28 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 6:37 PM by Yadin Flammer

Color Laserjet only prints in grayscale when using Pharos

Jeff Gilbertson Wayfarer

We have an HP ColorLaserjet 4700 that we use in a computer lab - students use Pharos to pay for print jobs - when anyone tries to print a job with color to the color laserjet it prints out everything in grayscale. I have checked the settings on the printer and everything looks correct. We are using the HP Universal Print driver. I hooked a laptop up to the printer and printed a job through USB and the job printer in color correctly. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

• Re: Color Laserjet only prints in grayscale when using Pharos
          brad Pioneer

Hi Jeff,

Have you tried creating a new queue or printer package for this printer? Wondering if it's possible that at the time the package was created, the printer was only configured as a B&W, rather than colour (Output Management > Devices > Printer > "Printer Type")... or perhaps the "Copy Printer Settings" option in Output Management > Queues section for that printer isn't selected?

Basically, for this kind of stuff, a process of elimination is called for - narrow down the possible causes by eliminating them one at a time. Creating a new queue for the printer is easy enough, as is creating a new driver package - and by doing so, ensuring that you have the colour options selected where appropriate, should help you work out what's been missed in the process the first time around.

Cheers,

Brad.

Jeff Gilbertson Wayfarer

Hey Brad,

Here is a rundown of what we have tried:

Created a new print queue – same issue occurs

Created a new print queue with a different HP Color Laserjet – this one model 4025 – same issue occurs

Tried 3 different versions of the Universal HP Driver – PCL5, PCL6, and PCL 6.5 – all have the same issue

Here is the exact issue – All text and colored backgrounds (for example MS Power Point slides) print in black and white, but embedded graphics print in color. So when someone prints a power point presentation out, if they have embedded pictures in the slides, the pictures print in color, but the colored text and slide designs only print in black and white. If I print just a jpeg image to the printer it prints in color, but if I create a word document that has the text in different colors it only prints it black and white.

If I connect to these printers and bypass pharos and print to them using USB or by IP they print in color just fine using all 3 versions of the HP universal driver that is listed above.

Thanks for your help – this is a strange one

Jeff

Scott Olswold Guide

Jeff,

First, I want to point out that Pharos Uniprint doesn't modify the contents of the print file, so this can actually help identify the pain point faster. Part of the issue with any "universal" print driver is that they tend to be developed in such a way that a discrete connection to the output device is required (it can then grab things like the model of the printer via SNMP, determine any attached features - paper trays, finishers, staplers) to configure the driver to correspond as close as possible to the model-specific driver available. When used within the construct of the Pharos software, this gets abstracted (wholly abstracted in Uniprint 8.3 and 8.4; partially so in Uniprint 8.2 and lower), and can result in problems on the client side.

Ironically, I know for a fact that the HP Universal Print Driver always includes some color information (mostly because the printers themselves are MUCH better at rendering grayscale than is Windows Spooler), and that is evidenced by your "mixed mode" output. This tells me that your installed instance (via packages, I assume) fully believes itself to be a monochrome driver and (propeller head time) is not issuing the @PJL SET COLORPLANES = 1 command that causes the printer to only emit monochrome output. Here's a state check, and this does encroach upon repetition of Brad's suggestions earlier.

Check the Device Type

Here's a screenshot of my PostScript version HP driver:

The "Device Type" (last line) is set to Color. Once that's verified, you can click on the Advanced tab > Printing Defaults > Color and ensure that the "preview" image shows a blue "E" drop cap and a color bar chart:

From there, the driver will contain color information for every element unless the application is overriding that behavior (see the bottom option of the Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 Print dialog box):

Alternate Pathways

If your output still insists on misbehaving, then something else is afoot. An peculiarity of the HP Universal Print Driver is that it will force monochrome output if the "Enable Bidirectional Support" option on the driver's Ports tab is enabled (mine is disabled):

If the bidirectional capability is enabled, but the driver cannot "speak" through it and get printer information, all of the configuration above means nothing, because the value of PrintColor for the driver within the Windows Registry is 0 (0 = NO). You can see it for yourself by going into the Windows Registry on the client and browsing to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\<Printer_Name_Here>\DsDriver

and looking at the value for PrintColor. If it isn't 1, you're not getting color output from native elements inside a Microsoft Office document (you may get full-blown color from Adobe Acrobat, however).

Give it all a check, and let us know how you come out!

Regards,

Scott

Mark Oliver Adventurer

Scott (and all) - I am still getting reports of users who are submitting documents to my Color queue, only to have their jobs print in Black&White - even though the Device Type is set to "Color" as noted above. Could it be the HP Universal Driver? I believe that I have a newer version of this driver, but I don't know how to install it and build it into a new distribution package.

Mark Oliver

brad Pioneer

Mark - gotta ask. Have you been able to replicate this yourself? Have any staff been involved when they've been trying to do this printing in colour? Need to keep in mind that printing involves settings from both the dedvice and queue end, as well as from the client end. ie. they could be sending the job to the printer in monochrome mode. Only reason I say this is that we've had similar complaints here about colour printing - and it's always been the user, rather than the system, which is at fault.

