AnsweredAssumed Answered

Xerox Color problem w/Windows 10 (XPS Error)

Question asked by Steve Lasich on Aug 1, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 10, 2017 by Steve Lasich

Have you seen this message?  If so, what did you do about it?

"The job was not printed because the XPS option is not enabled. Contact System Administrator to enable XPS on this device"

We recently received a new XEROX® WorkCentre® 7835 to serve as an output device for Uniprint 8.4.  We have a large installed base of computers using a Windows class driver that worked correctly with the previous XEROX® WorkCentre®.   If those computers have Windows 10, print jobs from those computers now fail with the above error message.  Windows 7 and 8 computers are still working correctly.

Xerox support web pages say to ditch the class drivers and use a Global driver.  When we use Global drivers on Windows 10 (PCL or PS), the output from Uniprint prints in grayscale.  Pharos charges the user for a color page but no color toner hits the page.

Question: Is there a known solution for this?  Additional data: Using the Global driver on the server to make test pages produces test pages in color.  Using the Global driver on the client (and granting access through the Xerox firewall) test pages from the client come out in color, but only when sent directly to the device, skipping Uniprint and printing for free. 

I contacted our Xerox rep asking for XPS to be enabled and his response was, "You don't need that.  We have fixed that at every site so far without enabling XPS."  But he had never heard of Uniprint.  I told him it's only a problem when we use our print server. I am waiting for him to get back to me.  I thought I'd ask you all while I wait.  Thanks for reading this.

Steve Lasich, slasich@nmu.edu

Outcomes