7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2019 2:42 PM by Scott Olswold

Access was denied (solved)

Nikolay Karetnikov Navigator

Hello!

Please consider the follwing scenario

Windows 2012 + Pharos Blueprint 5.2 installed as the local administrator. Afterwards a Print Queue is created. Then, as soon as I run Blueprint Secure Queue Configuration (again as the local admin) and try to Secure the Print Queue, the following message appears

\

What could prevent BSQC from being able to secure a print queue while running under local administrator account?

ps.

The problem was solved by choosing an original device driver for the queue rather than using standart Windows Class driver

• Re: Access was denied (solved)
          tcampbell@pharos.com Navigator

Hello Nikolay,

The access denied error will occur when attempting to secure a print queue who's driver is a v4 driver.  v4 drivers do not support the use of 3rd party port monitors and are therefore incompatible with the Blueprint Enterprise environment.  The standard Windows class driver within Windows 2012 is a v4 driver, which explains why you experienced the permissions error.  Most commercially available manufacture provided print drivers are v3 drivers, which do support 3rd party port monitors and can be successfully secured within Blueprint.

Best regards,

Tim.

Nikolay Karetnikov Navigator

Thank you for the reply, Tim!

Scott Copus Adventurer

Hi Tim,

Since this question is over two years old, I thought I would re-ask this question.  Are v4 print drivers still incompatible with Blueprint?

thanks,
                Scott

Jeff Geller Guide

Hi Scott,

Yes, this is due to a change that Microsoft made and is outside of any controls within our application or other 3rd party software vendors for that matter. Microsoft's Type 4 (v4 or Class) drivers do not support the use of 3rd party port monitors and are therefore incompatible with the Blueprint Enterprise environment.

Thanks,

Jeff

Scott Olswold Guide

Scott,

Correct; a v4 driver on the server as a secured queue is not possible due to Microsoft's design model to not allow third party port monitors. There is a way to use v4 drivers on the client-side, and depending on your deployment model, can be pushed and managed separately.

-Scott

Scott Copus Adventurer

Jeff, Scott, thanks for quick followup!

On a related note, does BPE have anything built into it that helps migrate any class 4 printer drivers down to class 3 during deployment?  We actually don't have BPE in our environment... just asking in the case we ever do use it in the future....

The reason I'm asking is that I've just recently been experimenting with several different printer drivers, such as the PCL/PS universal ones from Ricoh that are versioned versus non-versioned, v3 vs. v4 ones, etc.  I'm making notes for myself for different deployment scenarios... such as which driver settings are maintained versus lost when upgrading or switching to different kinds of drivers on clients and servers, what happens with printer deployment AD GPOs are thrown in the mix, etc.  It's interesting but I can see it can come with all kinds of hurdles.  Becoming a printer driver developer will probably never be at the top of my dev goals... especially with the challenges of 3D printing nowadays. 

thanks,

Scott

Scott Olswold Guide

Scott,

The same limitation exists within Uniprint, as it and Blueprint share the same component, the Pharos Secure Release Service, to manage secured queues.

As far as transitioning...that is a rabidly manual effort, whether you involve the Devices and Printers control panel or the Print Management MMC snap-in. From my exposure and experience, the "driver name" that defines whether a printer driver is available or not is different between the Type 3 driver and the newer v4...so stomping on one versus the other is likely not a concern. If a manufacturer is providing Type 3 and v4 drivers with the same driver name, that is a recipe for disaster. From a feature set perspective, you don't gain a whole lot moving to v4.

-Scott