6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2013 5:55 PM by brad

In a single job, can color and b&w pages be charged separately?

Ex:  (1) 10-page job has 9 b&w pages and 1 color page.  Color printer driver going to color printer, but for this one proof set, I want b&w printing.  Shouldn't the cost of the proof be 10 pages billed using the b&w rate?

• Re: In a single job, can color and b&w pages be charged separately?
          Veronica Thompson Newbie

I have not been able to make this work on a color printer, even if I have two icons the pricing scheme still didn't work. I toyed with this for over a week in a client's lab space, until finally they just decided to impose the color printing prices across the board.

Richard Post Guide

There are two components to look at.  The first is the charging on the print queues.  Some sites set a single price on a queue regardless of the output.  Others set attribute based pricing.  When doing this, if the print driver provides page level details, Pharos can charge different prices for each page of the document.   If the conversation here does not clarify and resolve your inquiry, I would recommend a support ticket so that you can dialog with our support team.  They can give information and guidance on setting up your system, especially if it is not behaving as one would expect.

brad Pioneer

I know this one is slightly old, and what Richard has said is obviously correct... but I've just finished doing a little testing on this, having recently implemented our first colour-capable printer into one of our libraries, and thought I would impart the little info I got out of it.

We have our printing configured in the attribute-based format, with costings being double the price of a single-sided copy for duplexing, and different values for colour and B&W (see below iage for an example of what it looks like in our environment). What I found was that:

• Sending multiple pages (be they colour and/or B&W) to a B&W printer charges all at the B&W costs.
              • Sending multiple pages, in a mix of colour and B&W, to a colour printer, single-sided, the pages are charged separately (ie. the lower price for each B&W page and higher price for each clour page)
              • Sending the same mix of colour and B&W pages, in duplex, gives a slightly different result - any sheet of paper with colour on it, be it one side or the other, is charged 2 pages of colour pricing.PharosPrintCharges.jpg
                  Richard Post Guide

Please check the registry setting for the Page Counter.  It appears as the registry key may be set to detect print jobs based on sheets instead of pages

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Pharos\Page Counter

Page Stats

This value determines whether page-level or sheet-level job details are returned. If set to 1, the page counter uses page-level job details. If this value is set to 2, the page counter will return sheet-level job details.

Make sure this DWORD value is set to 1 to get page level details.  Let us know if this resolves your inquiry.