Pharos Print Center for Uniprint - Administrator Help

Version 71

Basic Information

What is the Pharos Print Center?

The Pharos Print Center provides a convenient way to release documents. It's a web portal that enables you to release documents sent via Pharos Popups or standard Pharos Queues to any Pharos Uniprint-controlled printer. With  Pharos Print Center (Standard), you can:

If your system is running the Pharos Credit Card Gateway, you can add funds to your Pharos account via credit card, debit card, or PayPal account.

If your system is integrated with Pharos MobilePrint , you can also:

Mobile Friendly web pages

Print Center has been redesigned to be more mobile-friendly. It has been optimized to work on smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices with different screen sizes. You can now easily use the Print Center on a mobile device with minimum amount of re-sizing, panning, and scrolling.

From your mobile device, you can now:

Note: The guest accounts feature is not supported on Pharos iOS and Pharos Anroid apps.

How do I submit jobs to Print Center?

You can submit documents via Pharos Queues or via the Popup Client as usual. If your site has a MobilePrint license, you can upload documents that you want to print from the Print Center.

Job List

How do I view my print jobs/custom charge jobs?

When you first log in to the Pharos Print Center, the first screen that you see is the Job List screen, which shows a list of documents that you have submitted for printing and custom charge jobs that  you have to pay for.

Column
    Description
    TypeShows the format of the document you have submitted. For example, Text, Word, Excel, etc.
    Title Shows the document name. This is usually the document name from the application that created the job.
    PagesThe number of pages. It shows N/A for custom charge jobs.
    Pieces of PaperThe number of pieces of paper on which the document will be printed. It shows N/A for custom charge jobs.
    SubmittedShows when you submitted the document.
    CostSpecifies how much you will be charged for printing the job(s) or it shows the cost of the custom charge job.
    Print Preview (available only when MobilePrint is installed)

Hover over the Print Preview icon to view job attributes (e.g. black & white, double-sided, number of pages per side, number of copies). Double-click the Print Preview icon to see a preview of the document before printing. Non-MobilePrint jobs (i.e. those sent via Pharos Queues or Popups) and custom charge jobs will show N/A.

How do I search for a printer?

If your printer is not on the Printer list, you can search for it by typing any of the following printer information: Device Name, Description, Manufacturer, or Model.

SearchingPrinter.png

When searching printers:

• The first time you select or use a printer, Pharos Print Center will tag the printer as recently used. The next time you select a printer, you will see only the last selected printer.
    • If you want to select other printers (i.e. those that have not been tagged as recently used), you can search for them by typing the printer information in the text box.

How do I print password protected jobs?

Password-protected jobs are displayed with a 'lock' icon. If the job is password-protected, the password must be entered before the job can be printed. If several jobs with the same username and password are printed, you have to enter the password for each job before printing.

Note: You can configure Uniprint to remove the Popup password for a print job after authentication, so that users can release jobs on Print Center without requiring a password.

1. Select the password-protected job that you want to release.
    2. Select the payment method.
    3. Select a printer and then click Print.
    4. On the Confirm payment and print dialog box, click Confirm.
    5. Enter your password to release the job(s).
    6. Click OK.

How do I release my documents using the Pharos Print Center?

1. Select the print job(s) you want to print by checking the box next to the job type.
    2. Select or search for a printer to send your print job to by clicking on the area next to the Print button.
    3. Click Print to send the selected job(s). A dialog box confirming payment appears.
    4. Click Confirm to release your print job.

ReleaseJob.png

How do I delete print jobs?

From the Job list tab, select the print job you want to delete by checking on the box next to the job you want to delete. Click the  Delete button.

DeleteJob.png

How do I check my available balance?

Your available balance is displayed on the lower left-hand side of the Pharos Print Center, as highlighted below. My Funds is the total balance of all the three purses - Technology Grant, Tuition Fees, and User Pays.

CheckFunds.png

How do I choose a payment method?

When printing your jobs from the Pharos Print Center, you can select where you charge your print jobs to. You can select from the following options:

• My Funds – This is the default payment method. Printing costs will be charged to your personal funds (i.e. internal Pharos account).
    • Cost Center (if present) – Printing costs will be charged against a Cost Center rather than from your individual user account. This option is available only if you have a Cost Center.

How do I charge my print jobs to a Cost Center?

1. Select the print job(s) that you want to print.
    2. Click the text “Start typing to search for a cost center” (highlighted below) and then enter the name of your cost center. A list of recently selected Cost Centers is displayed when you click the Cost Center option.

CostCenter.png

How do I pay for my custom charge job?

To pay for your custom chage jobs via the Print Center, simply select the custom charge job that you wish to pay for. Click the Pay button and then click Confirm when the Confirm payment dialog box opens.

Activity

How do I view my activity history?

Click the Activity tab to view your transaction history. This tab shows the following information about your Print Center Transactions:

Job informationDescription
    Activity DateThe date when the activity occurred.
    Activity TimeThe time when the activity occurred.
    Activity Type

The type of activity performed. This could be any of the following:

• Computer – You have reserved and used a computer.
    • Copy – Your account has been debited for using a copier.
    • Credit – Funds have been deposited to your Pharos internal account.
    • Custom – A custom transaction (e.g. one sent from third-party software to Pharos) has been recorded.
    • Deleted Print – The job was deleted before it was printed. This includes jobs that you have deleted and jobs that have been purged by the system.
    • Fax –Your account has been debited for a fax transaction.
    • Online Payment Add Funds – Funds have been deposited from your credit card or other payment accounts (e.g. PayPal) to your Pharos internal account.
    • Print – This records your print activity and your account has been debited for sending a print job to a printer.
    • Scan – The user has been debited for a scanning transaction.
    • Transfer Funds – Money has been transferred into the user's internal account at a Pharos Station or an Add Value Station.
    • Custom Charge – The user has been charged for a custom charge job.
    • Deleted Custom Charge – A custom charge job has been deleted before it was paid for.
    DescriptionProvides a description for your activity. This includes the name of the job and attributes (e.g. black and white, double-sided) associated with the job.
    Cost Center ChargesThe amount of money charged to the Cost Center.
    My Funds ChargesThe amount of money charged to the activity.

