4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 9:37 AM by bdmorgan

Mac Popup client won't work with Epson Inkjet Pro

Charles Myers Wayfarer

Has anyone used Epson Stylus Pro 4000, 4800 or 4900 inkjet printers with Pharos popup?

I have installed the Popup 8.1 and installed the correct software drivers and configured the Pharos print queues that were created by our IT department.

When I use the Print command from any application, the Popup pops up immediately, before I even have a chance to change the print settings, set the tray settings, paper type etc.

Apparently it is some bi-directional communication issue, where the Epson driver is sending a Supplies Levels command to the printer when I open the Print dialog. Then, when clicking the actual Print button, the Popup comes up again. Users would be confused with that.

Pharos support recommends disabling bi-directional communication, but that is not an option I can get to in System Preferences; Printer Setup cannot execute because Pharos queue is interfering.

I tried Epson support but have not had a response yet, and I doubt they support Pharos printing queues.

So just thought I'd ask for some suggestions before I see if Pharos will refund our fees.

• Re: Mac Popup client won't work with Epson Inkjet Pro
          David Marcinkowski Scout

Hello,

Yes , we use a variety of Epson printers in our facility ... including 4000's, 4800's, 4880's, 7800's, 7880, 3880's, 9880's and 11880's ..... but I have never seen this issue.  I suspect this is because we use  a RIP for all our Epson printers.  Since our Pharos server is a Windows based machine and our clients are both Mac and Windows, the Mac clients demand a RIP to avoid errors - the Epson jobs need to be converted to postscript via the RIP.   We use Onyx Production House as our RIP of choice for a variety of reasons.  It works well with Pharos, but unfortunately the users do not get access to the Epson native drivers on the client side.

Hope this helps

David Marcinkowski
          Associate Director of Computing Services
          Manhattan
          Campus
          Pratt Institute

Gene Mayro Tracker

We've never been able to get our Macs to print to our Epson 4800s and 4880s for exactly the reason David Marcinkowski explains - it needs a RIP. We've tried popup and without popup. The problem is the Epson-Mac driver wants to talk directly to the printer, not to a server.

Charles Myers Wayfarer

The photo lab uses photoshop so the photo students can learn the ins and outs of fine art printing, and a RIP would be rather expensive for what it does, when photoshop can do what is needed to set the color management etc. They have been using photoshop and IP printing so that is still an option, we'll just raise the lab fees a little bit to cover the costs. Direct IP printing from the Macs to the Epsons works great, but it is less than ideal in an open lab environment to control the costs. Students (university level art students) do pay a fee, but collecting it sometimes is a hassle also.

Thanks for the insights and your experiences though.

Wayfarer

Hi,

I came accross a similar issue, but with Lexmark drivers.  To resolve it, I had to edit the postscript driver and then re-deploy the modified ppd file/printer config to our Macs.  In the case of the Lexmark driver, I found the ppd file of the printer in question in /etc/cups/ppd - the line in question for the Lexmark drivers was; *cupsCommands: "ReportLevels"

I just commented out this line so it became: *%cupsCommands: "ReportLevels" and I no longer got the popup each time I changed between printers or tried to change print settings. Once I resolved this on one Mac, I used Casper to capture the printer configuration and deploy to the remaining Macs.

Hope this may help.