7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2013 11:21 AM by mbull

Trying to find the 'best' universal driver

Dean Hayes Wayfarer

My predecessor tried to make his life easier by creating two queues for each campus building that used Pharos printing services - one queue for monochrome printers and one for color printers. My training time with him prior to his leaving for another position was limited, at best, so most of this I've had to learn on my own, with good support from our vendor. However, I'm finding that limiting to only two queues is not working in all instances, especially in areas that have purchased various brands of printers, in my case HP and Canon. The current monochrome queue in one building uses the HP Universal PCL5 driver for all the monochrome printers - some HP and some Canon. Issues have developed now where all functions of the printer(s) are not working properly, e.g., no duplexing, improper charging, etc. My initial questions, then, include:

• Has anyone found a reliable way to combine universal drivers from two different companies into one package and make it work for both printer brands, and to be able to have all printer functions work properly?
      • If so, what drivers have you found work best?
      • How did you make the package?
        • Re: Trying to find the 'best' universal driver
          Wayfarer

Hi Dean,

I completely understand your pain! While I am not an expert..unfortunitly through my experience none of the universal drivers out there are truely universal in a sense that they support an industry standard protocol (PCL, PS 1,2,3. so on) and all of the various manufacture printer options. This being the case however there are several options open to you.

1. You can create a single depoyable package using the Pharos Package creation utility. However inside that package you would need to have another queue and subsequently another queue would appear on the users desktop.

2. Universal... is there such a thing?. Well actually you could you something like a ghostscript driver or PS adobe driver which conforms to the industry standards and will always produce standard off the shelf Postscript. The drawback is that it won't support all of the printer output options.

3. You stick with distinct drivers for each device and use one package to create manufacture based queues. e.g.

Canon - Black & White Queue

HP - Black & White Queue

Toshiba - Black & White Queue

Then you direct the traffic in Pharos Uniprint to the appropriate printer manufacture machines. Most students should be able to determine what they want to print to the manufactures device close. This way they will get the output they expect.

Dean, my two cents worth.

Best regards

Matt Bull

Dean Hayes Wayfarer

Matt,

Thanks for the input. Yes, I agree, 'Universal' and 'generic' don't really mean much in the printer business when push comes to shove.

#1.  I thought about doing that but was not sure I could include 2 different queues in one package. Apparently that IS a workable option?

#2.  Ya, they want all the printer output options to be available.

#3.  And they want to avoid this if at all possible, thinking it will 'confuse the patrons.' YIKES! These are college students...

This one seems like a lot to do...essentially one queue per package per specific printer model, if I understand you correctly.

Thanks again.............Dean

Wayfarer

Dean,

#1.  I thought about doing that but was not sure I could include 2 different queues in one package. Apparently that IS a workable option?

>> Absolutly possible. You can select multiple queues in a single package. You can either create a new package and during the process it will ask you which queues you want to include OR you can open the existing package and add queues to it. You can do this in the Pharos Administrator - Packages - Package Definitions

#3 - ha ha i couldn't agree more! However since you can include more than one queue in the package and if you label them correctly "Canon B&W Queue" you might find its logical enough that it works.

Faling all of that the only other option is to standardize on the fleet manufacture. Which has a couple of other benifits..

- reduced IT load, common drivers, simpified support and maintenance..

I think the mixed fleet is good but perhaps manage only 1 or 2 manufacture types.

Peace!

Madbull

Dean Hayes Wayfarer

Matt,

One more issue to overcome.........my PC is 64-bit, my Pharos server is 64-bit, the devices running the package I need to work are 32-bit. So I go to install a new driver for the particular printer for a new queue so I can repackage and I get a message that I don't have a compatible software driver for my device. I downloaded a 32-bix Canon ir3235 PCL5 driver (for this particular printer causing issues) but apparently I can't use it because it's not 64-bit! I'm then presuming a 64-bit driver won't work properly with 32-bit Win XP. Curses! Foiled again!

Wayfarer

Dean, All is not lost, you would need to install both 64 and 32 bit drivers on the server and then you need to rebuild the package. To do this open windows printers and faxes, right click anywhere and click on server properties. On the drivers tab add the 64 and 32 bit drivers you downloaded from the web. Finally open the Pharos Administrator and rebuild the package. You will see that when you download it now from the web page that it will auto detect the OS and install. God speed! Mad bull

Dean Hayes Wayfarer

Matt,

Trying all that. Downloaded three different 32-bit and three different 64-bit drivers, trying to find the most compatible. Not much luck trying to install any of the drivers on the server. Trying to install 32-bit PCL6_6.85 driver results in error: "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windoew for x64-based systems."

Well I KNOW that, but how am I supposed to build a package that includes 32-bit drivers if the system will not let me install them.

TIS for any help you can offer.

Wayfarer

Hi Dean,

Sorry for the delay. I probably can help. Perhaps the best way to do this would be to remote into your server using something like GTM.

I don't believe it would be more than 10 minutes work to sort this out if that suits.

Technical Support at Pharos should be able to assist with this. I will forward this across to them.

Best Matt