How do I filter my activity history:

To restrict the number of activities shown, you can apply a filter to show only those items that meet certain criteria.

1. Click the Activity tab.
    2. In the Activity Type drop-down list, click on the down arrow next to the column header. Hover over the Filter action and select the activity that you are after.

To show all activities, select the All Activities (Except Deleted) option on the Activity Type drop-down list.

Guest Accounts

How do I create a guest account?

Any user who wants to use the Pharos Print Center on a temporary basis can create a guest account by clicking the “I am a guest” link on the Print Center logon screen. This link opens a new dialog box prompting the guest user for more information, such as First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and Password.

To create a guest account, click the Create button on the Print Center Login screen. Once you have created a guest account, you can immediately log in to the Pharos Print Center, but you will not be able to print yet. You will first need to add funds to your account.

Note: The guest accounts feature is not supported on Pharos iOS and Pharos Anroid apps.

I have successfully created a guest account. How can I log in to the Print Center?

Enter the email address and password that you used to create your guest account. Before you can print

How long does my guest account stay active?

Your account will remain active as long as you have funds in your account (i.e. your balance is not zero). If your account has a zero balance, your account will be removed in 28 days, unless your administrator has set a different expiration period for zero balance accounts. You may wish to contact your administrator to verify the number of days your empty guest account will remain active.

Your Print Center is not set up for guest accounts. Ask your administrator about how to print as a guest.

Credit Card Gateway Integration

How do I add funds to my account?

You will need a credit card, debit card, a PayPal account (this option may not be available) or Kiosk machines to add funds to your account.

AddFunds.png

1. Click on the Add Funds link and enter the amount you wish to add to your account. A transaction fee will be charged to your account.
    2. Check the I agree to pay the total above box.
    3. Click Continue to Payment. You will be redirected to the PayPal website to complete the transaction. Follow the on-screen instructions. You can choose to top-up your account balance using your PayPal account, credit card, or debit card.
    4. Once you have completed your PayPal transaction, you will be redirected back to the Pharos Print Center to continue printing.
    5. Additional funds will be credited to your User Pays purse.

Note: Add Funds is an option based on your Uniprint License.  Please contact Pharos Support to find out if your license includes support for this option.

Pharos MobilePrint Integration

With MobilePrint integration, you can either send documents you wish to print  via email or upload them to the Pharos Print Center.

How do I send print jobs via email?

1. From your mobile device, laptop, or desktop, send or forward documents to print (as attachments) to the email address set up for MobilePrint (e.g. print@university.edu).
    2. You will receive a return email showing a list of your submitted documents and a link to the Pharos Print Center website.
    3. Click the link provided in the email and then log in to the Print Center.
    4. Release your print jobs.

How do I upload documents for printing?

You can submit print jobs by uploading them via the Pharos Print Center. Click the Upload icon and then browse to the location of the document you want to print.

WebUpload.png

What document formats are supported for upload?

• Microsoft® Word
    • Microsoft Excel
    • Microsoft® PowerPoint
    • Microsoft® Visio
    • Microsoft Publisher
    • Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF)
    • Text (CSV, RTF & TXT)
    • Images (JPG, TIFF, GIF, BMP)
    • Open Office 4.0 or greater documents

How do I change printing options before releasing my print jobs?

Note: Pharos Print Center allows you to change some printing options of documents sent via MobilePrint (i.e. sent via email or uploaded on Print Center). You cannot change the document attributes of jobs sent via Popups or standard Pharos Queues.

You can change the following printing options:

• Black & White to Color or vice versa
    • Single-sided to Double-sided or vice versa
    • Number of pages per side (1 pages or 2 pages per side)
    • Number of copies
    • Page range option

To change printing options:

1. Select the job you wish to modify.
    2. Select the printer you want to print your job to.
    3. On the Print Options section, select the printing options you want to apply to your print jobs.
    4. Release your print jobs.

Note about changing print options:

Documents sent via web upload will default to black & white and double sided. If you sent a document in color and did not change the print option to “Print in Color” and/or “single-sided,” the documents will be printed in Black & White and double-sided.

How do I print multiple copies of my document?

1. Select the job you wish to print.
    2. In the Print Options section, select the Copies button.
    3. Enter the number of copies in the textbox provided. Print Center will automatically re-calculate the cost of the jobs based on the number of copies selected.
    4. Proceed with printing and releasing your jobs.

How do I register my email address with the Pharos Print Center?

If you choose to submit your jobs via email, your email address must first be registered with Pharos Print Center.

• You must have a valid user account in the Pharos system to register an email address in the Pharos Print Center.
    • You may register as many email addresses as you want.

To register your email address:

1. From your email client (e.g Outlook, Gmail), send or forward documents to print (as attachments) to the print email address set up for your university.
    2. You will receive a message to complete your email registration.
    3. Click on the Click to register your email address link. You will be redirected to the Pharos Print Center website.
    4. Log in to Pharos Print Center with your username and password. You will receive a message 'Email address has successfully been registered to your account'.
    5. Click OK.

Your email address will be added to the database and the next time you submit your documents via email, you will receive a reply email showing that your documents are ready for release.

Mobile-friendly web pages

Uploading files directly from your Android device

You can now upload files directly from your Android device (up to 50 MB). Simply log in to Print Center on any supported mobile browser, tap the Upload option, and browse to the location of the documents you want to print.

