11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 11:31 AM by Nikolay Karetnikov

Inability to print in color using latest Universal Print Driver from Ricoh

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had any issues utilizing Ricoh's Universal Print Driver with BluePrint 5.0? We have the capability of utilizing the UPD to print in B&W - however, we are not able to print in Color on Color compatible Ricoh's. Looking at the UPD driver settings (both PCL6 and PS versions), I'm unable to locate any setting that would allow Color to be used automatically on compatible printers. Looking at the original driver settings for the printer, I can see where Color can be adjusted in both PCL6 / PS versions. We're running on Server 2008 R2 Standard by the way.

I can work around the Color issues with the UPD by utilizing individual drivers for each printer and securing them that way... however, that's not acceptable for this project as we want to limit the amount of queues on our print servers as much as possible. If anyone has any solutions, tips, or advice, I would be most greatful.

Here is the link to the drivers we have used so far - our Ricoh's are compatible with PCL6 and PS, but neithe driver provides Color printing for us. (http://support.ricoh.com/bb/html/dr_ut_e/rc2/model/p_i/p_ien.htm)

Thanks,

Josh

• Re: Inability to print in color using latest Universal Print Driver from Ricoh
          Jason Pelletier Tracker

I see this exact issue with Uniprint as well. Almost all of our Pharos printers are Ricohs but we can't use the universal driver on our color models because we can't select the color option. I suppose that we might be able to do something with a custom driver script but haven't had time to look into it further.

• Re: Inability to print in color using latest Universal Print Driver from Ricoh

That's what I was looking at as well. I might have to play around with Ricoh's customization utility to see if that would help us out at all. At least it's good to know that we're not the only ones experiencing issues with Ricoh's UPD and Color models. Ricoh's UPD works wonderfully with our Ricoh printers, but not having the ability to select color is what's hurting deployment currently. If the driver could be modified to automatically detect Color / B&W only models, that would be ideal.

Scott Olswold Guide

Josh,

Good morning! I thought I'd pipe in with some information about the Ricoh Universal Print Driver. I would classify it more as a Universal "Installer" than I would a "Driver".

Inside the self-extracting archive that is downloaded, are 581 items (in the PostScript download anyway). Of those files, there's the requisite .INF file for the driver install, the PostScript unidriver for Windows (your flavor may vary; mine's Windows 7 x64), and a readme. The rest are files that represent the current (and historic) Ricoh product library (installed, they acquire a .MOX extension, and can be found in %windir%\System32\Spool\Drivers\<architecture>\3; they are XML-like files that are almost PPDs). Inside the universal printer driver's PPD (RIUDM1E3.PPD), there's this cool little section:

*%========== Color Mode Begin(Color Printer Only) ==========
                  *OpenUI *ColorModel/Color Mode: PickOne
                  *OrderDependency: 100 AnySetup *ColorModel
                  *DefaultColorModel: CMYK
                  *ColorModel CMYK/Color: "(cmyk) RCsetdevicecolor"
                  *ColorModel Gray/Black and White: "(gray) RCsetdevicecolor"
                  *CloseUI: *ColorModel
                  *%========== Color Mode End(Color Printer Only) ==========

In other words, the printer that is selected in the driver's Printer Selection tab (under Properties) has a matching .MOX file. If that .MOX file has this in its contents:

<feature id="ColorModel" type="PickOne">
                                   <option opid="CMYK"/>
                                   <option opid="Gray"/>
                               </feature>

Then you'll get color. If that section is not present, you get monochrome output (by the way, this is somewhat similar to the behavior of the Hewlett-Packard universal print driver if the driver is attached to a port that cannot communicate with a physical printer).

In the famous words (of the not so famous) Erich Fried: "Es ist was es ist."

In general, while the assumed promise of the Universal Print Driver is its "universal"-ness, they all still depend on connectivity to some target printer to determine what type of device it needs to support. When used outside of that context (for example, to support a single queue for the myriad devices participating in Pharos Secure Release Here), there are manufacturer-specific puts and takes to the equation.

I take a somewhat jaded approach to this. In my mind, the benefit of the Universal Print Driver (from whomever) is simplified server and desktop administration. For those still using the classic print server-based model, a universal driver means that I only have to install one driver to create multiple device queues. For those transitioning to a serverless model, a universal driver allows a user to quickly pick and define the printer closest to him or her without getting too intimate about what's installed on the printer, and what its capabilities are.

That is why print management companies like Pharos are rapidly moving to a device-independent workflow/model: end-user experience. Keep watching this space: our first release of Mobile Print takes us to virtually the "last mile effort" of an easier way to print.

Have a great day!

Scott Olswold

NOTE: All opinions expressed herein are mine, and may not necessarily reflect those of Pharos Systems International, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful