24 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 4:30 AM by Mark Hamer

invalid card, message after upgrading from 3.6 to 5.1 Blueprint

Mark Hamer Scout

Hi, complete newbie to blueprint so pease bare with me

(test environment all Lexmark printers)

every thing works fine at version 3.6  I can "registerme" a card and release print (edas) with it on all the printers.

after upgrading the software (all successful)

Printers get the newer embedded solutions,  config is still there and pass's the tests.

but when trying to release a print i get asked to swipe card and it just says "invalid card."  (logs indicate that it cant resolve the cardid with anything)

I do see in logs my name associated with a card number..(and in db)

I think it must be the authentication script, but as im only using ldap details i know are correct (cut and pasted from printer)

any ideas? or at least where i should be looking

thanks in advance..

• Re: invalid card, message after upgrading from 3.6 to 5.1 Blueprint
          Scott Olswold Guide

Yes, you will need an updated script. There was significant change between versions for the script language, and while the upgrade process tries its best to update any in-place scripts, it isn't a wizard and can miss some things.

Your reseller (even if it is Pharos) should be able to get you back on track, but there will be an associated fee most probably. Lexmark has updated scripts for both terminal types and authentication on their partner website. The authentication script is more a base than anything, but will provide the necessary framework for corrections.

Best regards,

Scott

Mark Hamer Scout

hi, thank you for the quick reply

Lexmark did provide a script with just the LDAP section to fill in, and I am just a technition the lexmark support has dried up all of a sudden,

i dont doubt I have done something wrong just cant see it..

all i get at presnet from lex mark is delete terminal and re do, but if im getting it wrong  repeating is not helpful :-)

I did this how i think it should be   example  not real data of course

this is applied in two areas  it is the standard card script as i see most of it in the pharos guides

string serverUri = "LDAP://Domainname.LLS.co.uk:389/OU=Users,DC=Domainname,DC=LLS,DC=CO,DC=UK";

string adminDn = "CN=SA_Ldap,OU=Service Accounts,OU=Management,DC=Domainname,DC=LLS,DC=CO,DC=UK";

string adminPassword = "Password";

the user, the domain etc all work on the printer in this form

Scott Olswold Guide

Mark,

Can you copy the current script to a TXT file (Notepad, for example), and post it here? You can blank out the data that would expose you to a security breach.

Thank you,

Scott

Mark Hamer Scout

Yes will send soon.  Just on way home,

thanks

• Re: Re: invalid card, message after upgrading from 3.6 to 5.1 Blueprint
                          Mark Hamer Scout

Hi here is the script provided by lexmark

the only bit we are told to change are the two section on ldap  which I included in a previous mail

Mark Camper Adventurer

Mark - I work for Lexmark Professional Services in the states.  The script you are using is just the basic script Lexmark development provids as a template, like Scott said, but it should still work with 5.1.  The LDAP configurations only come in to play with the "registerme" function.  However, the way I read your original post, it looks like the current issue is just logging in via the edas app.  Do I have that right?  Assuming so, just to confirm, do you have the Lexmark iMFP configuration such that "Enable Alternate Authentication" is enabled?  See the screenshot below for an example.  This script does assume that Alternate Authentication is enabled.

alternateAuth.png

Mark Hamer Scout

Hi, thanks for reply,  totally new to this so for the last week been taking everyones word for how it should work  (Lexmark, our designers etc) 

we did have a great chap from Lexmark come in and we did the upgrade, but a rip board went on the x945 which was only one I had available  so we did not get to test the apps.

I do have note and  just change the ldap setting is what hey say

we have first auth token set to card swipe   and second to none

and im pretty sure I have never ticked the box you mentioned  so looking forward to tomorrow to try it  (fingers crossed)

it is a test environment so have been blindly trying all sorts, but I think I left the imfp settings alone

thank you

Mark Camper Adventurer

Ok, if you don't have that checked you will want to do that, but also set "First Authentication Token" to Username and "Second Authentication Token" to Password.  This is what the screenshot shows, but my annotation obscured the First Auth Token setting.  This combination of settings will work with the auth script you have and will also allow users to use the eDAS app to login with a card or network credentials.

After changing the settings, if you don't see a "Manual Login" button at the bottom, try restarting the eDAS app (or rebooting the MFP) to pick up the terminal changes from the server immediately.