Note: 

• This feature requires license for MobilePrint 2.1 or greater.
    • Uploading on iOS devices (iPad, iPod Touch, iPhone) requires the iOS Pharos Print App. You can download the app for free from the Apple App store.

WebUploadMobile.png

Adding funds

To add funds, tap Add Funds (on the Job List screen). Enter the amount you wish to add to your account. Tap Continue to Payment, and you will be redirected to the PayPal website to complete the transaction.

After completing your PayPal transaction, you will be redirected back to Pharos Print Center to continue printing. You will see the new funds credited to your User Pays purse. This feature requires a Credit Card Gateway license. Ask your Pharos contact or reseller for more information.

Viewing Activity History

Click the Activity tab (next to the Job List tab) to view your transaction history.

ActivityHistory.png

Changing Print Options

To change print options, simply select a print job on your list and then tap Print options (next to Payment method). Apply your desired finishing options:

• Color
    • Double sided
    • Pages per side
    • Number of copies

Selecting Cost Center or Grants

To select a Cost Center or Grant, tap on the My Funds area (shown below). This opens a dialog box. The information shown on the dialog box will depend on whether you have used any Cost Center or Grant at least once before.

If it is your first time to use a Cost Center, you will need to search for the Cost Center you desire by typing the name of the Cost Center on the search bar below.

If you have used at least one Cost Center before, tapping the My Funds area will show recently used Cost Centers. Select your desired Cost Center. If the Cost Center you need is not on the list, search for another Cost Center by entering its name on the search box.

Searching for a Printer

To search for a printer, tap on the Select a Printer option (next to the Print button) or tap on the currently selected printer. This will open the search browser and will show recently used printers. If the printer you wish to print to is not on the list, you can search for it by typing the device name, manufacturer, model, or description.

SearchPrinter.png

Supported mobile web browsers

Print Center has been tested on the following mobile web browsers. Due to the number of browsers and how frequently they are updated, it is not possible to test on all of them. Feel free to try other mobile web browsers that are not listed here.

• Native Android Internet browser
    • Google Chrome
    • Safari

Troubleshooting Pharos Print Center

Why don't I see any printers?

Initially, there will be no printers listed in the Pharos Print Center. You will need to search for a printer to add it to your list of available printers.

Pharos Print Center shows recently used printers only. For more information, refer to the “Searching for a printer” topic.

Why is my print job not showing up on the Job list?

If you do not see your job in the job list, you may need to refresh your browser by clicking on the Refresh button or by pressing the F5 key.

Why can’t I change the printing options?

If you cannot change the print options, one of the following reasons applies:

• You have not yet selected a document to print. You must first select a document before the document options are enabled.
    • You have submitted your documents to a Pharos Queue or via Pharos Popups. You cannot change the printing options for these jobs. You can change print options for jobs sent via email or web upload only.
    • The printer that you have selected does not support the print option you have selected.

Why can’t I select a payment method?

To activate the payment method, you must first select a document for printing by checking on the box next to the document you wish to print.

Other Questions

Do I need a PayPal account to add funds to my account?

No. A PayPal account is just another method you can use to add funds to your account. If you do not have a PayPal account, you can use your credit card or debit card.

How long does my job remain in the Pharos Print Center?

This depends on  settings in Pharos Administrator. By default, the purge time is set to 120 minutes (2 hours).

What does N/A under Print Options mean?

N/A is short for Not Applicable. It means that you have submitted print jobs via normal Pharos Queues and not via MobilePrint. You can only change print options for MobilePrint jobs.

How can I tell if the selected print options have been applied to my document?

Hover over the Print Options column to see the print attributes that will be applied to your document, as shown below.

Why can't I see the 'Go to last page' button next to the pagination buttons?

Beginning with version 3.1, the 'Go to last page' button is now hidden if the dataset is greater than 50,000 records. The database becomes very slow to respond to request for records if there is a large number of pages to go through.

Reports

How do I view funds history?

Click the Reports > Funds tab. This tab shows a list of all PayPal transactions. This can help administrators reconcile Pharos transactions against PayPal transaction reports.

How do I export Funds History?

The Funds report may be exported to a Microsoft Excel comma-separated value (CSV) file. To export the Funds data, click the Export icon on the right-hand side of the Funds screen.

Note: Only users with Administrator privileges can access the Funds tab.

Theme

You can customize the look and feel of your Print Center to match the branding of your organization in the Theme tab.

Changing Logos

To customize your Print Center with your own logo image:

1. Navigate to the Theme > Logos tab.
    2. Select the component (i.e. Header Logo, Guest Registration Logo, or Logon Logo) you want to modify.
    3. Click the Upload button. In the browser window that opens, select the image that you want to replace the original Pharos image with.
    4. Click Save Changes.

The following table shows the three customizable logos in Pharos Print Center.

Header Logo

Located in the upper left hand corner of the Print Center webpage.

HeaderLogo.png
    Guest Registration Logo - Located on the Print Center guest account registration screen.GuestRegistrationLogo2.png
    Logon Logo - Located on the Print Center Login screenLogonLogo.png

Changing Colors

You can change the color scheme on a number of components of the Print center, such as the navigation tab, the header and footer background color and text, the page link color, button colors, and so on.

To change the color scheme:

1. Click the Theme > Colors tab.
    2. Select the Print Center component (e.g. Header  & Footer, Buttons) that you want to change.
    3. Click the Picker icon. This opens a color pallet. Select the color that you want using any of the following methods
      • Enter the 6-digit hexadecimal color code
      • Use the slider on the side to pick a color. Click away from the color palette to select the color.
    4. Click Save Changes.
    5. To return to the original color, simply click on the X icon just above the color picker.

Changing Text

Print Center enables you to change the Text on various elements of the Print Center UI. For example, you can change the Login button, the Login username label, Job Release messages, and so on.

