AnsweredAssumed Answered

Pharos Station connection refused when run from Win 7 Startup folder

Question asked by stan@gpc.edu on Apr 18, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 by Jim Gilliver

Response to the below mentioned post.

I've seen this same issue in our environment. For some reason in Windows 7, the applications in the startup folder will run before the release station connects to the network; hence the "connection refused". When you manually launch the shortcut it works fine because you already have network connectivity at that point. To solve this issue we wrote a script and placed in the startup folder, with a timeout / sleep and then it (script) ran the Pharos executable. This solved our auto / startup launch issue.

'Delay startup of Pharos Release Station

Set oShell =WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WScript.Sleep(40000)

oShell.Run """C:\Program Files\Pharos\Bin\Pstation.exe""",1

'End of script

**************************************************************************************************

While working on our new Pharos 8.1 Uniprint setup I ran into a rather odd issue with our release station(s)  The Pharos Station installed fine and connected to the server with no problems.  Was able to logon and release jobs fine throughout testing.  Then as one of the final steps I copied the shortcut to the Pharos Station executable into the Startup folder in the  Windows 7 (32-bit) start menu so the program would start automatically on reboot and startup and I found I couldn't connect.  The Pharos screen is there but the message "Connection Refused" is in the field where the station description usually is.  If I close out the instance of Pharos station and start it with the same shortcut but with a mouse click it runs fine, but rebooting the machine yield the connection refused messageevery time.

I don't see anyone else having a similar problem and wonder if anyone had a suggestion.

Paul Galvanek - Systems Programmer

HSLS - Falk Library

Universityof Pittsburgh

Outcomes