4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 12:51 PM by Francois Grenier

Server Maintenance / Best Practices

Mark Oliver Adventurer

Hi everyone - is there a document that describes any steps on server maintenance? For example, "every 10 days look at LogFile.xxx" to check for errors", or "every 2 weeks look at the free space on the server's hard drive to make sure it's not running out of space". Thanks!

• Re: Server Maintenance / Best Practices
          Scott Olswold Guide

Mark,

There is no document that contains general best practices. As far as log files, though, I'd only enable logging if I run into a reproducible problem. Otherwise you're sucking up disk space and wasting CPU cycles to track a healthy system.

I would definitely recommend using a third party server monitoring tool for things like system service availability, disk space, RAM utilization and CPU cycling. I'd also recommend attaching yourself to a good database backup system and turn the one provided during our software install off.

I don't like to recommend tools for server monitoring and backup in general because that type of action usually winds up creating a litany of "no, this is better" responses, because everybody has a favorite.

• Re: Server Maintenance / Best Practices
              Mark Oliver Adventurer

Hi Scott - I've had enough difficulties with my setup that I don't feel comfortable turning off logging. My Pharos Admin service is running on its own server and there are no other applications running on that server, so I'm not worried about wasting CPU cycles. But I will say that Windows Update files keep filling up my C: drive - they are being stored in C:\Windows\winsxs folder and right now take up over 11 Gb of space on a 30Gb drive) and that definitely has me worried.