To change Text:

1. Click on the Theme > Text tab, and then select the component (e.g. Login labels) that you want to modify.
    2. In the textbox below the label name, enter the desired text.
    3. Click away from the textbox, and then click Save Changes.
    4. Click OK on the confirmation dialog box.

ChangingText2.png

Reverting text to the default value

To restore the default value of the text, click on the x button found next to the text label name as shown below.

RestoreText.png

Admin

Note: The Admin tab was introduced in Pharos Print Center 3.0. To get more information about Print Center 3.0, please refer to the Release Notes.

The Admin tab allows administrators, cashiers, or proctors to remotely manage user accounts and printing. The tasks that you can do in the Admin tab depend on the privileges granted to your role. For example, a role may have the permission to view user details, but not to update them.

Users

The Users tab allows authorized users to:

• View users
    • Add new users
    • Delete existing users
    • Edit existing user's details (including password, email address, role, etc.)
    • Deactivate users
    • Set billing options

Viewing user accounts

The following properties can be viewed and/or configured for users. Properties are organized into categories:

General

Settings
    Description

First Name

The First Name is displayed on various applications (e.g. the Pharos Station can be configured to show it) and for reporting and invoices.
    Last NameThe Last Name is displayed on various applications (e.g. the Pharos Station can be configured to show it) and for reporting and invoices.
    Logon IDThe Logon ID uniquely identifies a User in the Pharos system. It is used to track the resources a person uses. If you are using an authenticated Windows network environment with an account for each user, this should be the same as the person's network logon.
    Alias

A unique identifier used to display on public lists of users. The user's name is not suitable, as it may not be unique, and their Logon ID should not be displayed publicly for security reasons. A third identifier, the Alias, is displayed on the publicly accessible screens of Pharos applications.

Note: When a user is created, an Alias is automatically generated for them. How the system generates Aliases is configured on the System Properties context of Pharos Administrator.

Password

The password is used with the Logon ID to identify the user when they log on to Pharos applications. Passwords are optional, and may be left blank.

Note: Users can change their password later if the Administrator allows this privilege on the Security tab of the System Properties context.

Card ID

The number of the user's ID card. This information is of use for Network Terminals.

Role

Access to Pharos objects will be based on the roles that are assigned to users. Pharos Uniprint is shipped with the following default roles:

• Administrator role is intended for use by staff who will administer the Pharos system. The Administrator has access to all the Pharos objects and can perform any tasks.
    • Cashier role is intended for use by staff who are trusted to handle funds. By default, Cashiers can credit and debit funds to and from user accounts via Pharos Remote. Moreover, the Cashier can also perform job management tasks such as moving jobs to other Print Groups.
    • Proctor role is intended for use by laboratory administrators and help desk staff. Proctors can log into Pharos Remote for low level, daily system administration, such as purging printer queues and setting user passwords; the SignUp Nerve Center allows them to make block reservations, and SignUp can be configured to allow them to log onto any computer regardless of reservations
    • User role has no special permissions. A User is allowed to interact with the system (e.g. reserve PCs, release their own print jobs), but not to administer it in any way.
    • Advance billing, where users are billed before performing any transaction (e.g. printing a job, using a copier), and cannot go into debt. A user who is configured to pay in advance cannot print if that print job would make their balance negative. Payment in advance requires deposits into the user’s account, which may be through a cashier or via transfer from a cash card.
    • To use cash cards as a payment option for printing, users may be set to either Arrears or Advance. Pharos recommends using the Advance setting to prevent jobs printing if the money on the card runs out.
    Group

User accounts are grouped in the Pharos system for ease of configuration and maintenance. Assigning a user to a group makes it easier to administrate messages: one action covers all users who belong to the group.

Assigning a user to a group is also part of the Pharos security configuration: permissions to use components of the system are assigned by group, not by user.

Active

This property indicates whether the user account is currently authorized to use the system.

You may want to have accounts inactive initially, if the User is to be  billed in advance and must first place funds in the account through an Administrator or Cashier, who then authorizes the user's access to the system.

Custom Field

The two Custom fields allow you enter any other details that may be relevant to the user. These details can be used when interfacing with an external system.

Email(s)

The Email address of the user. One user can have multiple email addresses, separated by a new line in Print Center. In Pharos Administrator, email addresses are separated by commas.

Address

The Address details for the user. The information is stored as contact details if required by the Administrator.

Comment

A free-form text note about the user, shown only in Pharos Administrator or Pharos Remote Admin.

Billing

Settings
    Description
    Total Balance

The account balances for all internal accounts. This value does not include money held in any third party billing systems or on stored value cards.

Technology Grant

Tuition Fees

User Pays

Users’ funds are stored in three separate “purses”, meaning that users effectively have three separate balances, which can be credited and debited independently of one another. By default, these purses are called Technology Grant, Tuition Fees and User Pays. The names of the three purses can be changed to suit the organization.
    Billing Offline Amount

The total amount charged to this user's account while the billing service has been offline (and not yet successfully charged in the billing system).

Billing Offline Limit

The amount of money the User can spend when an external billing system is offline.

This is a separate value from the User Transaction Limit that applies when the Pharos Database Server is offline.

Note: Offline billing is enabled from the System Properties context of Pharos Administrator.

Billing Option

Whether the user's activity is limited to what the account balance can cover. Two different billing options are available:

• Arrears billing, where users can go into debt. Users in arrears can be sent an invoice for charging.
    • Advance billing, where users are billed before performing any transaction (e.g. printing a job, using a copier), and cannot go into debt. A user who is configured to pay in advance cannot print if that print job would make their balance negative. Payment in advance requires deposits into the user’s account, which may be through a cashier or via transfer from a cash card.