With regard to setting up the new print driver, probably best to ask that in a separate thread so you don't hijack Jeffs question about the colour printing.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      Paul LaFollette Guide

I know my reply is a little 'late to the party'...

Certain versions of the HP Universal driver (most of them) also have a "Color Printing Mode" setting about three items above the Device Type setting.   "Color Printing Mode" is usually defaulting to 'Automatic' and on color printers you should change that to 'On'.

Setting that in addition to the Device Type setting are required to ensure you get Color when printing in color.

Hope it helps.

Timothy Grzeczka Pioneer

I agree with Paul's comments. I have two HP LaserJet CM4540s we use for Secure Release color printing and the Universal driver would never work right for color even with all the settings correct. We use separated queues for color and B&W so it wasn't a huge deal and I'm using the PCL6 drivers for the CM4540 now.

Yadin Flammer Navigator

We have been fighting with an instance of this issue for 3 months now with no result.  Despite my assertion to everyone per Pharos assertion that the server does not alter the job in any way, no one believes me at this point.  Here are the facts:

1. We have two Ricoh Aficio MP C2800 devices which have been verified by Ricoh support as having identical settings on the devices in addition to us looking over them several times.

2. This problem only happens to ONE of the devices, and ONLY from MS Office on Windows (no other apps, and not on a Mac).

3. If we change IPs of devices, the issue moves to the new device, so we have proven it's NOT device based, per point 1.

4. If you direct print to the IP instead of going through Uniprint, the problem does not occur.

5. We have verified many many times that all driver settings/properties on the server and client are identical to each other and both devices are identical to each other in settings.

6. Having read through Scott's post above, double checked the port settings and registry values, no smoking guns.

At this point I say we need a priest and a chicken because this is some voodoo.  Everyone else says we need to delete and remake the printer/queue on the server entirely because it's corrupt, which is obviously a pain since you have to purge all the records to be able to do that.  It also doesn't feel like the right answer and I can't believe it would actually work.  I guess I could make a second queue/device pointing to the same IP as a test, but eesh...

Anyone have another idea we may have missed?

Paul LaFollette Guide

You are using the Ricoh driver for these devices?  And is it a Postscript driver?

Are the driver settings (every tab, every section) at the Pharos server the same from one device to the other?

I assume the sending computers are looking to the Pharos server for the queue and the drivers to use?  If so, the "guilty culprit" is definitely with the driver and driver settings for the queue at the server since the computers would be "pulling" both drivers and settings from the server.

What do you find?

- Paul L.

Yadin Flammer Navigator

Yes it's the PS drivers, and yes the official Ricoh drivers.

Yes as I said, all the settings all the tabs, both devices, unchanged going to client, etc etc, repeatedly verified all the same.

No idea what you're saying in that last bit, nothing is pulled from the server, that's not how Uniprint works (unless there is some way to do that of which I'm not familiar, or you're talking about the new driverless mobileprint which we're not running, we are still on Uniprint 8.4).  The package is set to include the settings, and we have (per above again) verified those settings are intact on the client once the package is installed, and they continue to be identical.

John Siegel Guide

I agree with Paul, we had a similar problem with the Xerox 8570's using the "global driver", when we switched to the driver specific to the model, viola! no more "color" grayscale.

~John

Yadin Flammer Navigator

I don't know that Ricoh has a "global driver", but we're not using it.  Both devices are using the same driver, and it's the Ricoh Aficio MP C2800 PS driver (print processor E323PP64).  Despite both being the same, one has this issue, the other does not, and it's 100% of the time on both counts, nothing random.

Paul LaFollette Guide

So (just to be certain) you're using the PostScript3 driver (not the "PS Driver for Universal Print" newly available from Ricoh)?

When you said "The package is set" that tells me you're using the Packages part of Uniprint through which Uniprint compiles an executable which is used to install the driver, print connection, Popup, and Update all in one easy to install package.

The part I said about "pulling" the driver doesn't use packages at all.  The user simply puts in the UNC path to the print queue and the computer "pulls" driver and settings from what the server is currently using.  No popup, no executable install package.  Very quick and extremely easy, but not without it's drawbacks (for example, the print connection only shows for the current user at time of install).  Just a simple shared printer connection.

- Paul L.

Scott Olswold Guide

Yadin,

So if I were to print to "QueueA" (the queue that doesn't have the issue) and release the job on any of your C2800 MFPs, I would get the correct behavior (grayscale if I chose grayscale output, color if I chose color output). But if I use QueueB, then the output is always grayscale, no matter which device is the output target.

So let's do this:

1. Install both queues to the same computer.
                                        2. Create a new MS Word document. Type in "Hello World!"
                                        3. Select File>Print and choose the working queue. Specify color ouptut. Redirect the output to File. Name it something exciting like "Working-Color.prn".
                                        4. Do the same, choosing grayscale output. Redirect the output to File. Name it "Working-Gray.prn".
                                        5. Perform steps 3 and 4, but using the non-working queue. Name the files "Bad-Color.prn" (step 3) and "Bad-Gray.prn" (step 4).
                                        6. Attach each to this thread with a reply.