Mark Hamer Scout

ok, I was given a design  which had it set to card swipe only   (this is how it was at v3.6)

its a secure environment, it maybe a nesscesercity (its late here sorry about spelling)  to have card swipe only is that an issue with this version?

will try both of course

• Re: Re: invalid card, message after upgrading from 3.6 to 5.1 Blueprint
                                              Mark Camper Adventurer

I seem to have made some bad assumptions about the environment you are working in.  If your requirements are such that they want to use the "RegisterMe" app on the Lexmark MFPs and they want to do card swipe only (and not allow manual logins) with the eDAS app, the attached script should work for you if you leave the terminal configured as you currently have it:

• "Enable Alternate Authentication" - UNchecked
                                              • "First Authentication Token" - Cardswipe
                                              • "Second Authentication Token" - None

Since you are not allowing manual login to the eDAS app, you do not need to worry about any of the LDAP settings.  The only time LDAP will be contacted (from the Lexmark iMFP perspective) is during the RegisterMe process and the LDAP settings for that are contained in the RegisterMe app.  Ideally I would have cleaned up the template stuff to avoid confusion on this point, but I don't have the time at this moment.

I hope this helps.  I have done some quick testing in my lab environment and both the RegisterMe process and the eDAS login works with your configuration.  But if you have any problems let me me know and we'll see what we can do.

Mark Hamer Scout

thank you I will try as soon as I get to work in the morning

cheers

• Re: Re: Re: invalid card, message after upgrading from 3.6 to 5.1 Blueprint
                                                    Mark Hamer Scout

no joy with your suggestions,

even when i typ ethe username and passwor din it comes back with authentication failed.  (100% sure im typing in the correct stuff)

attatched is a section from the taskmaster log.

the line    the given key was not present in dicionary    seems a good place to start.

any ideas greatly apprciated.

anything i could be misisng, ie it is only this one script i edit, i dont need to set params anywhere else for AD etc?

thanks again for your input.

Mark Camper Adventurer

When you say you are typing in username and password, what app are you using on the MFP?  RegisterME or eDAS (Print Release)?  The last script I posted, bp51-auth-and-registerMe-cardswipeonly.txt.zip, was meant to address the problem with the eDAS app and logging in with Cardswipes that you initially described.  It was meant to address the issue for when you have the terminal configured with the settings:

• "Enable Alternate Authentication" - NOT checked

I had understood from your later comments that this was the desired terminal configuration and what you were using with v3.x  Did I misunderstand that?

Mark Hamer Scout

you understood well.

But i got the same invalid card message, so i tried ticking the box with both scripts   (alternate authentication) just to see if it would pass a username/password

testing is 1 analyst 1 collector both at 5.6

x792

Lexmark Registerme 3.4.8

Keyboard emulator 2.2.15

eDas 3.0.11  (licensed)

all the test buttons on the printer come back as sucsessful

(on printer)

Register me, appears to work fine, it says sucsessful

and if i look at the employee DB in blueprint admin i see my name and a card id

When i try to use edas  (release prints)  i get  a message to swipe card, i do, and i get an invalid card message.

our intended setup

is 1 analyst 12 collectors.

a variety of Lexmarks  inc 945, mx812, x950, x792 et al

the user should only be able to print with a swipe card.

the system works fine at version 3.6  but when we upgrade it falls over,  as far as i know i am doing all i should, but bviously something is missing or incorrect.

the uprade process (per lexmark advice)

analyst

delete all terminals

unlink termials in SQL

run upgrade

upgrade collector

recreate terminals with new terminal types

uninstall embedded softwar eon printers (keyboard reader/edas/registerme)

add ldap info to authentication script.   that "should" be it..

Mark Camper Adventurer

When using the script I last posted and you have the terminal object configured as you desired (Alternate Auth unchecked, first auth token cardswipe, second auth token none) do you have a "Manual Login" button at the bottom of the MFP screen when you use the edas app?  If you do have this manual login button, the MFP has not picked up the correct config from Blueprint.  I would restart the eDAS app or the MFP to force it to pick up the current config.

If you don't have the manual login button I am not sure why that last script isn't working for you.  When I tested last night I was using a different class of MFP than you are (I used a 2.x class, you have a 3.x class) but that shouldn't make a difference.  I can test with a 3.x MFP in a bit. 

Do you have a full log file you can provide?  There should be more info that preceeds the exceptions that you previously posted.

And as a last option, would you be able to do a WebEx with me (I can set it up) to look at it.  I am in the US eastern time zone (GMT -5:00).  I wouldn't be available until about 9:00 eastern today at the earliest.