Notes:

• If Third Party Charging is used, users should be set to Arrears.
    • To use cash cards as a payment option for printing, users may be set to either Arrears or Advance. Pharos recommends using the Advance setting to prevent jobs printing if the money on the card runs out.

Adding a new user account

By default, only users with Administrator and Cashier roles are allowed to create users. Proctors can be given permission to create users accounts by checking on the "Allow Proctor to create new user accounts where they have Modify or Full Control permissions on a user role" in the User Accounts section of System > Permissions context.

1. In the Admin > Users tab, click on the Create button.
    2. In the General tab, enter user details (e.g. First Name, Last Name, Logon ID).
    3. In the Billing tab, credit user account and fill in other billing options.
    4. Click the Create User button. A new user is added to the Pharos Database.

Editing a user account

By default, only Cashier and Administrator roles can edit existing user accounts.

You can change user’s details such as First Name, Last Name, Logon ID, Alias, Password, Group, Role, Card ID, Email address, Billing Options, etc. from the Pharos Print Center.

1. Go to the Admin > Users tab.
    2. Select the user account you want to edit (click the check box next to the name).
    3. Click the button.
    4. Edit the field(s) you want to change.
    5. Save your changes.

Deleting a user account

To delete an existing account, in the Admin > Users tab select a user by clicking the check box next to it. Click the Delete action.

If any Transaction records exist for the users, they will not be deleted. User’s transaction has to be archived first.

Note: Proctors cannot delete user accounts. Only Cashier and Administrator roles can delete user accounts.

Deactivating a user account

All user accounts are enabled by default - this means that they are authorized to use the Pharos system. Disabling a user account means that, although their details are still recorded in the Pharos Database, that user is no longer authorized to use the system and cannot log on to any Pharos applications.

1. In the Admin > Users tab, select the user account that you want to make inactive.
    2. Click the Update button. Another option is to double click on the user. This opens the Update User Profile.
    3. Uncheck the Active property.
    4. Click Save Updates.

Viewing user balance

In the Users tab, select the user whose balance you want to view. The Account Balance for that user will be highlighted. Clicking on the balance will show balance for each purse - Technology Grant, Tuition Fees and User Pays and the Total Account Balance.

Notes

• You can apply filters to search for a specific user. For more information about how to apply filters, see Filtering Records.
    • If the current balance is negative, the account is in arrears.

Changing User Balances

Normally crediting and debiting of user accounts occur automatically in the Pharos system. At times, though, it may be necessary to manually change a user's balance, e.g. if they need to be refunded for a job that failed to print.

To credit, debit, or set the value to a specific amount.

1. Go to Admin > Users tab.
    2. Select the user whose balance you want to change. Notice that the Account Balance for that user will be highlighted.
    3. Click the Account Balance to open the Internal Balance dialog box.
    4. Click on the Change internal balance drop down list and select the option (e.g Credit, Debit) that you desire.
    5. Use the up and down arrows to add balance and then click on the Credit Balance button.

ChangingUserBalance.png

Note:

• Admin tab does not allow changing balances for multiple users. You can do this on Pharos Administrator or Pharos Remote.
    • By default, only users with Administrator or Cashier roles can change user balances. Proctors have to be granted "Modify" or "Full Control" permission in the System > Permissions > User Accounts section to be able to change user balance.

Queued Jobs

While users can release jobs from Release Stations, secure jobs (jobs in the Secure Release Print Group waiting to be printed) can also be viewed and released by an Admin user from Print Center.

Print Jobs remain in a Secure Release Print Group depending on the length of time specified in the Purge Time for that Print Group. By default, it is set to 120 minutes. Any jobs not released within the specified time will no longer be available from the Queued Jobs screen for release.

Releasing Queued Jobs

1. Navigate to Admin > Queued Jobs tab.
    2. Select the job that you wish to print or find the job you want to print by applying a filter on the Job Owner column. Enter your filter criteria (e.g. first name). This returns a list of all the jobs belonging to the user.
    3. Select the printer you want to send your job to and click Print.

Deleting Queued Jobs

You must have the permission to delete jobs from the Queued Jobs context. By default, all the pre-defined roles (except the User role), including the template roles can delete queued jobs from Pharos Administrator or Pharos Remote.

To delete Queued Jobs, select the job that you want to delete from the Admin > Queued Jobs tab, and then click the Delete button.

Charging printing to another user

Print Center allows users with Administrator, Cashier, or Proctor role to charge printing to another user. By default, the job owner is charged for the job.

1. In the Admin > Queued Jobs tab, select the job you want to charge to another user by checking the box next to it.
    2. In the User charging section, make sure that the Charge to User is checked on. By default, the job owner is selected.
    3. Click on the drop-down list box to select or search for a user.
    4. Print the job.
    5. Confirm payment and print.

If the Charge to User option is unchecked, no user will be charged for the transaction, but the transaction will be logged against the selected user for record purposes.

Printed Jobs

Normally, once a job has been printed it is deleted from the printer's Print Group; however, printed jobs can be retained in the group if the Reprint Holding Period for the printer (where the job was sent) is configured in Pharos Administrator. The Reprint Holding Period determines how long a print job remains in the Print Group after it has been printed (the default is 0 minutes, meaning that jobs are not held at all).

The Printed Jobs tab displays the print jobs that have already been printed. The primary purpose of this tab is to allow user's jobs to be reprinted without charging them again. This may be necessary if the job did not print correctly the first time due to printing errors such as a paper jam.

Reprinting Printed Jobs

As long as a printer is configured with a Reprint Holding Period greater than 0, print jobs can be reprinted without the job's owner being charged. This may be necessary if the job did not print correctly the first time, e.g. due to a paper jam.

1. In the Admin > Printed Jobs tab, select the job that needs to be reprinted.
    2. Select the printer that you want to print the job to and then click the Reprint button.

