Pharos Print Center for Uniprint

Version 37

Basic Information

What is the Pharos Print Center?

The Pharos Print Center provides a convenient way to release documents. It's a web portal that enables you to release documents sent via Pharos Popups or standard Pharos Queues to any Pharos Uniprint-controlled printer. With  Pharos Print Center (Standard), you can:

If your system is running the Pharos Credit Card Gateway, you can add funds to your Pharos account via credit card, debit card, or PayPal account.If your system is integrated with Pharos MobilePrint 2.1, you can also:

Mobile-friendly web pages

Print Center has been redesigned to be more mobile-friendly. It has been optimized to work on smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices with different screen sizes. You can now easily use the Print Center on a mobile device with minimum amount of re-sizing, panning, and scrolling.

From your mobile device, you can now:

Note: The guest accounts feature is not supported on Pharos iOS and Pharos Anroid apps.

How do I submit jobs to Print Center?

You can submit documents via Pharos Queues or via the Popup Client as usual. If your site has a MobilePrint license, you can also upload documents or submit your documents via email (to the print email address that has been set up by your university).

How do I view my print jobs?

When you first log in to the Pharos Print Center, the first screen that you see is the Job List screen, which shows a list of documents that you have submitted for printing.

ColumnDescription
    TypeShows the format of the document you have submitted. For example, Text, Word, Excel, etc.
    Title Shows the document name. This is usually the document name from the application that created the job.
    PagesThe number of pages. It shows N/A for custom charge jobs.
    Pieces of PaperThe number of pieces of paper on which the document will be printed. It shows N/A for custom charge jobs.
    Submitted Date
    Shows when you submitted the document.
    CostSpecifies how much you will be charged for printing the job(s) or it shows the cost of the custom charge job.
    Print Preview (available only when MobilePrint is installed)

Hover over the Print Preview icon to view job attributes (e.g. black & white, double-sided, number of pages per side, number of copies). Double-click the Print Preview icon to see a preview of the document before printing. Non-MobilePrint jobs (i.e. those sent via Pharos Queues or Popups) and custom charge jobs will show N/A.

How do I search for a printer?

If your printer is not on the Printer list, you can search for it by typing any of the following printer information: Device Name, Description, Manufacturer, or Model.

SelectPrinter.png

When searching printers:

• The first time you select or use a printer, Pharos Print Center will tag the printer as recently used. The next time you select a printer, you will see only the last selected printer.
    • If you want to select other printers (i.e. those that have not been tagged as recently used), you can search for them by typing the printer information in the text box.

How do I print password protected jobs?

Password-protected jobs are displayed with a 'lock' icon. By default, if you submitted a password-protected job, you must enter the password before the job can be released. If you submitted multiple jobs with the same password, you will be prompted to enter the password for each job before printing.

1. Select the password-protected job that you want to release.
    2. Select the payment method.
    3. Select a printer and then click Print.
    4. On the Confirm payment and print dialog box, click Confirm.
    5. Enter your password to release the job(s).
    6. Click OK.

Note: Your Uniprint system can be set up to remove Popup password for print jobs after authentication, so that you can release your print jobs without requiring a password. Ask your Uniprint administrator for more information.

How do I release my documents using the Pharos Print Center?

1. Select the print job(s) you want to print by checking the box next to the job type.
    2. Select or search for a printer to send your print job to by clicking on the area next to the Print button.
    3. Click Print to send the selected job(s). A dialog box confirming payment appears.
    4. Click Confirm to release your print job.

ReleaseJob.png

How do I delete print jobs?

From the Job list tab, select the print job you want to delete by checking on the box next to the job you want to delete. Click the  Delete button.

DeleteJob.png

How do I check my available balance?

Your available balance is displayed on the lower left-hand side of the Pharos Print Center, as highlighted below. My Funds is the total balance of all the three purses - Technology Grant, Tuition Fees, and User Pays.

CheckFunds.png

How do I choose a payment method?

