3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2013 5:11 PM by Scott Olswold

Default Color Options

Alex Schumacher Wayfarer

We've been using Pharos for a while now, and something that recently has come up is if it's possible to set the default option when printing to Black and White instead of Color for color printers. We don't have too many of them, which is why it hasn't come up earlier, but we want to implement this now, if possible. This seems to be a driver issue to me rather than a Pharos setting, so I was wondering what other people have done in this regard. We are a mixed shop, Mac and PC, using Uniprint 8.2 right now.

From what I can tell, on PC you're supposed to be able to set the option on the Pharos print server, then when you build the package installer, it will bundle those settings in so that it will be default. I haven't gotten this to work yet, however. For Mac, it seems even more complicated, as the default color settings are either a user option, or must be handled by CUPS, or in the PPD file when installed. However, the model of print device we're using doesn't have the color option in the CUPS settings, and I can only figure out how to completely disable color in the PPD file, which isn't really an option.

I also know that there's the Uniprint Global Setting, which gives an alert whenever someone prints color, but we don't want that to be a global setting, but managed by print device or print queue. Also, it doesn't change the setting to default to BW, just alerts when color is used.

Thanks for any help!

• Re: Default Color Options
          Scott Olswold Guide

Alex,

Most Windows drivers will permit the inclusion of default settings with the Pharos package. There are some rules you have to follow, though:

1. The Pharos queue's "Copy Printer Settings" option must be set to Yes.

2. You must make the driver changes at the queue's Properties > Advanced > Printing Defaults function. Anything else only sets those defaults for the current user, which won't work.

On the MacOS side, you will have to edit your base PPD file. Normally there will be a *UIConstraint or *OpenUI called ColorMode whose *Default setting is Auto or Color and must be changed to Single Color or Grayscale: the specific value to change will be identified on the line below. Unfortunately, that is the only way to do this on a Mac.

The Knowledge Base at www.pharos.com/support has great articles on managing default driver behavior, and how to (potentially) wrangle a driver that won't behave the way you want it to. It also has an article on how to include the printer files (including your modified PPD) for

the MacOS platform.

• Re: Default Color Options
              Alex Schumacher Wayfarer

Thanks for the help, Scott! I was able to modify the PPD file. For a Konica Minolta, the entry was in this section:

*OpenUI  *ColorModel/Select Color: PickOne

*OrderDependency: 10 AnySetup *ColorModel

*DefaultColorModel: Gray (it was CMYK before).

Another question, if you know, in my testing this setting worked perfectly through the OSX system dialog, but if a program uses its own print dialog (Acrobat Pro, Google Chrome, etc), it would not work. I would select Color, but it would still print BW unless I opted to use the system dialog from those programs, which is not their default. Maybe I'm asking too much, but is there a way around this other than disabling the program's custom print dialog?

Finally, if anyone's interested, I made a short script for Mac that you can use as a postinstall.sh script with the Popup installer (in the .Custom folder of the DMG). The script will detect the OS of the machine and install the correct version of the driver for that OS, then setup the printers (if, like me, there's a different driver package for each major version of the Mac OS).

#!/bin/sh

# This script lets you make a single DMG file for distributing the Popup installer on Mac, yet still customize drivers, etc for individual Mac operating systems.

# Put this script in the DMG file with the Popup.pkg installer, in a folder ".Custom" along with the supporting drivers and PPD files.

# Make sure the file is named "Postinall.sh" and that it has the +x attribute.

# get OS Version and set variables

os_ver=`sw_vers -productVersion`

os_ml="10.8"

os_lion="10.7"

os_sl="10.6"

# Install Drivers and Printer for Correct OS

if [ "${os_ver:0:4}" = "$os_ml" ]

then

#Install Driver (Could add a line to unzip it, if desired, etc)

/usr/sbin/installer -pkg /Volumes/Popup/.Custom/DRIVER_108.pkg -target /

# Install Printer

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p PRINTER_NAME -D "PRINTER DESCRIPTION" -v popup://pharos.server.domain/PRINT_QUEUE t -E -P PRINTER_108.PPD -o printer-is-shared=false

# Second Printer, etc, repeat as necessary

# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p PRINTER_NAME -D "PRINTER DESCRIPTION" -v popup://pharos.server.domain/PRINT_QUEUE t -E -P PRINTER_108.PPD -o printer-is-shared=false

elif [ "${os_ver:0:4}" = "$os_lion" ]

then

#Install Driver

# Install Printer

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p PRINTER_NAME -D "PRINTER DESCRIPTION" -v popup://pharos.server.domain/PRINT_QUEUE t -E -P PRINTER_108.PPD -o printer-is-shared=false

# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p PRINTER_NAME -D "PRINTER DESCRIPTION" -v popup://pharos.server.domain/PRINT_QUEUE t -E -P PRINTER_108.PPD -o printer-is-shared=false

elif [ "${os_ver:0:4}" = "$os_sl" ]

then

#Install Driver

# Install Printer

fi

exit 0

1 of 1 people found this helpful