Although the user is not charged for reprinting, and no transaction is logged, an Auditing alert is still generated by the reprinting action, allowing the reprint to be traced. For a report on all reprinting that has been done, filter an Alert List Report by the Error Code 29059.

Note: Print Center displays all the devices in the system regardless of the Print Group that the job belongs to. Reprinting a job does not reset the Reprint Holding Period for that job - this period is always calculated from the time the job was first sent to the printer.

Transactions

The Transactions tab allows authorized users to view the all transactions recorded in the Pharos Database. Transaction records are read-only, and cannot be altered. Print Center displays up to 20 transactions at a time. You can sort your transactions by clicking on a column heading. Furthermore, you can filter transactions by User, Activity Date, by Server, and so on.

Note: Archiving transactions is not yet supported in Print Center. Use the Pharos Administrator or Pharos Remote if you want to archive transactions.

General

Settings
    Description
    UserThe Logon ID or user name of the user who made the transaction
    Card IDThe identifier obtained from a cash card used for this transaction, if any.
    Print GroupThe Print Group associated to the Queue to which the user submitted the job.
    ServerThe server handling the transaction.
    WhenThe date and time when this transaction was completed
    Type

The type of the Transaction.Any interaction between Pharos and a user is classified as one of the following Transaction types:

• Computer
    • Copy
    • Credit
    • Custom
    • Deleted Print
    • Fax
    • Online Payment Add Funds
    • PayPal Free
    • Print
    • Scan
    • Transfer Funds
    • Custom Charge
    • Deleted Custom Charges

Billing

Settings
    Description
    Amount

The amount of money credited or debited as a result of this Transaction, if any. (For Deleted Print transactions, this is an approximation based on the number of pages; it is possible that the job would have had a different cost if it had actually been printed, due to other factors like Discount Rates or scripting.)

Bank

The name of the Bank through which this Transaction was processed, if any.

Cost Centers

The Cost Center(s) to which the cost of the Transaction was charged, if applicable.

Whether the Transaction should have used a Gateway to a third party billing service but that service was offline at the time the Transaction was made. Pharos keeps a record of the Transaction when the billing service fails, and automatically processes it when the billing service is back online.

Alerts

Any system problems that occur are recorded in one of two places: the Windows Events log, and the Pharos Alerts log. Problems that occur with a Pharos service on startup are written to the Events log; all other problems with the Pharos system that occur at any other time are listed in the Alerts tab.

General

Settings
    Description
    User

The Logon ID of the user who was logged on at the time of the alert (if relevant).

Client

The network name or IP address of the PC on which the Alert occurred.

When

The date and time when the Alert occurred.

Item

The particular application or operation causing the Alert, if this information is available.

Error Description

The following table details about the error that resulted in the alert being generated and recorded on the Error Description category of the Alerts context.

SettingsDescription
    Severity

This field records the nature of the event as one of the following:

• Information - Nothing is seriously wrong, but something has occurred that the administrator might want to know about.
    • Auditing - Confirmation that an operation or event has occurred.
    • Warning - An operation was completed successfully, but a condition was detected that could cause an error later.
    • Error - An operation could not complete successfully and was aborted, but the components are still running.
    • Fatal - Usually means that the problem has brought down a server.
    Error Code

Numerical error code for the Alert. See the Alert Code Index for information on what each error code means.

A description of the error captured by the Alert. If the displayed description text is truncated, place the mouse pointer over it to see the full text.

Service

SettingsDescription
    ServerThe name of the Server where the Alert originated.
    Service TypeThe Pharos service running on the server with which the problem was associated.
    OperationShows what was happening at the time the problem occurred, e.g. "Startup" or "Logon".

Google Cloud Print

Uniprint 9.1 integrates with Google Cloud Print, to allow users to print from devices that do not use the conventional printing route, such as the Chromebook. Google Cloud Print™ is a service that enables any application (the web, desktop, or mobile) on any device to print to any printer that’s connected to the Internet.

For more information on how Google Cloud Print integration works, please refer to the "Google Cloud Print Technote" found in the Pharos Community,

Pre-requisites

Before configuring Google Cloud Print integration, complete the following:

1. Create a Google Account dedicated to administer Google Cloud Print integration.
    2. Pre-populate user's Google accounts in the Pharos Database.  We recommend using the Batch User Load tool to import the email addresses of multiple users. For more information on how to use the batch loader, please refer to the Uniprint Help.
    3. Install Pharos MobilePrint 2.2.1 or greater. Please contact your authorized Pharos Reseller or Pharos Support to obtain Pharos MobilePrint.
    4. Open port 5222 TCP XMPP with a persistent connection to talk.google.com.
    5. Enable the Pharos Google Cloud Print Connector Service on a server where the Pharos API is installed.

Follow these steps to enable the Pharos Google Cloud Print Connector Service.

1. In Windows Services, right-click on the Pharos Systems Google Cloud Print Connector service.
      2. Select Properties.
      3. In the General tab, set the Startup type to Automatic and then click Apply.
      4. Click Start to start the service. Make sure that the service is running.

Configuring Google Cloud Print

1. Check on the Enable Google Cloud Print Feature check box.
    2. In the Active Server field, select the Pharos API server where you would like to run the Pharos Google Cloud Print Connector Service. This server should have external access to Google.
    3. In the Authorization Code field, click the link to acquire your authentication code. NOTE: Make sure that you are logged into the correct Google account before completing this step.
    4. Copy and paste the authorization code shown into the Authorization Code field.
    5. Click Save Changes. If the connection is successful, the Authorization Status should show Valid Authentication.
    6. In the Printer Name field, enter the desired printer name or leave the default "Pharos Virtual Printer". This is the printer name that appears for selection when users submit their documents via Google Cloud Print.
    7. You can now share the new GCP printer via the Google Cloud Print Management Console.