When printing your jobs from the Pharos Print Center, you can select where you charge your print jobs to. You can select from the following options:

• My Funds – This is the default payment method. Printing costs will be charged to your personal funds (i.e. internal Pharos account).
    • Cost Center (if present) – Printing costs will be charged against a Cost Center rather than from your individual user account. This option is available only if you have a Cost Center.

How do I charge my print jobs to a Cost Center?

1. Select the print job(s) that you want to print.
    2. Click the text “Start typing to search for a cost center” (highlighted below) and then enter the name of your cost center. A list of recently selected Cost Centers is displayed when you click the Cost Center option.

CostCenter.png

How do I pay for my custom charge job?

To pay for your custom chage jobs via the Print Center, simply select the custom charge job that you wish to pay for. Click the Pay button and then click Confirm when the Confirm payment dialog box opens.

How do I view my activity history?

Click the Activity tab to view your transaction history. This tab shows the following information about your Print Center Transactions:

Job informationDescription
    Activity DateThe date when the activity occurred.
    Activity TimeThe time when the activity occurred.
    Activity Type

The type of activity performed. This could be any of the following:

• Computer – You have reserved and used a computer.
    • Copy – Your account has been debited for using a copier.
    • Credit – Funds have been deposited to your Pharos internal account.
    • Custom – A custom transaction (e.g. one sent from third-party software to Pharos) has been recorded.
    • Deleted Print – The job was deleted before it was printed. This includes jobs that you have deleted and jobs that have been purged by the system.
    • Fax –Your account has been debited for a fax transaction.
    • Online Payment Add Funds – Funds have been deposited from your credit card or other payment accounts (e.g. PayPal) to your Pharos internal account.
    • Print – This records your print activity and your account has been debited for sending a print job to a printer.
    • Scan – The user has been debited for a scanning transaction.
    • Transfer Funds – Money has been transferred into the user's internal account at a Pharos Station or an Add Value Station.
    • Custom Charge – The user has been charged for a custom charge job.
    • Deleted Custom Charge – A custom charge job has been deleted before it was paid for.
    DescriptionProvides a description for your activity. This includes the name of the job and attributes (e.g. black and white, double-sided) associated with the job.
    Cost Center ChargesThe amount of money charged to the Cost Center.
    My Funds ChargesThe amount of money charged to the activity.

How do I filter my activity history:

To restrict the number of activities shown, you can apply a filter to show only those items that meet certain criteria.

1. Click the Activity tab.
    2. In the Activity Type drop-down list, click on the down arrow next to the column header. Hover over the Filter action and select the activity that you are after.

FilterActivityType.png

To show all activities, select the All Activities (Except Deleted) option on the Activity Type drop-down list.

Supported Web browsers

Due to the number of browsers and how frequently they are updated, it is not possible to test on all of them.  Feel free to try other browser versions that are not listed here.

• Internet Explorer 10.0 or later

• Mozilla Firefox 41 or later

• Google Chrome 46 or later

• Apple Safari 9.0

Guest Accounts

How do I create a guest account?

Any user who wants to use the Pharos Print Center on a temporary basis can create a guest account by clicking the “I am a guest” link on the Print Center logon screen. This link opens a new dialog box prompting the guest user for more information, such as First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and Password.

Note: The guest accounts feature is not supported on Pharos iOS and Pharos Anroid apps.

GuestLogon.png

To create a guest account, click the Create button on the Print Center Login screen. Once you have created a guest account, you can immediately log in to the Pharos Print Center, but you will not be able to print yet. You will first need to add funds to your account.

I have successfully created a guest account. How can I log in to the Print Center?

Enter the email address and password that you used to create your guest account.

How long does my guest account stay active?

Your account will remain active as long as you have funds in your account (i.e. your balance is not zero). If your account has a zero balance, your account will be removed in 28 days, unless your administrator has set a different expiration period for zero balance accounts. You may wish to contact your administrator to verify the number of days your empty guest account will remain active.

Your Print Center may not be set up for guest accounts. Ask your administrator about how to print as a guest.

Credit Card Gateway Integration

How do I add funds to my account?

