under the Packages section, you can change the Question Group to <None>.

Regards,

Steven

Steven English Guide

Good Afternoon Samuel,

Have you tried enabling the use last answers feature of the popups?  I am not sure if it is treated differently than other popup questions, but I would expect that enabling this option (server side - no need to modify or touch the clients).

Regards, Steven