2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2013 12:34 PM by Bill Kasper

Popup client will not appear on Mac with multiple users...

Peter DiDomenico Wayfarer

At Quinnipiac, we have a classroom with Macs running OS Lion (10.7.5).  We recevied complaints from the faculty that some of the stations could not print.  Our Lab Coordinator investigated and tested (outside of class hours); all of the stations worked fine.  For diagnosis, this person visted the class in session.  She found that some of the stations could not print.  Instead of displaying the Popup client, a message appeared stating that the Popup was unavailable.  She found that each station that failed to print had multiple users logged in - if the Mac went to sleep during an inactive session, a login screen would appear and a subsequent user would log on without logging out the previous session.

We surmise that the earlier user session(s) took hold or ownership of the Popup process and would not either release it or allow another instance to be spawned.

Has anyone else come across this behavior?  Our immediate solution is to have the Macs automatically reboot if an inactivity timer is exceeded.  With all of the previous sessions cleared/closed, the Popup client works fine.

• Re: Popup client will not appear on Mac with multiple users...
          Jim Denk Wayfarer

I believe I saw a release not explicitly stating that the popup client didn't work in environments with fast user switching, which is essentially what you are seeing here.

I'm not sure of the exact behavior with an active session that's not currently logged in, but I would bet that the idle user's launch agent would still work to ensure that the software is running. Given that the retry setting is 10 seconds, it should check for the idle user that the software is running and launch it again if it is not. I don't know how it would handle the conflict between the two accounts.

I would think that if you want the functionality to work you'll need to unload the launch agent for the idle user, make sure the service has stopped and then load it for the new user.

Alternately, rather than relying of fast user switching, you could have a launch agent that logs the user out after a period of inactivity, rather than relying on the screensaver. It would drop users back to the login screen, and should allow for printing normally.

• Re: Popup client will not appear on Mac with multiple users...
            Bill Kasper Guide

Peter, we've encountered something similar, from OSX 10.6 onwards.  We guest access to a couple of users' computers.  When the Popup/driver package is installed on the user's partition (as admin), it works for them as it should.  However, once they set the computer back to the user switching window (staying logged in) and the guest logs in, and tries to print, the guest does not see the Popup and cannot get their print to work.  It turns out the Popup has popped-up in the admin user's partition, so the guest is stuck.

Something within user switching is failing to let go of the Popup process; restarting doesn't do it for us, it's all dependent upon where the Popup package is originally installed.