5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2013 12:29 PM by Jason Pelletier

UniPrint with a RIP Server

Jason Pelletier Tracker

This has been touched on briefly by some of you and I've received a little information that was helpful but there are still cloudy thoughts. Does anyone have experience integrating UniPrint with a RIP server, specifically with the Shiraz RIP? We're looking at Shiraz since it supports Server 2008 which we require in order to put it in the data center. I understand the concepts but don't understand how to get the print job from a client to Pharos and then have Pharos move the job to the RIP once released. Any help would be appreciated.

• Re: UniPrint with a RIP Server
          Scott Olswold Guide

Jason,

The only differences between a RIP and a normal printer are the level of document control a RIP provides, a more solid (usually; there are some awful products out there) PostScript implementation, and improved color control. In the end, though, a RIP is just another printer that Uniprint can control.

Most RIPs support the LPD protocol, and this is required for Uniprint 8.3. And usually, especially those operating on a Windows platform, the shared queue name is also the LPR queue name. This makes it easy for a Uniprint administrator to set up Uniprint devices for the very specific queue types that can be generated by the RIP software. From there, it's a simple matter of setting up a Release Station to print to those devices (for a held/secure scenario) or to implement a direct-print workflow.

If your RIP software doesn't support the LPD protocol for printing, either because it can't, or it uses a special port monitor (some do), you can still integrate them in a Uniprint 8.3 environment. The following KBase document describes how:

https://pharos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1872/

If you need anything further, please don't hesitate to post here!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Scott Olswold Guide

This advice sounds way better if you imagine the voice of Peter Cullen saying the words.

Jason Pelletier Tracker

So, I want to try to get this straight. We're looking at Shiraz as it supports being run on Server 2008 R2. This is how I understand the workflow:

A job from a computer would print using a generic postscript driver to a print queue on the Pharos server, this queue would then send the job to a printer once released. That printer is actually configured to be using a printer port which exists on the RIP server (and is not a real printer). The RIP server then takes the job, does its thing and prints the job?

Assuming the above is right, I would then use the KB to setup those queues if LPD printing isn't supported by the RIP, but if it is I guess I don't understand how the job gets passed from Uniprint to the RIP server to print the job.

Thanks for any clarification.

Scott Olswold Guide

Jason,

1. Shiraz (which is a great wine, by the way) should have a driver that supports its range of features, and you should use that and not some generic PPD.
                      1. You use that driver to build your Pharos Queue object (which becomes a shared printer on the Uniprint server).
                      2. This Queue also becomes the basis for the Pharos Package for Windows clients.
                    2. You use the KB article to build that work-around printer. The work-around printer that you build here is configured to print to the Shiraz RIP using whatever port is requested/required for that solution.
                    3. Clients install the Pharos Package for the Shiraz share and print from their application.
                    4. The Pharos Secure Print Service retrieves the spool file from the Queue and:
                      1. If "Direct Print" is used, send the job immediately to the Shiraz RIP for processing.
                      2. If "Held Print" is used, waits for the job owner to release it, then sends it to the Shiraz RIP for processing.
                    5. The Shiraz RIP performs its magic and the user walks away happy.

Does that help clarify?

Scott