7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2013 10:25 AM by kor.kiley@uvm.edu

Add Printer Settings To Installer Package

Timothy Grzeczka Pioneer

I'm trying to find a way to set a few things on a Release Queue installer I have to as small fleet of Canon iR3245s. I want to check that there is the 3rd and 4th tray and set duplex as the default.

In the past, I've used the "printui.dll" option in the knowledge base, but it seems to not be working quite right with some machine and it doesn't work at all on students' personal equipment (you can't call a rundll32 to modify a 64 bit driver).

I read about exporting the registry key in Windows and tried that, but the settings for the Canon driver don't seem to be stored in the registry.

Does anyone do something similar? We've already advertised duplex and I'm almost to the point where we'll have to go around to our labs and set the duplex default manually and create documentation for the students so they can make the change themselves.

• Re: Add Printer Settings To Installer Package
          Gerald Rezes Tracker

Timothy,

What version of Pharos Uniprint are you using?  We are using Uniprint 8.2 and Pharos added a feature called "Copy Printer Settings" that accomplishes this task.

In Pharos Admin, Output Management, Queues, we click on the queue to change and expand the "Packages" section.  This is were the Copy Printer Settings option is located.  On the print server, I configure the associated Pharos printer to include the paper trays, duplexing, etc.  Lastly, I rebuilt the package.  This works both for 32- and 64-bit drivers.

-Gerald Rezes, Library Systems Administrator
          Loma Linda University

Scott Copus Adventurer

I haven't personally tried it, but rundll32.exe on Win64 should actually be the 64-bit version of RUNDLL.  And on my 64-bit Win7 desktop, my PrintUI.DLL looks to be 64-bit as well.  So you should still be able to use that functionality to add/update printer drivers/settings... although I haven't personally tried it.

A lot of files on Win64 are named such things like KERNEL32.DLL, ODBC32.DLL, etc, but should actually be the 64-bit versions.  You can actually download Dependency Walker and check the "bitness" of DLLs/EXEs.  The 32-bit files actually exist in the WINDOWS\SYSWOW64.  See the link below for more info.

http://blogs.msdn.com/junfeng/archive/2005/10/05/477247.aspx

-Scott

Timothy Grzeczka Pioneer

Thanks for the replies Gerald and Scott.

Gerald Rezes you were right on the money. I had been trying to figure out why the tray settings were working when my script wasn't....because I had already set that in the queue. Just modified my queues and rebuilt and duplex is set right away. THANKS.

Scott, I'm going to play around with the 32 vs 64 bit like you suggested in case I need the script in the future.

Thanks again!

I have a mixed environment, mostly Macs, and must rely on PS3 drivers whenever possible and build my own MacOS installers Cry. When using Postscript drivers, one can edit the PPDs to change default configurable items and settings. I've been able to reduce the paper choices, enable duplex, select default roll on wide format printers, and eliminate a lot of user errors this way (no more "please load X" errors.) I find this more approach to be more useful than the built-in feature because I can completely eliminate paper choices and create a pre fab set of custom sizes for wide format. When I want to deliver these modified PPDs to Windows workstations via the Pharos Package system, I have to modify the files in the OEM installers and install the drivers on the server so it can pass them on to the packages.

Canon compresses ppd files now. They have a suffix of pp_ . Use the expand utility to decompress them. Use compact to re-compress after you've edited them.

Stevens Brosnihan, Systems Administrator

The School of the Art Institute of Chicago

This may be more of a newbie question but what are the benefits of the pharos package installer over what windows already has setup?

Currently we are using a group policy to map the printers to the computers, each user that logs in gets the printer. This works for computers on the domain.  We found that we can send an email link of the printer path in outlook for those who are not are not part of the domain and it will map their printer asking for asking for the credentials.

And then setting your defaults are on the advanced tap of the queue.  Any time you want to change printer defaults just change it in that tab and it usually only takes an only few minutes for that setting to be pushed out from the server to the client computers.

This is built upon services that were already being used, and keeps the number of services we have to manage to a min.  Is there any advantage over this that would make this process easier if we used pharos package installers?

Timothy Grzeczka Pioneer

We use a combination of AD queues and Pharos packages currently.

Pharos packages are used for public labs, classrooms, and our library. We have the proper printers pre-installed in our images using Pharos packages so they are ready to print after the image process is complete. Also, the packages let us have a link students can download so they can print from their personal equipment. The installer (for PC) is very easy; for Mac it's a bit more complicated and a manual process. Also, we get the obvious advantages of Uniprint (cost acceptance, etc).

We use AD queues for faculty and staff only printers. In the future, we hope to go to Pharos across campus.