You will need a credit card, debit card, a PayPal account (this option may not be available) or Kiosk machines to add funds to your account.

1. Click on the Add Funds link.

AddFunds.png

1. Enter the amount you wish to add to your account. A transaction fee will be charged to your account.
    2. Check the I agree to pay the total above box.
    3. Click Continue to Payment. You will be redirected to the PayPal website to complete the transaction. Follow the on-screen instructions. You can choose to top-up your account balance using your PayPal account, credit card, or debit card.
    4. Once you have completed your PayPal transaction, you will be redirected back to the Pharos Print Center to continue printing.
    5. Additional funds will be credited to your User Pays purse.

Note: Add Funds is an option based on your Uniprint License.  Please contact Pharos Support to find out if your license includes support for this option.

Pharos MobilePrint Integration

With MobilePrint integration, you can either send documents you wish to print  via email or upload them to the Pharos Print Center.

How do I send print jobs via email?

1. From your mobile device, laptop, or desktop, send or forward documents to print (as attachments) to the print email address set up for your university (e.g. print@university.edu). Your print/network administrator will be able to tell you what your print email address is.
    2. If your email address is already in the Pharos system, you will receive a return email with a link to the Pharos Print Center website. If your email address is not in the Pharos system, you will receive an email with a link to complete your email registration.
    3. Click the link provided in the email and then log in to the Print Center using your university credentials.
    4. Release your print jobs.

How do I upload documents for printing?

You can submit print jobs by uploading them via the Pharos Print Center. Click the Upload icon and then browse to the location of the document you want to print.

WebUpload.png

What document formats are supported for upload?

• Microsoft® Word
    • Microsoft® Excel
    • Microsoft® PowerPoint
    • Microsoft® Visio
    • Microsoft Publisher
    • Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF)
    • Text (CSV, RTF & TXT)
    • Images (JPG, TIFF, GIF, BMP)
    • Open Office 4.0 or greater documents

Note: Uploading documents to print is not supported on iOS devices.

How do I change printing options before releasing my print jobs?

Note: Pharos Print Center allows you to change some printing options of documents sent via MobilePrint (i.e. sent via email or uploaded on Print Center). You cannot change the document attributes of jobs sent via Popups or standard Pharos Queues.

You can change the following printing options:

• Black & White to Color or vice versa
    • Single-sided to Double-sided or vice versa
    • Number of pages per side (1 pages or 2 pages per side)
    • Number of copies
    • Page range

To change printing options:

1. Select the job you wish to modify.
    2. Select the printer you want to print your job to.
    3. On the Print Options section, select the printing options you want to apply to your print jobs.
    4. Release your print jobs.

ChangePrintOptions.png

Note about changing print options:

Documents sent via web upload will default to Black & White and double-sided. If you sent a document in color and did not change the print option to “Print in Color” and/or “single-sided,” the documents will be printed in Black & White and double-sided.

How do I print multiple copies of my document?

1. Select the job you wish to print.
    2. In the Print Options section, select the Copies button.

MultipleCopies.png

1. Enter the number of copies in the textbox provided. Print Center will automatically re-calculate the cost of the jobs based on the number of copies selected.
    2. Proceed with printing and releasing your jobs.

How do I register my email address with the Pharos Print Center?

If you choose to submit your jobs via email, your email address must first be registered with Pharos Print Center.

• You must have a valid user account in the Pharos system to register an email address in the Pharos Print Center.
    • You may register as many email addresses as you want.

To register your email address:

1. From your email client (e.g Outlook, Gmail), send or forward documents to print (as attachments) to the print email address set up for your university.
    2. You will receive a message to complete your email registration.
    3. Click on the Click to register your email address link. You will be redirected to the Pharos Print Center website.
    4. Log in to Pharos Print Center with your username and password. You will receive a message 'Email address has successfully been registered to your account'.
    5. Click OK.

Your email address will be added to the database and the next time you submit your documents via email, you will receive a reply email showing that your documents are ready for release.

