9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2013 10:07 AM by Bill Kasper

MAC OSX Pop Ups not working

I've installed the Pop Up client for MAC OSX, configured the nprint queue as per the instructions, but my pop up doesn't work.The firewall is turned off, the print queue and pop ups work in the Windows environent and I don't get a print error on the MAC, the job leaves the local queue. I'm at 8.2, the MAC is 10.6.8

• Re: MAC OSX Pop Ups not working

I've had the same issue, but it prints after about 5 minutes.  I've found that on most mac laptops, they prefer wireless to wired and therefore attempt wireless printing which must be sporatic and cause the popup client to time out.  When I plug it in wired and turn off the wireless it seems to print without issue.

Roy,

When you submit the job do you get prompted to name the job? If not, the popup client configuration is the issue, as it cannot communicate with the pharos server.

These Macintoshes are joined to the Windows Domain and therefore the process is a little different than when you print to a held printing environment.  (if I'm correct in interpreting your response).  In a "Held" printing setup, yes, you would have to name the job and enter your username and password to send a print job.  In a windows domain environment, (and in a direct printing setup) the laptop "should" pass the credentials to the Domain Servers automatically send the print job to the printer (if the user /computer is a member of the domain).

We also use domain joined Macs, however we do require that folks "name" their print jobs when submitting. otherwise they are not manageable in terms of releasing them either via pharos remote or the pharos print release stations. We do not require authentication, that is outside the scope (I believe) of what we are discussing. 

There are, of course other ways to verify that the pharos popup is communicating with the server(s) this is just the simplist way I have found.

Scott Olswold Guide

You can also use Console in the MacOS to see if the MacOS Popup is working, or why it is failing. In Console, look for the CUPS section and review that log; there will be a set of logged lines for each print job sent.

Bill Kasper Guide

did you build your own package to install the printer with the popup?  we've run into a situation where we correctly configure the configuration.plist and the com.pharos.popup.plist, build the install package correctly (with the correct ricoh drivers), and run the package which correctly installs the printers.

however, when we print to the printer, we get the same thing:  local print streams to local printer, but no popup window.

we've found that running the package a second time takes care of it, and we get the popup.  one of our IT guys suggested a restart after installation; he said there must be some sort of hook that's not setting at the system level just running the package once.

Scott Olswold i'm glad to know i can look in the logs.  i'll run there next.

oh, and we're using uniprint suite 8.2, ricoh imfp 1.3.2, and mac osx 10.6.8.

bill

Bill Kasper Guide

just looked at the logs, and many of the popup failures are showing in the diagnostic reporter; cups shows the fail, but only that, not apparently why.

i'll talk with my pharos engineer...

bill

Scott Olswold Guide

Bill and others,

I've never been able to duplicate that problem (install once, no go; install again, a-ok) on any Mac I have access to in our labs, but I have seen it at other schools. What happens is that the popup.app isn't launching during the initial install. I've never been able to track it down, but it happens more frequently on 10.5.x than on 10.6 (only a few have Lion). Oddly enough, if I enable the Firewall application to request authorization for TCP ports, it never fails, which leads me to believe that the Firewall in MacOS has something to do with it.

Normally, a restart after the first install clears things up. But definitely, popup.app must be running in order for the job to print through successfully.

Scott