I'll look through the four and see if there is a damning difference, so we can let the priest sleep and keep the chicken for something more useful.

Regards,

Scott

Yadin Flammer Navigator

Thanks Scott, appreciate the help!  I don't see how I can attach files to the thread however...  I'll email you a zip.

Scott Olswold Guide

Yadin,

There is definitely something going on in the "faulty" driver. First, let me start by saying that I love (love, love, love, love, love: ) PostScript.

For the most part, the "broken" and "working" queues generate the exact same PostScript code for the file. This driver (at least; it may be a Ricoh thing) puts the onus of gray vs. color squarely on one command as far as the UI goes (see Paul's screenshot below):

%%BeginFeature *ColorModel

This supports CMYK and Gray as answers, and this causes RCsetdevicecolor to be defined as (cmyk) or (gray).

So far, so good. But the "broken" driver always puts this in:

/DeviceGray dup setcolorspace /colspABC exch def

regardless of what value *ColorModel has been set. Since this occurs later in the PostScript file setup, but prior to any writing or imaging commands, it will be the overriding command for color support. /DeviceGray is a completely valid PostScript command. The /colspABC exch def phrase at the end is basically telling the PostScript render to to use the independent 3-primary color space "ABC" to be used when converting any color objects to grayscale (this allows rendering intents and other color management functions to be engaged).

I am able to validate this by running the provided files through Acrobat Distiller (I did mention how much I love PostScript, right?) and viewing the resulting PDFs. In the case of the "broken" files, both rendered to gray, while the "working" files rendered to color (workingcolor.prn) and gray (workingbw.prn) as expected.

I do have one question. Based on the files, you are using the RICOH Aficio MP C2800 PS3 3017.104 PPD, a PostScript Level 3 PPD, but the file is being created against the Level 2 specification. Are you explicitly setting up your queue objects to use Level 2 features instead of Level 3? I don't think it is particularly relevant to this issue, but PS3 did provide better efficiencies in much of the code base. As far as your particular problem, my suggestion is to get Ricoh Technical involved and determine why the driver is putting in the extra color control command. They would know (hopefully) what function in "%%BeginPageSetup" (since this is where the command is always inserted) might cause the behavior.

Regards,

Scott

Yadin Flammer Navigator

Thanks again Scott, your PS expertise is fantastic as always, and your love of it slightly disturbing as always 

It's nice to have confirmed in code what we were seeing in practice, but the reasoning is what's still elusive.  Why is it ONLY printing from MS Office apps that produces this issue (and only from Windows)?  That's the lingering bit here that makes Ricoh (we've already asked them, though not specific down to the PS command) say that it's not their driver which is at fault.  If it's a MS Office issue, why is it ONLY to one printer, and not its identical twin?  That's the madness that has people saying it's Pharos at fault, performing some voodoo on the driver settings we can't see.  You might think we've proven otherwise here, but the response is simply "but if we set up direct IP printers on the client they work fine, it's only the one installed from Pharos that's an issue".  A valid assertion, but I can't figure why it's happening or how to fix it.

As to the PS2 vs PS3 thing, that's the driver default on install apparently.  I find where that setting is in the advanced properties and we can run tests setting it to 3 to see if that helps, but since they're both the same that shouldn't matter, but then since they're both the same why are they different to begin with?  All reasons why the "driverless" printing in 9.1 is very attractive, if we can use it some day...

Scott Olswold Guide

Yadin,

Sometimes a good kick in the pants is required. MS Office apps use a very invasive API (Get_Printer_Info) to query the printer queue associated with the file, or, if that printer is not available on the local computer, the default printer. Then, when you're in the "Print" dialog box, they do the same thing again if you choose a different printer from the selection menu. The logic is that the app (say, Word) is able to snag the printable area from the driver, defined paper sizes, and font support. The wickedness associated with this is that if you swap printers mid-stream, you run the risk of introducing line break/page break shifts in the document that you really didn't intend to make simply because you wanted to print a file (did I mention font substitution and/or glyph substitution, too?). So if there is any tiny little thing different between queues, MS Office will find it, exploit it, and make you run for cover. Adobe Acrobat products do this too, and for some of the same purposes, but without the nasty reflow issue.

On the server, go to Properties for the "broken" driver, click the Advanced tab, and change out the associated driver. Apply that change. Then, go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3 and C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\W32X86\3 (if you are sharing a 32-bit version) and delete the RI3231E3.BPD file that lives there. Then, back in the queue, change the associated driver back to the RICOH Aficio MP C2800 PS driver. Apply this change and close out the queue's Properties page. I don't think you will be prompted to rebuild the Pharos package(s), but do so anyway.

On a client, remove the current queues and use the Popup installer to add them again. Print to the "broken" queue. Do you get a change in behavior?

Scott

Paul LaFollette Guide

Scott's recommendation is a good idea.

I was down to looking at the options under Printer Properties (accessed from the Print Preview in Word) to look at what is set at this view:

Clip1.jpg

If the thumbnail is gray instead of colored, print jobs would be in grayscale.

But Scott's direction cuts to the chase. 

- Paul L.