13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2013 12:41 PM by Michael Ward

Creating a 64 Bit driver on 2003 Server

Brad Stettler Newbie

I've read Article ID:1522 which I post below.  I need a little more info though.  I'm getting an error when I try to install a 64 Bit driver on the 32 but 2003 OS, as I would expect.  How do you get past the error stating that the driver was not designed for a 32 bit system?

Installing 64 bit print drivers on a 32 bitserver

Published 07/31/2009 10:38 AM   |    Updated 04/06/2011 01:38 PM
      Article ID:1522

Pharos Client Installation Packages created on a 32-bit server OS can be created to include both 32 and 64 bit drivers. In order to do this you will first need to install the64-bit driver onto the 32-bit operating system.

Once the drivers are installed Pharos can make use of both 32 and 64-bit drivers when creating client  installation packages.

Provided your server runs at least Windows 2003 Server with Service Pack 2, installing64-bit printers is a simple process.

Run the "Add Printer" wizard, and install a printer with the 64-bit driver. Once installed you can delete this printer object, the driver will remain on the server.

Next, select the Spool/Held Queue object that you want to have 32/64-bit support, right click on the object and select properties. Once properties is open, select the "Sharing" tab and the "Additional Drivers" button. If the 64-bit driver installed is the correct version you'll be able to add it to the list (check it).

Repeat the process with the Printer Queue object.

Build or re-build the Pharos Installation Package normally and both 32/64-bit options will be available.

• Re: Creating a 64 Bit driver on 2003 Server
          Scott Olswold Guide

Brad,

Our apologies for the confusion. In truth, you will not be able to do the first part (Add Printer), because you will get an architecture error. You need only perform the procedure from the "Select spool/held queue" step.

Please also be aware that a limitation of this feature in Windows is that your 32-bit and 62-bit driver name must match exactly. In other words, if the 32-bit driver's name is "HP LaserJet 4050dn PCL 6" then the 64-bit driver's name must be the same. If there is any mismatch, you will be unable to perform the procedure.

Some users also report that they are prompted for ntprint.inf during the process. This tends to be a driver-based deficiency and not one related to either the Windows operating system or Pharos software. If that happens, you will have to find a 64-bit client (Windows 7 over Vista, by experience) that is logged in with an account that also has administrative access to the print server. From there, connect to the server via UNC (Start > Run > \\servername) and open the Printers and Faxes folder that is displayed. Go into Properties for the desired device and then engage the Additional Drivers procedure. Note that you should have the 64-bit driver downloaded and uncompressed to the 64-bit client so that you can browse to the .INF file locally.

I hope that this helps,

Scott

The only way this would work for us was to install a Printer Server and inject the drivers via the console. Are you doing it through there or actually trying to do it under the servers local printer properties?

Yadin Flammer Navigator

This should not be an issue, but the instructions in the article are misleading.  You have to add the additional drivers to the print server through MMC, NOT by running an installer, or just adding drivers to a defined printer.  I don't have a 2003 server anymore, but it should be about the same as in 2008:

Open Server Manager, expand Roles, Print Services, Print Management, Print Servers, server name, Drivers

Click on Actions -> Add Driver

Using this method it does not check for compatibility of the driver because it's designed to add drivers for client use, not local machine use.  You do as noted need to make sure the driver name is identical so the system knows it has 32 and 64 bit versions of the same driver and uses them properly.

Hope that helps!

One key that I notice is that when you do the above steps both 64bit and 32bit drivers need to be the exact same verstion.  Otherwise the server will only use one driver at a time, the 32bit driver or the 64bit driver.

For example this won't be very stable:

Kyocera 5.240.134 32bit

Kyocera 5.241.234 64bit

How it affects work stations:

PCWindoes7 32bit will print fine

PCwindows7 64bit will get an error that they don't have the correct driver and they can't map to the printer

Or vice versa

But this will be stable:

Kyocera 5.240.134 32bit

Kyocera 5.240.134 64bit

How it affects work stations:

PCWindows 7 32bit and PCwidnows 7 64bit can both print at the same time without any problems.

Michael Ward Wayfarer

Actually it is slightly different in Windows 2003 server.

To install the x64 driver, open up the Printers and Faxes control panel item then select File -> Server Properties. Select the Drivers tab. Click Add to initiate the Add Printer Driver Wizard, which will then let you specify the x64 driver to add.

Alternatively, if you have the Print Management console installed (part of the 2003 R2 feature pack), run this and right-click on the Drivers section for your print server and select Add Driver.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Katherine Baynton Ranger

Brad, in summary of the above advice, there are a couple of potential pitfalls that can be avoided.  Here are the main steps for installing x64 drivers on x86 servers, and vice versa (specific to Server 2003):

• Obtain a matching set of 32-bit and 64-bit drivers (same version number).  Unpack both types into folders on the local server machine.
                    • First install the 32-bit version of the desired driver.  Then:
                    • In the Windows Printers and Faxes dialog, select File > Server Properties.
                    • On the Drivers tab, select Add.
                    • In the Wizard, untick x86, then tick x64 ( Note:  this is important - otherwise an error will result)
                    • Use 'Have Disk' and Browse to the x64 version of the driver and install.

The Drivers tab in Windows should now report both a 32-bit and 64-bit version of the driver installed.  Packages created with a Queue using this driver type will have both 32 and 64 bit drivers included.

As mentioned in a previous post, the versions need to be the same.  In some instances (generally older drivers) the x64 driver's .inf file may contain a space in the name of the driver (inside the file) to differentiate a 64-bit version from a 32-bit version.  If this is the case, Windows won't consider them to be matching drivers - the .inf file would need to be edited to ensure they match.  This should not be necessary on most drivers.

Hope this helps.

Katherine

Scott Olswold Guide

All,

The Pharos KB article #1522 has been significantly overhauled to accommodate accuracy in the process and, for those visual learners out there, a small video now accompanies the article.

Understanding that there are a myriad number of ways to accomplish the same thing in an operating system, we have pared down the options to the most simplest of procedures. I post the rebirth of KB #1522 here for this community's review and feedback. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions previously.

http://pharos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1522

Have a fantastic day!

Brad Stettler Newbie

Thanks for all of the input everyone.  I can say that this discussion has been an excellent training in the general procedure required to achieve support for both 32 and 64 bit drivers on the print server.  The mentioned techniuqes worked great on a Dell 2330DN printer.  In this case the drivers were of the same version and played nicely.  I can't say the same for our HP2800.  After looking at a lot of discussions regarding the support of this printer in a 64 bit environment I'm guessing the issue is the mismatch in driver versions.  When I try to install the 64bit on the server using any of the listed methods I get the prompt for the NTPRINT.INF and no matter what I point to I can't get by it.  So, if anyone has any experience installing 64 bit drivers for the HP2800 on a  32 bit server OS that would be great.

Charles Robinson Newbie

I'm running a 32bit win 2008 server (I know 64 bit server has been ordered and is on its way but I'd like to get things working now for Win7 clients) has the process been documented? Is it similar to the 2003 32 bit server instructions or am I out of luck on 2k8?