SettingsDescription
    Enable Google Cloud Print FeatureSelect this box to enable Google Cloud Print.
    Active ServerSelect the Pharos API server that you would like to run the Pharos Google Cloud Print Connector on. This server should have external access to Google.
    Authorization Code

Note: Before completing this step, make sure that you are logged in as the Google Cloud print administrator.

This code authorizes the Pharos GCP connector to have access to Google services (i.e. Google Cloud Print and Google Talk) which  are used to manage the Google Cloud Print integration.

Printer Name

Enter the name of the Pharos virtual printer that will be visible to users when printing from Google Cloud Print. The default name is Pharos virtual printer.

After enabling and configuring Google Cloud in Print Center, a single virtual printer is added to the printer list of the Google Cloud Print administrator. This virtual printer must be shared to users before they can use it to print in Google Cloud Print. Once shared to users, it will be available in the list of printers when users print via the Google Cloud Print.

The Pharos virtual printer acts as a Secure Queue and is not associated with any device. When a user prints a job to the Pharos virtual printer, the jobs are not immediately released to an actual printer. Print jobs are stored in the Secure Release job store until they are released by the user from the Print Center, Terminals, and Pharos Stations or purged after expiry.

Queued Cloud JobsShows the number of jobs queued in Google Cloud Print.

Custom Charges

The Custom Charge feature introduced in Uniprint 9.0 R2 SP4 allows lab admin or operators to charge custom amounts for unique items such as 3D printing, lamination, binding, etc. and recover the cost through Uniprint. The Custom Charges tab in Print Center allows users with privileges (e.g. Lab Admin or operators) to view and manage custom charge jobs. It allows operators to create, delete, and update custom charges.

Notes:

• Only users with the right privileges can create, delete or update custom charge jobs. Default roles such as the administrator, cashier, and proctor can view and manage custom charge jobs in Print Center.
    • By default, custom charge jobs will remain in Print Center for 30 days. You can change the default expiry by adding the Custom Charge Expiry Minutes registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Pharos\Print Server\.

Creating a custom charge job

1. In the Custom Charges tab, click on the Create button. This opens the Create Custom Charge dialog box.
    2. In the User field, search the user's account based on their Logon ID or enter their external user account ID. Note: If using an external account (e.g. LDAP), make sure to check on the Non-System User field. Text entered in the user field will not be validated against usernames in the Pharos database.
    3. Enter the following required fields:

Field
    Description
    TitleThis is used to identify the payment at the Release Station.
    Charge TypeSelect the type of item being charged (e.g. 3D Print, Plotter Print, lamination). The list is obtained from the custom charge types defined in Pharos Administrator.
    Secure QueueThe name of the Secure Queue to which the job is associated with for charging purposes. This determines the release stations from which users can pay their custom charge jobs. It shows the most recently used Secure Queue. If you want to use other queues, enter the wildcard symbol * to list all the available queues.
    Total CostThe cost of the custom charge job.
    DescriptionThis describes the custom charge job. A detailed description may be useful in providing more information about the job. For example, you can add the materials used in 3D printing.

1. Click Create Transaction. A new transaction will be created in the Custom Charges tab.

The user can then pay for their custom charge job by releasing the jobs from Release Stations or by clicking the Pay button from the Job List tab in Print Center.

Updating a custom charge job

You can change details of a custom charge job by clicking on the Update button. Edit the fields you want to change and then save your changes.

Deleting a custom charge job

Note: Only “Pending” jobs can be deleted. Charged jobs (i.e. those that have been paid) cannot be deleted.

To delete an existing custom charge job, select the job you want to delete by clicking the check box next to it. Click the Delete action.

The

Charging a user for custom charge jobs

Typically, users can pay for their own custom charge jobs by clicking on the Pay button in the Job List tab of Print Center or by "releasing" their jobs from Release Stations. However, Lab Admins or operators can charge users for their custom charge jobs via the Print Center.

1. In the Custom Charges tab, select the job or jobs that a user has to pay for.
    2. Click on the Charge User button and click OK on the Confirm Charge dialog box.

The user's account will be debited the cost of the job. The status of the job will change from "Pending" to "Charged" and a transaction for the custom charge job is recorded in the Admin > Transactions tab.

MobilePrint

The MobilePrint tab is used to configure MobilePrint server settings and its features. For more information on MobilePrint, please refer to Available Documentation in the Pharos Community page.

Note: Only users with Administrator privileges can access the MobilePrint tab.

General

Settings
    Description
    Accept EmailsWhether to allow users to email their print jobs to MobilePrint. By default, it is enabled. Unchecking this option disables printing via email as well as email registration. This is suitable for sites/organizations who want to implement Web Print only (print by uploading documents to the Web Release website) .
    Default Paper Size for emailed documentsThe default paper size (for emailed documents) the printer will use if not specified in the print job.
    How often to check email server for submitted documentsDefault is 700 milliseconds

Release Options

Settings
    Description
    Include Print Center link in email responsesIf unchecked, the reply email to the user will not have a link to the Print Center website. However, the Print Center website can still be accessed from a browser provided the user knows its URL.

Email Address Registration

Settings
    Description
    Send email response to unregistered addressesWhether to reply to unrecognized incoming emails. If this is unchecked, emails that cannot be verified by MobilePrint will be ignored.

Email Server

Settings
    Description
    Print to email address

The main email address the users should send their print jobs to.

Pages per side, Black&White, Both sidesThe finishing options for this print email address.
    Test EmailSend a test message to the main email address to see if it can be received within 3 seconds.

IMAP/SMTP Account

The IMAP options specify which server MobilePrint should download the emails from. The SMTP options specify which server MobilePrint should use to send out notification emails back to the users who sent the print job.

