2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2013 12:17 PM by mricharf

Ricoh MP C4502 iMFP - caveats?

Adventurer

Hello all,

We're finishing off the remainder of our 8.3 upgrade, and I've run into some issues with the Ricoh MP C4502 iMFP. (Support ticket has been open for awhile now)

I've done several installations of Ricoh iMFP 1.4.9 to our Ricoh 2851 and 3351s without a hitch.

On the C4502s, after installation of iMFP and the card reader (and all the power-cycles required), the card reader is not recognized by default. When I enable Pharos syslog on the machines, there are entries showing that the device is searching for a card reader, but not detecting one. The onboard Pharos diagnostics show an external authentication module is not present, and the MFP is unable to read cards.

Strangely enough, if I turn on USB and Keyboard authentication on the release station, tap the touchscreen to login and swipe a card, the card number is entered into the username field and the machine operates as expected.

I've been going back and forth with Pharos, Ricoh and my local Ricoh vendor to no avail. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

Mike Richardson

Sr. Technical Assistant

George Mason University Print Services

• Re: Ricoh MP C4502 iMFP - caveats?
          nbartolotti@pharos.com Tracker

Hi Michael,

Has your support ticket been answered/solved?

Thanks,

Nick.

• Re: Ricoh MP C4502 iMFP - caveats?
              Adventurer

Yes. Ricoh is nice enough to ship multiple Java versions on their JavaCARDs. The machine that was giving us the most trouble needed an update to 10.15 in order to function. The 1.4.9 iMFP software did allow me to push the installation to this machine with an old Java version, which is why I couldn't wrap my head around why it would successfully install but not work as expected.

My Ricoh techs were nice enough to send me the Java updaters from Ricoh's TSCweb for all the JavaCARD versions that I have in my fleet, so if it happens again, I can just flash with the latest version without incurring a service call.