Mark Hamer Scout

Thank you,  I don’t get a manual button when using your script as intended just a message saying swipe card

I can change terminal to a 2, for  a test if you think there is any use in that.?

Every thing rebooted after changes..

• Re: Re: Re: Re: invalid card, message after upgrading from 3.6 to 5.1 Blueprint
                                                                      Mark Hamer Scout

Thaks for the offer but, unable to let you see it

high security environment,  , and its air gapped,  I wish you could connect in

attatched is full log form th ex792, i stere any other paticulr log you need?

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: invalid card, message after upgrading from 3.6 to 5.1 Blueprint
                                                                          Mark Camper Adventurer

Ok, hopefully second time is the charm :-)

Here is another go at the script.  I have tested this on a 5.1 server with both a 3.x class device (X792) and a 2.x class device (X656) and both work for me here.  Both the Register Me and the eDAS login were tested on both devices.  I am not 100% clear on why I got positive results on the 2.x and not the 3.x on the last script, but I think it may have had something to do with some caching on my server (just a guess).

Anyway, try to use this script as-is.  NOTE: If it doesn't work the first time, restart the Pharos TaskMaster service and try again a couple times.  I had to restart the Pharos TaskMaster service to pick up some script changes when I was testing today.  I normally don't see that, and it way be something slightly off with my server install, but after restarting the service it worked ok. 

Make sure the terminal object is configured as before:

• "Enable Alternate Authentication" - UNchecked

Also, note that since your customer requirements do not call for manual logins, I removed those bits from this version of the script to limit confusion.  There are no LDAP config points anymore.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Mark Hamer Scout

great thank you, I cant try till Monday  unfortunately

so have a great week end and thank you for all the time and effort you have put in, much appreciated.

Mark Hamer Scout

Good morning (for me anyway) i juts printed the test docs with the script you provided, so happy days.

Is it a safe swap though,  if we just cut out the ldap stuff, is it not less secure?

thank you very much for the script..

Mark Camper Adventurer

Glad to hear that worked for you.

It is a safe swap.  The new script is just as safe as the previous script you were trying to use.  It is just less functional.  This script will only allow cardswipe logins from the eDAS application and it will not allow username/password logins or the "Alternate Authentication Method" that allows username/password and cardswipe logins to eDAS.  Since your needs were such that you only wanted cardswipe logins, I removed the LDAP functions to try to lessen confusion since they would never be used with cardswipe logins.

The RegisterMe application will continue to talk to LDAP when registering badges, but that LDAP conversation is directly from the MFP to LDAP.  The username/password pair does not travel to Blueprint when using RegisterMe.  This is all identical to how things worked with 3.5.

I hope that helps, but if you have any other concerns or questions, please let me know.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                                                        Mark Hamer Scout

just a function question, (a sdont use this softwar normally)

first time i use the card it says verifying for about a minute then just goes back to home screen, afte rthat it works fine each time,  is this normal?

and i should ask, whats the diffrence between the two scripts, ( i can se ethe lines removed etc  but  why did yours work,

cheers

Mark Camper Adventurer

Mark Hamer wrote:

first time i use the card it says verifying for about a minute then just goes back to home screen, afte rthat it works fine each time,  is this normal?

If you mean you see this first time the taskmaster service starts, I see that as well.  I see that with all scripts I have tried.  I don't know if it is "normal" or not, but I have seen it and I have never been able to get to the bottom of it.

Mark Hamer wrote:

and i should ask, whats the diffrence between the two scripts, ( i can se ethe lines removed etc  but  why did yours work,

The biggest difference is that the original script you were trying to use and this one is that assumes that you have the terminal object configured a certain way.  Specifically, the original script assumes that you have the terminal configured to allow alternate authentication to allow card swipes and username/password for eDAS authentication.  When the terminal is configured for alternate authentication eDAS sends back the userid with a leading character to indicate if the user id is a cardswipe (C) or a username/password (A) login.  The script strips off the leading character and uses the remaining data as the actual user id or card number depending on what the leading character is.  If you try to use the original script when the terminal is configured for cardswipe only (or username/password only) it will still strip off the leading character and you will be left with an improper user id.  The script you are using now assumes the terminal is configured for cardswipe only so it will not strip the leading character of the user id and will authenticate assuming the UserId object is card data.

The RegisterMe portion of the script is the same in both scripts.  The script looks for an EmailAddress object in the data that comes from the MFP/eDAS app.  If the email address object exists, the script knows this is a registration action because eDAS will never send an e-mail address.

Mark Hamer Scout

Thanks again for your assistence much appreciated.