Typical settings for both IMAP and STMP accounts are:

Settings
    Description
    Host nameName or IP address of the mail server.
    Use TLS ⁄ SSLThe SSL mode used by the mail server, or Unsecure if SSL is not used.
    PortStandard IMAP port is 143, IMAP SSL is 993, standard SMTP is 25, SMTP SSL is 465.
    Username

User name of the user on the email server. For Microsoft Exchange, prepending the domain name to the User name may be required.

PasswordThe password for the Username on the email server.
    Email operation timeout (ms)This is the amount of time (in milliseconds), that the MobilePrint Server will wait for a response from the Mail Server before attempting to reconnect to the Mail Server. The Mail Server will not process any incoming email white waiting for the timeout to complete. The default is 4000 milliseconds (i.e. 4 seconds).
    Authentication required

Whether the SMTP account requires authentication or not.

Email Rules

Email Filter Rules

Settings
    Description
    Print email bodyMobilePrint can optionally be configured to print the email message's body. Check this option if you want MobilePrint to print the email message.
    Maximum emails per user per day acceptedThe number of email messages that can be sent to MobilePrint from one email address. This option can prevent denial of service attack.
    Maximum number of attachments per email acceptedThe number of email attachments that are allowed in one email. If the number of attachment exceeds the limit, other attachments will not be printed.

Email Message Filter

Configure the rule to determine if an email message body will be printed or not.

SettingsDescription
    Filter applies only when there is an attachmentIf "Filter applies only when there is an attachment" and "Print Email body" are checked, filtering works only on an email if there is also an attachment. If this is unchecked, but "Print email body" is still checked, email messages without attachments will always be printed.
    Minimum body length (Characters)The minimum number of words of an email body for it to qualify to be processed, having excluded from the word count all words from the bottom of the email body up to the first 'Keyword'. The purpose of this setting together with the keyword list mentioned below is to exclude signatures/disclaimers from the email body word count.

Signature Filter (for word count exclusion)

This is used to exclude the text that looks like signature when counting the number of characters of an email message body. The signature to exclude is searched from the end of the email back to the keywords found.

Email Attachment Filter

This enables you to configure a list of attachments (using regular expressions) to be ignored by MobilePrint. If the user sends a job that matches the criteria in the Email Attachment Filter list, it will not be processed.

MobilePrint ships with one default Exclusion Regex ^ATT[0-9]*.(html?|txt)$, This regular expression prevents users from printing attachments starting with ATT , followed by any digits between 0-9 and ending with the extension htm, html, or txt. For example, the file ATT0001.htm will be ignored and will not be processed for printing.

Restricted Email Address Domain

Specify domain names (i.e. the section after the @ symbol in an email address) that you want to blacklist. Enter the domain name(s) that you want MobilePrint to ignore email messages from. MobilePrint will examine the domain name of an email message and will not process it for printing if it matches the specified domain.

Allowed Email Address Domains

Specify domain names (i.e. the section after the @ symbol in an email address) that you want to whitelist.The domain name that you want MobilePrint to accept email messages from. MobilePrint will examine the domain name of an email message and will process it for printing if it matches the specified domain.

Notes on Email Address Domains:

• MobilePrint looks for exact matches of the domain names. For example, if the allowed email address domain is set up to gmail.com, email messages from gmail.co.sg will be ignored. If you want MobilePrint to accept email messages from both domains, add them to the list of Allowed Email Address Domains.
    • To set up additional domain names, click the "Add More" link.
    • Do not include the @ symbol when adding email domains.
    • Wildcards are not yet supported (e.g. *@microsoft.com).

Email Text

Email Text Template

MobilePrint sends out email to notify the users the status of their print jobs. These email messages can be customized using these settings.

Print Driver Mapping

When releasing a MobilePrint job to a printer, the documents held on the Pharos server must be converted to the printer's format. Depending on which printer the job is being released to, a print driver on the MobilePrint server is required to convert the documents.

You can specify which print driver to use according to the printer's make and model you are releasing your job to. By default, MobilePrint installs a generic PCL 5 or PCL6 print driver, which is automatically assigned to all the devices in MobilePrint. However, some devices may not work properly (or at all) without the exact print driver for the printer model. You can add printer drivers if the default PCL driver does not work with your devices.

To add a print driver to the driver list. On the MobilePrint server:

1. Go to Control Panel > Printers > Add Printer > Add a local printer. Add a printer using any port. You will change this later to use the MobilePrint forwarding ports.
    2. Choose a printer driver and click Next until the driver is installed.
    3. Right click on the printer you have just installed. Choose Properties > Port. Tick all  10 MobilePrint Forwading Ports (i.e. MPPort000 to MPPort009) and tick Enable printer pooling. Make sure that you unselect the port you have configured earlier. Only the 10 MobilePrint ports should be checked, otherwise your printing may fail.
    4. Go to the Advanced tab and uncheck the Enable advanced printing features. Doing this step will improve document quality.
    5. Click Apply and OK.
    6. Restart the following services:
      • Print Spooler Service
      • MobilePrint Worker Service
    7. Map the print driver to the relevant devices. For each device on MobilePrint (Driver Mapping menu), select the appropriate driver from the drop-down list. This driver must match the PDL of the devices in your Pharos Server.

Black and White Conversion

Converted by Printer - MobilePrint sends the job to the printer as-is. The printer converts the job to grayscale automatically while printing. This is the default and recommended option.

Converted by MobilePrint - MobilePrint converts the job to grayscale before sending it to the printer. Use this option for printers that do not support automatic grayscale conversions or have poor grayscale quality.

Document Types

This screen shows supported document types by MobilePrint.

Server Locations

This read-only setting shows a list of working Pharos servers. The initial values are set during the MobilePrint installation. The Pharos servers will update this list according to the current status.