Mobile-friendly web pages

Uploading files directly from your Android device

You can now upload files directly from your Android device (up to 50 MB). Simply log in to Print Center on any supported mobile browser, tap the Upload option, and browse to the location of the documents you want to print.

Note: 

• Web upload is not supported on iOS devices (iPad, iPod Touch, iPhone).

Adding funds

To add funds, tap Add Funds (on the Job List screen). Enter the amount you wish to add to your account. Tap Continue to Payment, and you will be redirected to the PayPal website to complete the transaction.

After completing your PayPal transaction, you will be redirected back to Pharos Print Center to continue printing. You will see the new funds credited to your User Pays purse. This feature requires a Credit Card Gateway license. Ask your Pharos contact or reseller for more information.

After completing your PayPal transaction, you will be redirected back to Pharos Print Center to continue printing. Additional funds will be credited to your User Pays purse.

Viewing Activity History

Click the Activity tab (next to the Job List tab) to view your transaction history.

ActivityHistory.png

Changing Print Options

To change print options, simply select a print job on your job list and tap Print options (next to Payment method) , apply your desired finishing options:

• Color
    • Double sided
    • Pages per side
    • Number of copies

Selecting Cost Center or Grants

To select a Cost Center or Grant, tap on the My Funds area (shown below). This opens a dialog box. The information shown on the dialog box will depend on whether you have used any Cost Center or Grant at least once before.

If it is your first time to use a Cost Center, you will need to search for the Cost Center you desire by typing the name of the Cost Center on the search bar below.

If you have used at least one Cost Center before, tapping the My Funds area will show recently used Cost Centers. Select your desired Cost Center. If the Cost Center you need is not on the list, search for another Cost Center by entering its name on the search box.

Searching for a Printer

To search for a printer, tap on the Select a Printer option (next to the Print button) or tap on the currently selected printer. This will open the search browser and will show recently used printers. If the printer you wish to print to is not on the list, you can search for it by typing its device name, manufacturer, model, or description.

SearchPrinter.png

Supported mobile web browsers

Print Center has been tested on the following mobile web browsers. Due to the number of browsers and how frequently they are updated, it is not possible to test on all of them. Feel free to try other mobile web browsers that are not listed here.

• Native Android Internet browser
    • Google Chrome
    • Safari

Note: The Guest Account feature is not supported on Pharos Android and iOS apps.

Troubleshooting Pharos Print Center

Why don't I see any printers?

Initially, there will be no printers listed in the Pharos Print Center. You will need to search for a printer to add it to your list of available printers.

Pharos Print Center shows recently used printers only. For more information, refer to the “Searching for a printer” topic.

Why is my print job not showing up on the Job list?

If you do not see your job in the job list, you may need to refresh your browser by clicking on the Refresh button or by pressing the F5 key.

Why can’t I change the printing options?

If you cannot change the print options, one of the following reasons applies:

• You have not yet selected a document to print. You must first select a document before the document options are enabled.
    • You have submitted your documents to a Pharos Queue or via Pharos Popups. You cannot change the printing options for these jobs. You can change print options for jobs sent via email or web upload only.
    • The printer that you have selected does not support the print option you have selected.

Why can’t I select a payment method?

To activate the payment method, you must first select a document for printing by checking on the box next to the document you wish to print.

Other Questions

Do I need a PayPal account to add funds to my account?

No. A PayPal account is just another method you can use to add funds to your account. If you do not have a PayPal account, you can use your credit card or debit card.

How long does my job remain in the Pharos Print Center?

This depends on  settings in Pharos Administrator. By default, the purge time is set to 120 minutes (2 hours).

What does N/A under Print Options mean?

N/A is short for Not Applicable. It means that you have submitted print jobs via normal Pharos Queues and not via MobilePrint. You can only change print options for MobilePrint jobs.

How can I tell if the selected print options have been applied to my document?

Hover over the Print Options column to see the print attributes that will be applied to your document, as shown below.

Administration tabs

An account login is required to access the following topics. If you are not already a member of the Pharos Community, please register here.

Reports

Theme

Admin

Custom Charges

MobilePrint